PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] synaptic package manager help

03impy
September 9th, 2008, 09:58 PM
Ok,
I have chosen two - three apps from the synaptic package manager and installed them, but I cannot find the icon or anywhere else to start the program. what's goin on here?

Thanks.

wolfen69
September 9th, 2008, 10:02 PM
log out and back in. if that does not work, go to system>preferences>main menu, and see if you can add them there.

Cheesehead
September 9th, 2008, 10:24 PM
It also depends on what you added. Some packages are not applications, but are libraries (libfoo*) or plug-ins (foo-ad-blocker) or back-ends (foo-common) or automatic (foo-notifier). Also, many ordinary applications are command-line only, so no menu entry would be made.

If you added an app you're not familiar with, check the manpage to see if it's command line only.

If you tell us what you added, we can probably tell you the problem, too.

oldos2er
September 10th, 2008, 12:21 AM
Ok,
I have chosen two - three apps from the synaptic package manager and installed them, but I cannot find the icon or anywhere else to start the program. what's goin on here?

Thanks.

Not all programs installed via Synaptic create icons automatically; quite often you have to do that yourself. Typing the program name (i.e. firefox) in a terminal will start the program.

03impy
September 10th, 2008, 03:22 PM
I installed aircrack and cant find it. I did go to the menu and try to add it but it wasnt there. I will try to run it from terminal.

Thanks for the info,

Pete

graben3
September 10th, 2008, 03:34 PM
I just installed the aircrack-ng package

I confirm this is a terminal only program, a commandline utility

type aircrack-ng in the terminal to see the option list you can play with

03impy
September 10th, 2008, 03:42 PM
Yea,
I just did it and I believe it is only cmd based.

Thanks,

Pete