PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] snails pace Hardy Heron

dennycraig
September 9th, 2008, 06:35 PM
I am running Ubuntu 8.04 -the Hardy Heron and have been loving it. But now it has slowed down to a snails pace. I am not sure what to do. If this was a Microsoft system I would be defragging it by now. But I do not get the sense that this is done with linex. So how does one clean up their system so it will run faster. I do have a virus scanner (ClamTk) and have run that a few times. Yet I'm not sure if it ever gets updated. Whenever I try to update it myself it says I must do that in root. And I have not figures out to root update the virus scanner.

I'm not sure where to start here could someone please point me in the right direction out of snails hollow?

Thanks

philinux
September 9th, 2008, 06:38 PM
Open a terminal from the accessories menu and use the command

See if anything is hogging your cpu etc.

bobnutfield
September 9th, 2008, 06:39 PM
If you are not connected to a netwrok serving files to a Windows computer, there is really no need to have CLAMAV on your computer.

What are your system specs? Processor? Memory? Graphics?

vikram
September 9th, 2008, 06:40 PM
In the command line type "top" to view the processes which are hogging system resources. You may be running multiple processes which you may not require.

what are your system specs ? if you have an older system try XFCE instead of GNOME or KDE

fyi you shouldnt have to defrag linux systems.

billgoldberg
September 9th, 2008, 06:56 PM
I am running Ubuntu 8.04 -the Hardy Heron and have been loving it. But now it has slowed down to a snails pace. I am not sure what to do. If this was a Microsoft system I would be defragging it by now. But I do not get the sense that this is done with linex. So how does one clean up their system so it will run faster. I do have a virus scanner (ClamTk) and have run that a few times. Yet I'm not sure if it ever gets updated. Whenever I try to update it myself it says I must do that in root. And I have not figures out to root update the virus scanner.

I'm not sure where to start here could someone please point me in the right direction out of snails hollow?

Thanks

Dump the Anti-Virus scanner.

Post outcome of "top"

And give us your computer specs while you are at it.

--

Did you do something special before it slowed down (upgrade to new kernel?).

--

It seems you do not really have an idea of how Ubuntu works. You should do some reading on the internet about how Ubuntu works. Start here:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/

dennycraig
September 10th, 2008, 07:33 AM
The only thing I have been doing is downloading torrents.

I attached a screenshot of terminal after I put in "top"

As to the information on my computer you want: it is only about a year old and I have not had any problems so far with it and Hardy Heron. I think it is a 64. Do I have to look inside my computer to find out the type of info you want? Or can I get that sort of info by looking in systems or something?

Sorry about not having that information ready at hand. I do not generally get asked for it.

Thanks for your help:)

hyper_ch
September 10th, 2008, 07:36 AM
(1) install htop

sudo apt-get htop

(2) run htop

(3) press F6 to order the display, select with the arrow keys "MEM%" and press enter

(4) make a screenshot and post it

dennycraig
September 10th, 2008, 05:40 PM
(1) install htop

sudo apt-get htop

(2) run htop

(3) press F6 to order the display, select with the arrow keys "MEM%" and press enter

(4) make a screenshot and post it
when I tried to do sudo apt-get htop I got as a responce: "E: Invalid operation htop"

GepettoBR
September 10th, 2008, 05:44 PM
when I tried to do sudo apt-get htop I got as a responce: "E: Invalid operation htop"

the command is
sudo apt-get install htop

And btw, adding "sudo" before a command is how you run something "as root".

dennycraig
September 10th, 2008, 06:08 PM
Thanks. so far so good. Here is what I done so far:

gene@gene-desktop:~$ sudo apt-get install htop
[sudo] password for gene:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following NEW packages will be installed:
htop
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B/52.2kB of archives.
After this operation, 197kB of additional disk space will be used.
Selecting previously deselected package htop.
(Reading database ... 271018 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking htop (from .../htop_0.6.6+svn20070915-1_amd64.deb) ...
Setting up htop (0.6.6+svn20070915-1) ...

neurostu
September 10th, 2008, 07:51 PM
Next time your system starts slowing down open htop and take a screen shot, then post that screen shot!

dennycraig
September 11th, 2008, 01:04 AM
I entered htop on the command line and attached is a screen shot of what came up..

dennycraig
September 11th, 2008, 01:11 AM
here is another shotattached.

hyper_ch
September 11th, 2008, 12:53 PM
hmmm, seems totem and ktorrent use a lot of cpu.

dennycraig
September 11th, 2008, 05:54 PM
Things are still slow even when i turn off ktorrent. I can try downloading fewer torrents though if that would help.

I am not quite sure what totem is or what it does or how to turn it off or on if tht is an option.

GepettoBR
September 11th, 2008, 06:38 PM
Totem appears in the menus as "Movie Player".

dennycraig
September 11th, 2008, 07:16 PM
OH Thanks. Why would totem be taking up cpu space if I have no movies running? And how would I keep it from doing so?

hyper_ch
September 11th, 2008, 07:42 PM
maybe it crashed... just kill it

dennycraig
September 11th, 2008, 08:21 PM
I turned on thw movie player and then clicked quit on it. But I still see totem playing on my htop. I did notice that when it mentions totem on htop it says "totem-video-indexer". Does it have some sort of indexing program which runs when the movie player is off? How else would I "Kill it"?

GepettoBR
September 11th, 2008, 08:52 PM
just type
pkill totem-video-indexer in a terminal. If that doesn't do it, try simply "pkill totem". You should also make sure that it isn't starting up automatically when you log in. In GNOME, you'd control that through System>Preferences>sessions, but it looks like you run KDE from the screenshots. Sorry, but I don't know where the KDE menus are hidden ;) Certainly someone else here will tell you.

dennycraig
September 12th, 2008, 12:31 AM
I tried your suggestions withough any effect with the totem video indexer. NOt sure what to do next of how to get into KDE.

skymera
September 12th, 2008, 01:02 AM
killall <process name>

Should sucessfully kill any pesky processes.

That is an epic amount of RAM used. 650MB~ RAM and 400MB Swap?? That's not far off my mums Vista to be honest, a few hundred MB maybe.

Find what apps are using a LOT of memory by using htop and sorting.

dennycraig
September 12th, 2008, 03:28 AM
sofar my kill comands have had no effect on the "totem-video-indexer" "totem" operation it still shows up on the htop. I'm scratching my head here.

barney385
September 12th, 2008, 03:52 AM
Open htop, and determine the exact process name for totem.

open terminal: killall process name

Done

neurostu
September 12th, 2008, 04:02 PM
What you need to do is get the PID or the Process ID, this can be found by looking at htop or with:

ps -A | grep totem

Then use:

sudo kill -9 <pid>

This will kill the process. It isn't as nice to the process as killall is, this one forces the process to close.

Antlers
December 4th, 2008, 05:01 AM
Hi I am having the same problem. MY CPU is running almost constantly at 100% (dual core, both constantly at or near 100%). I looked at systems monitor, top, and htop, and totem-video-ind is running at 100% any given second. If I kill totem-video-ind, this helps, but it starts again (I assume because I have transmission running).
If I am downloading torrents I need totem-video-ind right? I'm assuming I do.
I also noticed a post: totem-video-indexer, 100% cpu usage, 3 load...
November 5th 2007, where the same thing was happening. They seemed to think it was a bug...
I am running an HP pc, 4gs of ram, Intel Core 2Duo Processor E6320
Help, thankyou.

GepettoBR
December 4th, 2008, 02:48 PM
you don't actually need anything related to totem unless you're playing a video with totem (if you use VLC or MPlayer for example, you also don't need these processes). Try reinstalling totem, that might help.

Rizzen Virnn
December 23rd, 2008, 11:57 AM
Hi,

I have the same problem.
I don't know when it's started but I just notice that. I was doing some tests with thunderbird and lighting.
Totem isn't my preferred application for multimedia (which is VLC) so I don't understand why totem shows up :confused:

thanks

CraigPaleo
January 1st, 2009, 05:25 PM
sofar my kill comands have had no effect on the "totem-video-indexer" "totem" operation it still shows up on the htop. I'm scratching my head here.

Try the graphical way. Go to System, Administration, System Monintor.
Click "processes" Then right click on the processes you want to kill and choose "Kill process."