PDA

View Full Version : after macs switch to intel...

fuscia
November 17th, 2005, 03:54 PM
will ubuntu still make a ppc version?

Brunellus
November 17th, 2005, 03:56 PM
sure. there are lots of ppc macs out there, still, and the older ones (which used to run OS 9) are excellent canddiates for ubuntu-ization.

KingBahamut
November 17th, 2005, 04:07 PM
Despite many popular thoughts about this, because Apple is going to intel procs it does not mean the total end of PPC Procs in their systems, and certainly not the end of PPC outside of what IBM can market it. Nature abhores a vaccuum, if Apple doesnt build PPC machine, Im sure IBM will find someone who will.

quietglow
November 17th, 2005, 04:08 PM
There are some of us who were "reality distortion field-ed" well enought that we actually prefer the PPC hardware! :-)

fuscia
November 17th, 2005, 06:45 PM
this article from think secret is reporting the first intel ibook will be 'revealed' in january. http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0511intelibook.html
sounds like it's not ready.

mcmillan
November 18th, 2005, 06:48 AM
I've heard from many sources that the intel mac chips are still going to be mac specific. So it seems like there's still going to need a special version of linux to run on these new chips. I'm not sure if they're going to be built in a way that the old PPC software would be compatible with the new chips or not though.

Sirin
November 18th, 2005, 07:19 AM
will ubuntu still make a ppc version?

PowerPC Technology is not exclusive to Macintosh computers. ;)

aysiu
November 18th, 2005, 07:21 AM
Linux will find a way.
If a regular x86 will work on the MacIntels, it will.
If it won't, Linux will find a way...

tombo_m6
November 19th, 2005, 05:22 PM
I've heard from many sources that the intel mac chips are still going to be mac specific. So it seems like there's still going to need a special version of linux to run on these new chips. I'm not sure if they're going to be built in a way that the old PPC software would be compatible with the new chips or not though.

I doubt Intel will make mac specific chips. It would be much easier and less expensive to use the same chips cross platform. Even if they were mac specific the functional differences between a PC chip and Mac chip will be extremely small.

Does anyone have any facts/reliable sources on this?

Sirin
November 19th, 2005, 07:07 PM
Linux will find a way.
If a regular x86 will work on the MacIntels, it will.
If it won't, Linux will find a way...

Well, it would be possible if the Linux community were so seperated, like we are now. ;)

xequence
November 19th, 2005, 08:16 PM
The macintel chips will be the same as normal old x86 chips, except for OSX will have a trusted hardware thingy where it will only be able to run on mac branded x86 chips.

Of course, as with everything, it was cracked in the form of OSx86 :P

Now personally I wish they would use AMD instead.