View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Changing default media player in Thunderbird

September 9th, 2008, 06:00 PM
OK. Stupid question. But I've search these forums and Googled with no result.

How do you change the default media player (Totem) in Thunderbird? I want to have a choice, actually, so I can open things in VLC, Amarok, etc, etc.

Any suggestions?

September 9th, 2008, 06:25 PM
go to edit>preferences>attachments>view and edit attachments

September 9th, 2008, 06:41 PM
That is for downloading an attachment. I am looking for a way to choose an app when opening a file (.wmv for example) in Thunderbird, instead of it defaulting to Totem. I do not want to have to "save as" every time I want to look at something sent to me. Does that make sense?

September 9th, 2008, 07:18 PM
I've been trying to do the same thing, since VLC seems to play some of these online media types better.

While in Firefox, I can do it via "edit", "preferences", "applications", although mine never seems to work out that way (even though I have VLC specified, it still goes to Totem).

For Thunderbird, I'm not sure what you do. But, even though you didn't want to download, aren't these things already downloaded when you are in Thunderbird? Even if you left your mail on the server it would still need to download the file to play it.

That being said, you do want to go to "edit", "preferences", "attachments" and then click on "View and Edit Actions" to specify what action to take (such as open using....??) for a certain attachment type. I've never done it, but if I'm interpreting it correctly that is where you would need to specify what to use to open.

Dave :)

September 10th, 2008, 03:03 PM
Thanks for trying to help. Going into "View and Edit Actions" gives me nothing...no way of doing anything...might just be my install of it.

I am going to try something else. I will double click to open the file, then when it asks me what to do (save or play with "Default Player" (Totem)), I will choose "Other" and search for VLC and open it that way. Hopefully this will stick and become an option when opening similar files in Thunderbird. Otherwise...grrr...

September 10th, 2008, 04:22 PM
My solution seems to have worked. Now, every time I open a video file in Thunderbird, it gives me VLC as an option.

Thanks to those who tried to help.

December 4th, 2009, 02:31 AM
Newbie Post! ok, I get that once you select an association it will then display in the view edit actions in Download Actions in Thunderbird Preferences. However what if the program you wish to select to associate with a file is not listed, and you need to choose Other and browse...where in the heck do you find the "programs". Yes I'm a new Ubuntu convert coming from the MS world, and I'm used to Program Files. This has to be simple, but I can NOT figure it out or find a post to help.

December 24th, 2009, 03:32 PM
You should find programme files in filesystem/usr/bin. I hope ! another newbie.