PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] install problem on gericom

uberdonkey5
September 9th, 2008, 10:20 AM
Intel Pentium 4
20GB HD (SATA I think)
Gericom notebook
Windows XP

Wanting to set up my girlfriends computer for ubuntu (she is sick of windows arsing around and the time it takes for virus checking). She tried ubuntu on my computer and was very impressed. I have eventually pursuaded her to do dual boot, but I cannot install ubuntu.

I tried with the CD which I used succesfully on my dell (8.04): after asking for language of instal (I selected Englsih)it processes for a while (seems very slow and mouse is slow) then freezes (not sure if it is slow DVD drive or what). Also, if I try to run from disk gets heron wallpaper but then freezes.

Then I tried unetbootin. Initially I tried to boot from net, and I got a boot in menu for unetbootin install, but it came with an error 13 when I selected unetbootin, and it wouldn't load anything. Using unetbootin I tried to boot from USB. The files are definately there, but when I booted from USB it failed to find the files for bootin.

Any advice? Any more robust method? Is there any specific problem with this computer (starts up with GERICOM on the screen for the bios stuff, not sure if this is the problem).

Any help is greatly appreciated

uberdonkey5
September 11th, 2008, 12:31 AM
Jes' I hate bumping, but here goes...

bumppp

uberdonkey5
September 30th, 2008, 05:32 PM
helloo-o-o-o-o-o-o [echo]