PDA

View Full Version : Buying a Dell with Ubuntu= Headache

Helios1276
September 9th, 2008, 10:10 PM
So Dell make a big deal of supporting Ubuntu/Linux, however as I try to purchase my new Dell notebook , I'm told that 'this option is not available in your country'. This confused me, as the Dell Vostro (WITH Ubuntu as an option) was on an Advertisement located on...the Irish Dell website. I went ahead and had a 10/15 minute back and forth with their online support. I'm currently awaiting an email. I'll post the chat when I figure out how best to present it. Has anyone else tried buying an Ubuntu loaded Dell?

Comhra
September 10th, 2008, 08:46 PM
It takes 20 minuts to install Ubuntu and it's real easy.

spmccann
September 17th, 2008, 01:23 PM
Comhra

While it takes 20 minutes to install ubuntu I think its more the point of getting it preloaded as advertised. Its frustrating to be told something is available to be told its not, especially when its made in the same country and is being exported to the UK.

Dell did make hoopla about offering this and its false advertising to advertise it on the Irish website if it not available.

For a lot of people who want to buy "linux" laptops they want the comfort of an oem install. In other words they are assured that the machine is going to work and the manufacturer has done any necessary customisations.

Helios

Dell must have a marketing manager we can ask about this?
No point shouting at the sales guys as they don't decide this stuff.

Sean

Comhra
September 17th, 2008, 09:53 PM
Good point that, Spmccann about the adjusting the distro to suit the hardware, the manufacturers are certainly the best one to do that. I didn't realise that Dell were producing Ubuntu boxes right here in Ireland. It's a pain that we can't take advantage.

Helios1276
September 28th, 2008, 03:42 AM
Comhra

While it takes 20 minutes to install ubuntu I think its more the point of getting it preloaded as advertised. Its frustrating to be told something is available to be told its not, especially when its made in the same country and is being exported to the UK.

Dell did make hoopla about offering this and its false advertising to advertise it on the Irish website if it not available.

For a lot of people who want to buy "linux" laptops they want the comfort of an oem install. In other words they are assured that the machine is going to work and the manufacturer has done any necessary customisations.

Helios

Dell must have a marketing manager we can ask about this?
No point shouting at the sales guys as they don't decide this stuff.

Sean

You got my point in one there, I can quite happily install any distro I want, However, paying for Vista? no thanks. Also, as you mentioned, it would be nice to get a laptop/desktop preloaded.

As far as contacting a Marketing manager, I haven't looked into it but still have the pictures of the website as it was then, just for posterity. I'm sure if Dell realised there might be a market then they could correct this mistake. Eitherway , I see them as oweing me one Dell Ubuntu laptop(as advertised).

danemaslen
September 30th, 2008, 12:42 PM

Though I'm rapidly going off the idea of an oem install! I recently bought a PC from Dell with Linux installed and have encountered a major problem: it's still configured to log in automatically as oem, oem is the only member of the admin group (my username, created by adduser during the initial boot is not), and I (of course) don't know the oem password so can't use sudo. And to make matters worse attempting a 'recovery' bootup fails, so I can't even bring the system up in single-user mode so as to add myself to the admin group!

Incidentally don't bother replying with any suggestions for solving the above: I'm going to be starting an appropriate thread appealing for help elsewhere.

Dane Maslen