PDA

View Full Version : If you a lot of Linux experience/knowledge a, What distro would you use?

Ioky
September 9th, 2008, 03:35 AM
AS the Title, What distro would you use if you know a lot of linux (except making your own distro and use it.) and why?

I understand because this is a ubuntu forum. The resolve might tend to ubuntu. But really, what would you use? You can list more than one, if you have more.

get this rolling

Arch Linux: simple, fast, easy to customize, and very up to date.

NOTE: you might not have enough skill/knowledge to the distro you want to use it. This might be the reason you don't use this distro now. But please list the distro you really want to use.

OutOfReach
September 9th, 2008, 03:40 AM
Probably Gentoo... or Arch Linux as you said.

Lostincyberspace
September 9th, 2008, 03:40 AM
LFS is technically a distro in its own right so if I was a super Linux user I would use it.

Gentoo is another good one for an advanced user, but not quite the super user level yet.

perlluver
September 9th, 2008, 03:41 AM
I would and have used Slackware, and Gentoo, and Arch. So I guess I would do LFS.

Kabezon
September 9th, 2008, 03:44 AM
Arch Linux. I gave up on it, couldn't get my network running, therefore I couldnt get GUI :(

Ioky
September 9th, 2008, 03:56 AM
Arch Linux. I gave up on it, couldn't get my network running, therefore I couldnt get GUI :(

Yeah I have that fail on me at the first time I try it too. Well, I was doing on a laptop. so life would be much more difficult from it's nature. But now it is all good, I finally get it running.

david_lynch
September 9th, 2008, 04:16 AM
I've been using linux since 1993. My favorite distros are suse and ubuntu.:KS

I'm working full time and supporting a family, so I don't have time for gentoo :popcorn:

doorknob60
September 9th, 2008, 04:22 AM
Gentoo, I'm probably gonna wipe my old Debian installation and try out Gentoo sometime soon (triple boot on 80 Gig HD FTW :-P)

samjh
September 9th, 2008, 08:08 AM
Any distro that works out-of-the-box.

I use an operating system to get stuff done, not to tinker with all day. For day-to-day use, ease of operation trumps almost everything except reliability.

For a "toy" distro, I'd probably use Gentoo or Slackware.

Interestingly, the man who probably knows more about linux than anyone else, Linux Torvalds, uses Fedora. ;)

revleo
September 9th, 2008, 08:16 AM
have used a fair share of distros including the build your own but prefer ease of use to tinkering for tinkerings sake i am full on ubuntu now but for those that don,t or can't enable multimedia i recommend mint

SunnyRabbiera
September 9th, 2008, 08:36 AM
Debian, as I like Debian based distro's

fatality_uk
September 9th, 2008, 11:10 AM
Ubuntu or Fedora 9

Reason: I keep a spare 250gb for installing "alternate" distros, but I use Linux as my production machine, in fact all my machines, so I can't afford to faff about with reconfiguring a box if I add hardware.

These two distros are far ahead of many as far as I can see. I have used a good few over the last few months in search of a working combo for my old machine.

fballem
September 9th, 2008, 11:25 AM
Have tried Fedora and a few of the others. I will probably stay with ubuntu going forward. It generally works out of the box and is reliable. The applications in the distro may not be the latest versions, but they do generally work. The few that I need at bleeding edge (hplip, eclipse, and netbeans) I have learned to install.

A small amount of 'futtsing' with an O/S is probably inevitable - either to get some stubborn piece of hardware working or to change the orange/brown to something a little more pleasing. Other than that, I don't want to have to think about the O/S while I'm working. With ubuntu, that's where I'm at, so unless it gets broken, there is no reason to fix it.

AndyCooll
September 9th, 2008, 01:25 PM
Debian or Arch

I like the Debian family, my servers run a version of Debian. I just find Ubuntu a friendlier desktop/laptop version of it.

I also keep meaning to try Arch. I've reached the stage where I can do most tasks in Ubuntu without too much thinking. So Arch would be an excellent distro to continue my learning.

I did make a first attempt at installing Arch on my desktop pc a few weeks ago. I wanted to setup a dual boot. However the partitioning tool failed at the first hurdle and simply threw a wobbly.
I gave up then with the intention of seeking to resolve the issue when I have more time ...

:cool:

qazwsx
September 9th, 2008, 01:43 PM
Debian, as I like Debian based distro's
Debian is hard :confused: Etch is quite simple and Lenny is going to be even easier. I consider Ubuntu harder to maintain for longer period of time.

Dragonbite
September 9th, 2008, 02:43 PM
I would probably expand my current distro-hopping adventures and lose even MORE time installing-tweaking-trying-next!

I still find it hard trying to maintain the distros I have (as in not overwriting them with the next fancy, new distro version out there) so I'm using Ubuntu on my laptop since it's easy to setup, configure and run.

zachtib
September 9th, 2008, 02:51 PM
I'm fairly knowledgable, but I think I'd still use Ubuntu. As others have said, I use my computer to get things done, not tinker with the OS. Most of the harder distros don't offer enough to warrant me spending the time setting them up.

littletinman
September 9th, 2008, 06:22 PM
Ubuntu. It's so much fun to mess with, customize, and a great desktop all around.

clanky
September 9th, 2008, 06:24 PM
Arch.

billgoldberg
September 9th, 2008, 06:42 PM
AS the Title, What distro would you use if you know a lot of linux (except making your own distro and use it.) and why?

I understand because this is a ubuntu forum. The resolve might tend to ubuntu. But really, what would you use? You can list more than one, if you have more.

get this rolling

Arch Linux: simple, fast, easy to customize, and very up to date.

NOTE: you might not have enough skill/knowledge to the distro you want to use it. This might be the reason you don't use this distro now. But please list the distro you really want to use.

Ubuntu.

It's not because you are a car mechanic, you want a car that you need to work on every day.

--

If I had a low end machine, I think I would go with Arch. Instead of Ubuntu, but that isn't the case.

gn2
September 9th, 2008, 07:26 PM
Ubuntu.

Yet to find anything that suits my needs better.

elmer_42
September 9th, 2008, 10:12 PM
I've been tinkering with an Ubuntu Minimal Install (thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=911674)), and I have to say, it's fun to mess around with in my spare tiem. Hopefully I can find a good guide on how to add packages to a Minimal Install disk, so I can have a disk tailored to my preferences.

But look at us still talking when there's science to do. I would probably use Arch if I knew how to get my network working, because there's so many aspects you can customize. That or just do an Ubuntu Minimum Install, you can tinker with that too. This is assuming I have a lot of free time and a will to go through with the installation.

If I needed something to "just work" I would definitely use Ubuntu. I've enjoyed it a lot, and the only thing I had to configure was my WiFi card, which was easy enough. On the other side of things, I couldn't even get a wired connection working in Arch. I'm sure that's do to personal failure, but that's the point of this thread, right?

garba
September 9th, 2008, 10:21 PM
i think of myself as an advanced linux user still my distro of choice is ubuntu, need to get stuff done of late ^^

Icehuck
September 9th, 2008, 10:27 PM
I would use any distro that requires no effort on my part to configure. I work on computers long enough at work, last thing I want to do is work at home.

pelle.k
September 9th, 2008, 10:28 PM
I'm fairly knowledgable, but I think I'd still use Ubuntu. As others have said, I use my computer to get things done, not tinker with the OS

i think of myself as an advanced linux user still my distro of choice is ubuntu, need to get stuff done of late ^^

+1

In the long run, debian/ubuntu gets the job done without any fuss (for the most part). You can get pretty down and dirty if you want that as well.
I do have arch installed as well though. I tinker with that when i have the time.

insane_alien
September 9th, 2008, 10:32 PM
ubuntu again.

even if you could rewrite the entire kernel from memory and in binary it doesn't mean you want to have to spend a few hours each day just keeping your systems running, you want all that taken care of so you can do some more interesting things like add functionality to the kernel or fix a few bugs.

besides, you can start off from any distro and completely customise it.

Sealbhach
September 9th, 2008, 10:33 PM
I don't have a lot of time, but I'd like to take the Gentoo challenge (if I could get off this forum sometime).

Memo to self: stop spending all your time in the Boontoo forums.

I wish there were windows forums.:)

aaaantoine
September 9th, 2008, 10:46 PM
I don't have a lot of time, but I'd like to take the Gentoo challenge (if I could get off this forum sometime).

I'd like to try this as well. The only thing holding me back is that I don't currently have any expendable computers available to me.

y@w
September 9th, 2008, 11:13 PM
As far as I'm concerned, it's all about package management and support. You get basically the same kernel in each distro, but with different package management tools. I really like aptitude so I lean towards the Debians of the world (specifically Ubuntu), though Slackware is fun as well. Both Debian and Slackware are very light weight "out of the box" which makes them appealing as well.

On a somewhat related note, most of the time a distro is chosen by much more than technical reasons and personal preferences. Often Red Hat is chosen simply because of its built-in clustering capability and commercial support.

gn2
September 9th, 2008, 11:41 PM
I've been tinkering with an Ubuntu Minimal Install (thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=911674)), and I have to say, it's fun to mess around with in my spare tiem. Hopefully I can find a good guide on how to add packages to a Minimal Install disk, so I can have a disk tailored to my preferences.

Remastersys might suit your needs: http://www.ubuntugeek.com/creating-custom-ubuntu-live-cd-with-remastersys.html

mirhciulica
September 9th, 2008, 11:43 PM
Ubuntu is my first experience gained in this beautiful world :KS ! I like it because it's easy to use and configure. Actually I don't have time to use another distro.

Today, I learn the basics! Tomorrow, I'll take the next step!:popcorn:

Bart_D
September 9th, 2008, 11:54 PM
I'd want something that works right out of the box, rather than one which takes forever to get to a "barely usable" stage. After trying out some popular "out-of-the-box" distros, I have settled on Crunchbang Linux which is based on.....you guessed it...Ubuntu!

Nonetheless, the ultimate mountain for me remains Arch Linux. Last year, I tried going through some guy's guide to installing Arch and it ate me up before I could even burn the ISO....it was damn near impossible to follow what was being said. I searched and found a few other guides but they too were a nightmare to follow. So, if I had a lot of Linux experience/knowledge(as is assumed in the thread question), there is ABSOLUTELY NO DOUBT that I would wipe out every hard drive I could find and install Arch Linux on them all.

plb
September 10th, 2008, 12:10 AM
Debian or Ubuntu because I love apt and I outgrew using distros that break often. I've been using linux for 10 years now.

cardinals_fan
September 10th, 2008, 01:01 AM
Definitely Slackware. It doesn't work with my printer - otherwise it'd be my primary.

jimi_hendrix
September 10th, 2008, 01:19 AM
Ubuntu is my first experience gained in this beautiful world :KS ! I like it because it's easy to use and configure. Actually I don't have time to use another distro.

same for me...and since i havnt discovered the difference in distros other then basic software...ubuntu is staying on my machine

Ioky
September 10th, 2008, 01:30 AM
It seems like for the most part, People either want something to work "Out Of Box" or "Make It Just For Me". Feels like Choosing an OS is not much difference than buying a computer. Either you Buy from Brand which is more like Out Of Box. Or buy all the part, and Build your Own, so it is Just for yourselve. How interesting.

dspari1
September 10th, 2008, 08:40 AM
I would stay with Ubuntu/Kubuntu anyways. Why would I want to switch to a distro that doesn't have a repository as finished and defined as the Ubuntu repository?

Since using Kubuntu, dependency hell has never been an issue

userundefine
September 10th, 2008, 08:53 AM
Any distro that works out-of-the-box.

I use an operating system to get stuff done, not to tinker with all day. For day-to-day use, ease of operation trumps almost everything except reliability.
Agreed. I've been running linux for 4 years solid, and while I'm no master and there are MANY more knowledgeable linux users than myself, I can handle the system. That said, I don't feel the need to constantly mess with stuff. My computer is not a project (unless I'm building a myth box or something like that). I use it to get things done. As it stands, ubuntu has been working for me for two good years and I see no reason to change to a more "advanced" distro. I've played with many in the past, even ran gentoo on my laptop for a few months while I booted to a CLI environment to get on the net and such. But now I just use the computer as a means to an end.