PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu 9.04 announced with Google backing!

phrostbyte
September 9th, 2008, 02:54 AM
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel-announce/2008-September/000481.html

All the excitement about Intrepid and Shuttleworth goes and announces a new Ubuntu release! :lolflag:

tdrusk
September 9th, 2008, 02:58 AM
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel-announce/2008-September/000481.html

All the excitement about Intrepid and Shuttleworth goes and announces a new Ubuntu release! :lolflag:
hmm neat?

doas777
September 9th, 2008, 03:09 AM
hmm. I didn't see anything about google per se. we shall have to see. i wouldn;t mind seeing them push linux forward, but i do have concerns about their notions on privacy (eg: we have none).

every version of ubuntu I've upgraded thru has seemed a real upgrade over the previous. I am hopeful that this trend will continue unabated.

that said, I do hope they don;t name it jaunty jackalope. it wouldn't suprise me, but I'd really rather they didn't.

I would personally put better nvidia drivers at the top of the list for improvements, but thats just me.

have fun,
franklin

days_of_ruin
September 9th, 2008, 03:13 AM
hmm. I didn't see anything about google per se. we shall have to see. i wouldn;t mind seeing them push linux forward, but i do have concerns about their notions on privacy (eg: we have none).

every version of ubuntu I've upgraded thru has seemed a real upgrade over the previous. I am hopeful that this trend will continue unabated.

that said, I do hope they don;t name it jaunty jackalope. it wouldn't suprise me, but I'd really rather they didn't.

I would personally put better nvidia drivers at the top of the list for improvements, but thats just me.

have fun,
franklin

I don't care what the name is as long as it doesn't mean anything stupid
or vulgar.

tuxxy
September 9th, 2008, 03:13 AM
There are some specific goals that we need to meet in Jaunty. One of
them is boot time. We want Ubuntu to boot as fast as possible - both in
the standard case, and especially when it is being tailored to a
specific device. The Jackalope is known for being so fast that it's
extremely hard to catch, and breeds only when lightning flashes. Let's
see if we can make booting or resuming Ubuntu blindingly quick.

oh yes! amen to that, I cant wait for Jaunty now nevermind Ibex :lolflag:

MaxIBoy
September 9th, 2008, 03:20 AM
Hey, at least the name is better than Raping Rabbit.

ad_267
September 9th, 2008, 03:23 AM
I've only been using Ubuntu since 7.10 but the improvement in 8.04 was pretty obvious and it seems like Ubuntu just gets better and better every time. I can't wait till 9.04!

cdaringe
September 9th, 2008, 03:27 AM
i think our development community does an excellent job of:
a) forecasting development projects to meet the needs of the general community
b) choosing to work on features that are progressive/innovative and that enhance system functionality for the end user
c) realizing their set goals by there deadlines

with that said, I think "jaunty" will knock our socks off, just as so many releases have done before.

thanks for the post

OutOfReach
September 9th, 2008, 03:30 AM
I really liked that they will slim down the boot time. (Meaning less bloat?)
I can't wait for it! :)

ad_267
September 9th, 2008, 03:45 AM
Haha I just had a look at what a Jackalope actually is. It's not even a real animal, it's a cross between an antalope and a jackrabbit. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackalope

tdrusk
September 9th, 2008, 03:55 AM
Haha I just had a look at what a Jackalope actually is. It's not even a real animal, it's a cross between an antalope and a jackrabbit. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackalope
Hmm... This seems to break a trend...
Well it's better than jumping jackass.

Lostincyberspace
September 9th, 2008, 03:56 AM

Actually its a cross between a deer and a rabbit in most cases, deer antlers are cheap in the western USA states, where as antelope are rarer and are worth a pretty penny. it all kind of adds to gether to make a really weird and rare animal.

tdrusk
September 9th, 2008, 03:57 AM
Woah. Why not Jaunty Jaguar? They are fast too...

vishzilla
September 9th, 2008, 04:00 AM
Jaunty Jackalope? Are the names getting quirky? Jaguar sounds good, but it will seem as one of the Mac Family.

FuturePilot
September 9th, 2008, 04:02 AM
Woah. Why not Jaunty Jaguar? They are fast too...

Apple would probably not like that. :|

overdrank
September 9th, 2008, 04:10 AM
jumping jackass.

Did someone call. :)

Cl0ud9
September 9th, 2008, 04:22 AM
I don't care what the name is as long as it doesn't turn into Justifiable Junk.

zmjjmz
September 9th, 2008, 04:29 AM
I updated the Wikipedia page.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackalope#Appearances_in_popular_culture
Chances are the changes will be reverted.

-grubby
September 9th, 2008, 04:32 AM
I updated the Wikipedia page.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackalope#Appearances_in_popular_culture
Chances are the changes will be reverted.

dang wikipedians..

zmjjmz
September 9th, 2008, 04:38 AM
Actually, does anyone remotely decent at Wikipedia editing want to put links into the line I submitted? Like the articles on Ubuntu, Canonical, and Mark...

FuturePilot
September 9th, 2008, 04:41 AM
Did someone call. :)

ROFL :lolflag:

EnGorDiaz
September 9th, 2008, 05:05 AM
i cant wait till 10.04 aparently theres some very advanced scrtipting options by then and aloads of security

Hexagrapher666
September 9th, 2008, 05:09 AM
Actually its a cross between a deer and a rabbit in most cases

Sure, the folklorish jackalope is a chimerical mix of rabbit and cervid, but real "jackalopes" are just rabbits with [sometimes fatal] "antler-like" tumors caused by a Shope papilloma infection (http://ww2.lafayette.edu/~hollidac/jacksforreal.html). Does Canonical really want to name one of their releases after a deformed, diseased, dying animal? Since Shuttleworth already announced Jaunty Jackalope as the codename, some continuity could be maintained if they simply changed the codename to an uninfected Jaunty Jackrabbit.

Keyper7
September 9th, 2008, 05:12 AM

I'm not sure, but I think never in Ubuntu's history the name announced in the mailing list changed before the release, so your odds are quite low.

You would put it at the top of the list, and then what? Let it stay there while you wait for nvidia to release new drivers? I think the "list for improvements" should have only improvements that Canonical can make without waiting for third-party efforts, specially considering that they follow a fixed release cycle.

jrusso2
September 9th, 2008, 06:13 AM
Maybe I missed it but where does it say google is backing it?

graabein
September 9th, 2008, 08:42 AM
Apple would probably not like that. :|

That's what I hate about companies copyrighting everything. They take away our language. How about the animal itself or the car? Who do I pay if I want to pick an apple off a tree? Paul McCartney or Steve Jobo?

:evil: :-#

Maybe I missed it but where does it say google is backing it?

Second paragraph:

Jaunty, the code name for what will most likely become Ubuntu 9.04, will be the focus of our efforts from November through to April next year. We will be gathering forces in Mountain View on 8th - 12th December to survey the upstream landscape and finalize Jaunty plans, enjoying the excellent hospitality of Google and Silicon Valley's abundance of talent and innovation. The Ubuntu Developer Summit is the social and strategic highlight of each release cycle and it would be a great pleasure to welcome you there.

Looking forward to the next Ubuntu as always. Reduced boot time would be great!

uberdonkey5
September 9th, 2008, 11:18 AM
QUOTE from Franklin
"every version of ubuntu I've upgraded thru has seemed a real upgrade over the previous. I am hopeful that this trend will continue unabated."

Yes, I agree. Ubuntu is not trying to make profit with extra gadgets (like windows). We should be heading asymtotically towards a 'perfect'* operating system. The ability to streamline ubuntu for speed whilst retaining windows functionality is my main reason for using it. If ubuntu gets too large I would use a different distro.

I also think the promise of an upgrade every 6 months needn't be held to. Upgrading is worrying due to new bugs.

I DON'T want more flashy graphics (Compiz is a waste of space in my opinion). I think a priority is to have a single ubuntu site (which could be mirrored) allowing ALL the options for download with a guide (maybe even you select your computer type and whether to dual boot and it downloads directly from net). People struggle to install ubuntu still on the different computers. Surely there has been enough installs by people to present this in a better way for newbies? I think the MAIN reason people quit linux is because the install doesn't work (and drivers etc don't work properly). Following the windows route of more gadgets and flshier graphics for standard installs I think would be a big mistake.

*OK people have different requirements, but synaptic package manager & available software allows this to be catered for.

rab4567
September 9th, 2008, 12:40 PM
I also think the promise of an upgrade every 6 months needn't be held to. Upgrading is worrying due to new bugs.

I DON'T want more flashy graphics (Compiz is a waste of space in my opinion). I think a priority is to have a single ubuntu site (which could be mirrored) allowing ALL the options for download with a guide (maybe even you select your computer type and whether to dual boot and it downloads directly from net). People struggle to install ubuntu still on the different computers. Surely there has been enough installs by people to present this in a better way for newbies? I think the MAIN reason people quit linux is because the install doesn't work (and drivers etc don't work properly). Following the windows route of more gadgets and flshier graphics for standard installs I think would be a big mistake.

I think priority should be given to

1. Gnash since adobe doesn't want to open up their specs to linux we must go our own way to make a proper flash player that won't break, and get this make it available across platform.

2. Pulse audio, take it out or fix it.

3. Hurry up on the ati graphics cards drivers.

4. Make audacity truly work in linux and pretty it up a little.

5. We need to put pressure on all printer manufacturers and make them linux compatible.

These are major deal breakers if we want world domination, we must get these things done before windows 7 comes out. WE MUST!

whitefang5412
September 9th, 2008, 01:31 PM
I don't even think I will bother with 8.10 since 8.04 is the LTS version, and just hold out for 9.04. I'm liking the sounds of this. Sounds freaking awesome. 7,10 was just a waste of space for me and I found myself using linux mint and other distro's, or going back to 7.04. 9.04 hurry up! White fang is waiting. :)

zachtib
September 9th, 2008, 01:41 PM
i cant wait till 10.04 aparently theres some very advanced scrtipting options by then and aloads of security

I'm still waiting for 57.10 I hear in that release, Ubuntu will be self aware and take over the world,

:P

nowin4me
September 9th, 2008, 01:49 PM
These are major deal breakers if we want world domination, we must get these things done before windows 7 comes out. WE MUST!

I think your thinking way ahead of time here.

Windows 7 is expected to be released in January 2010. The client versions of Windows 7 will ship in both 32-bit and 64-bit versions.
From Wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7

Linux Ubuntu would of at least released anther 3 versions before Windows 7 Ubuntu would probably be on 9.10 before Windows 7 is released.

So relax and enjoy what you have got NOT what you haven't got.
And remember it's MICROSOFT they always/usaly screw up Windows 7 probably would make Ubunutu more popular

:lolflag:

Canis familiaris
September 9th, 2008, 01:51 PM
Jaunty Jackalope! It's Funny.

gwenn
September 9th, 2008, 02:10 PM
Is better Inteprind as a name.Jackalope sound strange for most of the people...
I'm with 8.10 right now,and yes,there are better invidia drivers.And is MUCH better and stable than Hardy!

Hells_Dark
September 9th, 2008, 03:17 PM
I found the name quite odd...
But I’ve already been used to it. And now, i like it :)

rab4567
September 9th, 2008, 05:36 PM
Linux Ubuntu would of at least released anther 3 versions before Windows 7 Ubuntu would probably be on 9.10 before Windows 7 is released.

So relax and enjoy what you have got NOT what you haven't got.
And remember it's MICROSOFT they always/usaly screw up Windows 7 probably would make Ubunutu more popular

You must see the big picture by making gnash across platform you force Mi$rosoft into a defensive position with silverlight and push adobe to open up its software to linux or at least make an improvement. This takes time at least a year to get things going, gnash needs money and developers so it will be ready by 2010. All the points I made in the previous post need be to implemented as soon as possible.