PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Update stopped working

nicholas.hall
September 9th, 2008, 02:47 AM
I try to update and get this message.

Failed to fetch cdrom:[Ubuntu 8.04.1 _Hardy Heron_ - Release i386 (20080702.1)]/dists/hardy/main/binary-i386/Packages.gz Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs
Failed to fetch cdrom:[Ubuntu 8.04.1 _Hardy Heron_ - Release i386 (20080702.1)]/dists/hardy/restricted/binary-i386/Packages.gz Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs
Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

What does this mean? I have 54 of 55 updates but this causes it to stop updating.

frankleeee
September 9th, 2008, 03:08 AM
go to software sources in system administration and untick the cd read

nicholas.hall
September 9th, 2008, 05:48 AM
Thank You very much. It worked..I am new with this operating system..I like it but need to learn more about it. Thank You, Nick

frankleeee
September 9th, 2008, 05:55 AM
Thank You very much. It worked..I am new with this operating system..I like it but need to learn more about it. Thank You, Nick

A lot of new users don't know about checking the software resources. I have installed, and even knowing about this forgot to check. Glad it worked.