PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] help me get rid of ubuntu plz

Ldsjonboy
September 9th, 2008, 08:00 PM
I have a computer that a friend gave me but it has ubuntu on it, and it doesnt even work right and i have no experience with linux computers. It is a dell and it says it is designed for windows so i was going to put windows xp on there. so i dug around till i found my XP disk and i popped it in and then restarted computer. (now here is where im confused...) normally if i start any computer ive worked on with a windows disk in there it usually asks whether to start from the Cd drive or hard drive, but it didnt even give me the option. So i checked in the BIOS and made sure it was set to boot from the cd drive and it was. so i set it so it can ONLY boot from the cd and it just says "press F1 to retry boot or F2 for setup menu". so i am stuck right now with a computer that i cant use for anything better than a doorstop. PLZ HELP!!!

oilchangeguy
September 9th, 2008, 08:05 PM
I have a computer that a friend gave me but it has ubuntu on it, and it doesnt even work right and i have no experience with linux computers. It is a dell and it says it is designed for windows so i was going to put windows xp on there. so i dug around till i found my XP disk and i popped it in and then restarted computer. (now here is where im confused...) normally if i start any computer ive worked on with a windows disk in there it usually asks whether to start from the Cd drive or hard drive, but it didnt even give me the option. So i checked in the BIOS and made sure it was set to boot from the cd drive and it was. so i set it so it can ONLY boot from the cd and it just says "press F1 to retry boot or F2 for setup menu". so i am stuck right now with a computer that i cant use for anything better than a doorstop. PLZ HELP!!!

sounds like your windows cd may be damaged. try it in another computer.

Idefix82
September 9th, 2008, 08:11 PM
I have a computer that a friend gave me but it has ubuntu on it, and it doesnt even work right

So what does not work on it?
I didn't have any experience with linux until a couple of weeks ago and now I would only use windows computers as door stops. Ubuntu is the perfect distribution for novices and people who put up with windows when there are such nice operating systems around are just wasting their computer.

Ldsjonboy
September 9th, 2008, 08:17 PM
So what does not work on it?
I didn't have any experience with linux until a couple of weeks ago and now I would only use windows computers as door stops. Ubuntu is the perfect distribution for novices and people who put up with windows when there are such nice operating systems around are just wasting their computer.

well i got the password from my friend and normally if i put in the wrong name and pass it would just say so but when i put the actual pass in then it just goes to a orange screen and stays there.

Ldsjonboy
September 9th, 2008, 08:18 PM
sounds like your windows cd may be damaged. try it in another computer.

i dont think its damaged cus i even tried putting my windows 98 disk in there but it still didnt do anything

oilchangeguy
September 9th, 2008, 08:26 PM
i dont think its damaged cus i even tried putting my windows 98 disk in there but it still didnt do anything

then the cd drive is damaged.

Idefix82
September 9th, 2008, 08:39 PM
Or the BIOS is damaged?

Red-Shield
September 9th, 2008, 08:48 PM
i am confused can you get to the command prompt alt ctrl F1 ? and if so can you log in? if so can you open a CD at all ? that will tell us if your CD drive is working if so then get another copy of XP if i were you tho i would give linux at least a 5 month trial you will never look back. just try to dual boot and then you will see a great diffrence but try that and see if it works......

Ldsjonboy
September 10th, 2008, 08:10 AM
well i can get to the log in page but when i try to log in it just stays at an orange screen. and im not completly giving up on ubuntu but i need windows on this computer cus it is better than my current gaming computer :) . i may look more into ubuntu another time but all im looking for right now is to maybe fdisk entire hard drive or something. if the cd drive doesnt work i have replacements but i think its just that ubuntu is broken and being stupid on that computer

Ldsjonboy
September 10th, 2008, 08:19 AM
oh and i thought of another question, could i just take the hard drive out and put the one from my windows computer in its place? and if so would there be any linex leftovers...

ronnielsen1
September 10th, 2008, 10:45 AM

Give yourself 2 months learning (Yes there's learning involved) and you will NEVER go back to windows.

Can't your friend help you figure out the Ubuntu?

Re: help me get rid of ubuntu plz
oh and i thought of another question, could i just take the hard drive out and put the one from my windows computer in its place? and if so would there be any linex leftovers...
No leftovers but you're messing up.

Ldsjonboy
September 10th, 2008, 06:47 PM
Give yourself 2 months learning (Yes there's learning involved) and you will NEVER go back to windows.

Can't your friend help you figure out the Ubuntu?

No leftovers but you're messing up.

ok im NOT giving up on ubuntu i just need this other computer for work and maybe some games :) and i know windows well enough to just go with it. i DO plan on learning ubuntu but it wont be right now since my life is kinda hecktic right now. i actually WANT to learn linux and i know about the good it will do me but i just wont be doing it with this computer and not at this time. as for my friend that gave it to me, he cant help me cus he didnt know how to use it and he had a laptop that serves his needs. but the computer in question was his father's and he didnt care for it and didnt really know how to use it himself. hell he didnt even have the ubuntu disk or whatever, i believe that someone once gave him the same computer

Red-Shield
September 12th, 2008, 09:58 PM
look put your other hard drive in and repartion that drive with a windows disk of your choice you will need to have another computer with internet access so you can get the necessary drivers and codecs because you dont have the recovery disc for that lap top and the XP disc wont contain those files so it will take some time but if you do as i say you will have your xp back but will you tell me what processor and how much ram you have and the brand of comp.

Red-Shield
September 12th, 2008, 09:59 PM
or you can fix your linux box but linux is not really a gaming box that i have heard of any way any one out there running any microsoft games???