PDA

View Full Version : Hello.

jmh
November 17th, 2005, 04:26 PM
As the forum keeps on telling me I have never posted here, here you go (well, ok, I only joined 3 hours ago but have been looking in for weeks)

I started using Ubuntu when Hoary came out - they sent me the Warty CDs but as they arrived Hoary was announced so I grabbed the image. Previously I used RedHat but was turned off when I bought a packaged copy for the support and then they cancelled the support. Not used other brands - the apt-get functionality here is really useful, dunno how it compares but it is easier that the RH methods IMO.

I dabbled with Gentoo but it would never install completely so I gave up. Never figured out why but that PC is long dead now anyway so if hardware the problem literally went away.

I use most o/s's at work - we run major servers on Linux and SunOS, and Win2003. But for home, as WinXP just blew up on the kids PC and thus got binned, we are 75% Windows-free.

We are almost all WinXP desktops at work but hey I don't have to fix them when they break! (and I admit I still find it easier to get round Windows in a CMD window using the old DOS commands - just as I like the command prompt in Unix)

Got Ubuntu on a server at home (house is wired and wireless, Gb Ethernet and switch, and ADSL connected) with all our music held centrally (now I discovered the packaged thing in Ubuntu that I forgot the name of). Uncle Bill actually helped me out here, as when the kids XP blew I rearranged all the music into OGG files on the server and can play it anywhere now. That server also runs all my e-mail, webmail, several websites and, well, all the stuff you do with Unix anyway.

The next project is a PVR setup, if I can sneak all the bits in past the wife! Trouble is she may notice the PC sitting under the telly :D Anyway I can guarantee I will not be installing Windows MCE.

So, Hi!

SectionThree
November 17th, 2005, 04:51 PM
As the forum keeps on telling me I have never posted here, here you go (well, ok, I only joined 3 hours ago but have been looking in for weeks)

Yeah, I've never posted here either, you know, despite my numerous posts over the past 24 hrs. I think it's hillarious!

Anyway, from one newbie to another, welcome aboard!

Brunellus
November 17th, 2005, 04:54 PM
community chat posts don't count towards your post karma. this is to deter postwhores.

Boris2
November 17th, 2005, 07:01 PM
As the forum keeps on telling me I have never posted here, here you go
Let me get "rid" of this message too :)

I sniffed into (k)ubuntu every once a while, but since a week or so I'm trying to convert my box into a complete kubuntu-enviroment. I used Gentoo over the last two years but got sick of compiling and especially configuring everything myself.

My reason to enter this forum was this posting (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=350924) because I've got the same problem. But the thread is locked, because it's in the archives.

Hello everybody!

rivr_rat
November 17th, 2005, 08:37 PM
id like to say hello and introduce myself...1)I'm an absolute noob to Linux OS..so bear with me if i make a pest of myself :smile: . 2)I've had ubuntu installed for 2 days now and so far i like it..easily installed for Linux illiterates like me. 3)I look forward to meeting any of you and also pestering and learning along the way :razz: .