PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing Ubuntu on Vista Laptop (Toshiba)

EnigmaX
September 9th, 2008, 02:57 PM
I recently found a great deal on a Toshiba Satellite laptop, which unfortunately came with Vista.

Currently the HD is not partitioned. Should I attempt to partition the HD and dual boot Ubuntu/Vista, or just go soley with Ubuntu? Some of the Vista graphic drivers are screwed up, so a new install of Vista probably wouldn't hurt anyways, but I'm soooo not looking forward to that.

Any suggestions, tips, things I should know or back up ahead of time? I'm assuming my wireless, sound, graphics, etc should work pretty much "out of the box" so to speak?

Kooothor
September 9th, 2008, 02:59 PM
Kill vista, keep just ubuntu, you won't regret it for sure.

drjonze
September 9th, 2008, 03:16 PM
I'm dual-booting Vista and Ubuntu on an Acer laptop. I really only use Ubuntu but I have Vista because of my iPhone and just in case something comes up that I need Windows for. I guess its really a personal choice and you wouldn't really know what you can and can't do in Ubuntu till you try it. My experience has been that I can do everything in Ubuntu I normaly do in Windows except manage my iPhone.

As for things working 'out of the box' it depends on the hardware. Everything I had worked immediately EXCEPT my graphics card. I have a NVidia card and you have to use their drivers. Getting my display set up (I am using an LCD TV as a monitor) was tricky.

I have Vista on its own Partition, Ubuntu on another and I made a third partition that I store all of my files in for easy sharing between Ubuntu and Vista.

The best advise I can give is to always check the forum for answers, whatever the problem, a dozen other people here had it and had it resolved here.