PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 8.04 File System error during Install

Beetlesworth
September 9th, 2008, 02:01 AM
Evening ladies and gents, I'll start off by saying I am a complete Linux newbie and I mean COMPLETE. My PC was due a format and I I'd heard good things about Linux so I thought I'd give it a go. I downloaded the latest release of Ubuntu from the website no trouble, burnt it to a disk and rebooted. that was approximately 5 hours ago now. I fear it's something simple, but I've been searching for quite a while and The exact problem hasn't been addressed on the forums yet to my knowledge so I'm going to crack and post the question.

When I try to install it onto the disk, every single time it boots me out at around 5% saying that it could not create the file system ex3 or something. If I allocate the partitions manually, it gives the same message, just stating the swap partition could not be created instead.

Now I've already tried downloading the Gnome partition tool and partitioning the drives manually, but that ended up giving me a completely different error altogether - Ubuntu wouldn't even boot. I had to go back into the partition manager and delete the partitions just so it'd let me come and post this.

At the moment I'm attempting to install Ubuntu on a 200GB SATA hard drive which is the only one currently connected. I also have a 500GB one which I hope to use to dual boot the machine with Vista - It's currently formatted with NTFS and has ~100GB of Movies, Music and Work on - The files I'm saving so I'd rather not format it. Anyway, at the moment I'm concentrating on getting Ubuntu up and running.

So I'd be really appreciative if someone could set me on the right path here, I'm sorry for the lack of information, If necessary I could try again with all the methods I've tried and write the exact error messages down, but I'm a bit cautious just in case I can't get an OS running again, I seem to project some sort of Aura that makes things worse the more I mess with them. :P

Anyway, I'd rather not be forced back into using nothing but Vista, from what I've seen of Ubuntu it's pretty damn good. I just wish it'd install permanently. : /

P.S. I'm attempting to run the 64bit version if that has any bearing on things.

P.P.S. Sorry if the posts' a bit incoherent, It's already late here and I'm determined not to go to bed until this is resolved. SLEEP IS FOR THE WEAK. :P

xymor
September 9th, 2008, 02:19 AM
Did you try the guided partitioning?

When you manually formatted the drive did you create a swap partition?

Beetlesworth
September 9th, 2008, 02:23 AM
Thanks for the reply and Yes to both, I lurked a fair amount on these forums and I tried a few different methods. The Guided Partition was the first one I ever tried. I figured out the swap file thing shortly after I failed the first manual install. : /