niccholaspage
September 9th, 2008, 12:17 AM
So heres just some fun code I messed with:

if nga=1 {
zenity --info --title "NGA" --text "Computer Validated.This computer uses NGA."
}
else
{
zenity --info --title "NGA" --text "Computer Validated.This computer does not use NGA."
}
fi
I get this error while executing the code:

validate-nga.sh: 3: Syntax error: "}" unexpected (expecting "then")Oh and is nga=1 right to read an environment variable from the system?

mssever
September 9th, 2008, 12:32 AM
So heres just some fun code I messed with:

if [[ $nga -eq 1 ]]; then
zenity --info --title "NGA" --text "Computer Validated.This computer uses NGA."
else
zenity --info --title "NGA" --text "Computer Validated.This computer does not use NGA."
fi

niccholaspage
September 9th, 2008, 12:38 AM
OH! The programming language I used before let me use { and } without any problems.Thank you.

DaymItzJack
September 9th, 2008, 01:19 AM
OH! The programming language I used before let me use { and } without any problems.Thank you.

Every programming language is different.

niccholaspage
September 9th, 2008, 01:30 AM
Oh and one more thing....The environment variable should be set like this,Right?

export nga=1
I used the script and it said my computer is not validated.

mssever
September 9th, 2008, 01:34 AM
Oh and one more thing....The environment variable should be set like this,Right?

export nga=1I used the script and it said my computer is not validated.
Yes, but if you export a variable, that only applies to processes started by that shell. So if you export from a terminal window, then click a button to launch your script via a GUI, it won't work.

niccholaspage
September 9th, 2008, 03:44 AM
Than how do I set it so it will use that variable anytime?

CptPicard
September 9th, 2008, 05:25 AM
I'm going to get flamed for this, but you should really try a proper programming language such as Python... ;)

mssever
September 9th, 2008, 07:44 AM
Than how do I set it so it will use that variable anytime?
Well, if you want the variable to apply to all users, you can set it in /etc/profile. You can also probably hack one of the GDM scripts to set it. But the easiest thing would probably be to write the value to a file and read that instead of messing with an environment variable.

I'm going to get flamed for this, but you should really try a proper programming language such as Python... ;)
Actually, I don't think that switching to Python will solve an environment variable problem. I don't know what the OP is trying to accomplish, but there may be other reasons why switching languages might be a good idea. It's also possible that bash could be an acceptable language for this task--although the OP should really read up on bash programming if he/she is going to keep bash. http://tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/

CptPicard
September 9th, 2008, 08:03 AM
Actually, I don't think that switching to Python will solve an environment variable problem. ... It's also possible that bash could be an acceptable language for this task

Yes, true. I just get the feel that there is a large probability that bash is not being a fully informed choice here :)

mssever
September 9th, 2008, 03:07 PM
Yes, true. I just get the feel that there is a large probability that bash is not being a fully informed choice here :)
I agree. As for the OP's original issue with curly braces, Python also has that "problem":

>>> from __future__ import braces
File "<stdin>", line 1
SyntaxError: not a chance
>>>
:)