PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Manual Partitioning of Ubuntu 8.04.1

cbarnes48
September 9th, 2008, 12:52 AM
When I check the "Manual" button during my attempted installation of Hardy Heron 8.04.1, I do NOT see any option for creating the necessary "swap" partition! :confused::mad: I know I'm not imaging this - I've looked at the entire drop-down list again and again in the Partition Table and just don't see a swap partition listed anywhere. So, how am I supposed to set it up?

Is it just my computer flaking out? I am trying to install on an Acer Aspire desktop PC bought this past Christmas. Also, just how large in size should the swap partition be, since I've seen "optimal" settings/sizes that are all over the place!

One last question, please. Time and time again, I see a button saying
"Missing Plugin(s)" when I attempt to watch a (streaming or other type of) video or listen to a sound clip. What is so confusing to me is that when I click on the "Install" button, I have NO idea where to put the plugin or application software, where or how to find it after it is "installed" and most confusing and frustrating of all - how to get software that is supposed to be already installed to actually run or play. When I return to the page where it says the Plugin(s) was/were missing, I STILL can't view the video or presentation and the button still says the required software is missing. Good grief!! I am totally lost here.

Lastly, when asked to make a choice of what type of video plugin to choose to watch a video clip, what should I choose? Not even sure of this.

Hope somebody can give me some answers that I can understand and follow. I am a complete newbie to Linux. Thanks to all! :)