PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] grub with dual boot ?

bradw
September 9th, 2008, 09:53 PM
I have read many posts here and I cannot find one addressing my ?. I am so tired of windows and want to dual boot to hardy 8.04.1. Lets say everything goes well and grub works well with dual booting. Now lets say I have a / partition, a home partition and a swap. Now I want to delete the / partition and install hardy 8.10 when it comes out. I assume I just delete root and recreate it and load 8.1. Ok now what happens to grub. When I delete the root, recreate it and reinstall is grub affected at all. I am so tired of reinstalling everything and this is a major reason Im going to switch to ubuntu. Is grub in the root so when I delete the root partition and recreate it to reload the 8.1 version have I hosed myself. If not what do I do when I get to the screen to install.load grub in one of the advanced screens. Do I reload it, uncheck or what.

thanks

Brad

mikewhatever
September 9th, 2008, 10:02 PM
Grub gets reinstalled too. While being reinstalled, it should redetect other OSs and add them to the menu. There is nothing special you'll need to do.

bradw
September 9th, 2008, 10:04 PM
Grub gets reinstalled too. While being reinstalled, it should redetect other OSs and add them to the menu. There is nothing special you'll need to do.

thanks and here I go

mr.moch
September 9th, 2008, 10:06 PM
When 8.10 comes out, you can always use the Update Manager in Ubuntu itself. It'll download the update for you, and you don't have to do anything else!

zvacet
September 9th, 2008, 11:37 PM
Or you can upgrade with alternate CD.Result will be the same as upgrading with update manager,but you wil allways have CD if you need it.Just an option.