PDA

View Full Version : iQuestion: how do developers earn in linux ?

imgkg
September 9th, 2008, 03:33 AM
i have question (pretty much silly maybe i am not aware of lot of things) if everything is for free in linux then how do developers earn in developing various applications etc and what is this license agreement all about why does someone need a license agreement when you are giving it for free with source codes etc and that too for free

OutOfReach
September 9th, 2008, 03:41 AM
By sponsors backing up the project, or if you are working in a software company they will pay you. I would guess.

NovaAesa
September 9th, 2008, 03:44 AM
i have question (pretty much silly maybe i am not aware of lot of things) if everything is for free in linux then how do developers earn in developing various applications etc
Generally, money will be made from support rather than the actual software itself being sold. E.g. Cananical doesn't charge for Ubuntu, but it charges for supplying support. And then of course there are the commerical Linux apps such as Cedega and Quake Wars:ET.

and what is this license agreement all about why does someone need a license agreement when you are giving it for free with source codes etc and that too for free
The GPL is still a (relatively) strict license. You can't do whatever you want with the source code. For example, you can't use the source to make an application that is distributed without the source code.

ad_267
September 9th, 2008, 03:54 AM
This page gives some interesting insight into Linux kernel development and the companies that support it: https://www.linuxfoundation.org/publications/linuxkerneldevelopment.php

None of these companies are supporting Linux development as an act of charity; in each case, these companies find that improving the kernel helps them to be more competitive in their markets.

imgkg
September 9th, 2008, 03:57 AM
and what would a supporting or sponsoring company get from merely sponsering the product after all they are paying so what do they get in share whats the motivation behind it ?

ad_267
September 9th, 2008, 04:16 AM
and what would a supporting or sponsoring company get from merely sponsering the product after all they are paying so what do they get in share whats the motivation behind it ?

There's examples in the link I posted. That's for the Linux kernel but the same thing applies for other products. A movie making company might sponsor work on Blender so that they can make better 3d effects with the software.

* Companies like IBM, Intel, SGI, MIPS, Freescale, HP, etc. are all working to ensure that Linux runs well on their hardware. That, in turn, makes their offerings more attractive to Linux users, resulting in increased sales.
* Distributors like Red Hat, Novell, and MontaVista have a clear interest in making Linux as capable as it can be. Though these firms compete strongly with each other for customers, they all work together to make the Linux kernel better.
* Companies like Sony, Nokia, and Samsung ship Linux as a component of products like video cameras, television sets, and mobile telephones. Working with the development process helps these companies ensure that Linux will continue to be a solid base for their products in the future.
* Companies which are not in the information technology business can still find working with Linux beneficial. The 2.6.25 kernel will include an implementation of the PF_CAN network protocol which was contributed by Volkswagen. PF_CAN allows for reliable communications between components in an interference-prone environment – such as that found in an automobile. Linux gave Volkswagen a platform upon which it could build its networking code; the company then found it worthwhile to contribute the code back so that it could be maintained with the rest of the kernel. http://lwn.net/Articles/253425/ for more information on this work.