PDA

View Full Version : Creating a logo

cartisdm
September 9th, 2008, 12:08 AM
I just purchased my own company and I've decided to give it a makeover from the previous ownership. I'm going to start with creating a new company logo. I've made a logo in the past but it was a long time ago, for a small company, and I did it in photoshop.

I'm not proficient in Gimp (or photoshop for that matter). What are some key steps I need to take in creating my logo. I don't want to put all this work into something, then realize I made it on the wrong size canvas, wrong pixles, or something like that. I'll basically be messing around with the different controls when it comes to actually creating the design, but I want to start off on the right foot. Thanks!

loell
September 9th, 2008, 12:10 AM
do it with inkscape. ;)

here are some video tutorials to start you up, fairly quick. :D

http://screencasters.heathenx.org/?s=logo

cartisdm
September 9th, 2008, 12:11 AM
do it with inkscape. ;)

Never used it before. What are the advantages/learning curve with it?

loell
September 9th, 2008, 12:13 AM

iv'e just re-edited it with a link to some video tutorials (logo related tasks)

oh, watch those earlier episodes, the later ones might be for intermediate users

Merk42
September 9th, 2008, 03:20 AM

The advantage being it's vector art, meaning you could scale it down as small for a business card, or large for a highway billboard.

sloggerkhan
September 9th, 2008, 03:49 AM
Yeah, if you are making a logo for a business there are a number of criteria.
You want something that:
scales to different sizes
looks good on screen and in print
is distinctive

In order to fulfil these requirements it a best to use vector art because vector art will scale to any size, and probably be limited to a handful of colors which can help both create a distinctive image and make it effective in print.

Another thing to keep in mind is if your logo has text. Font choice can be very important and many small businesses seem to fall into the trap of using "distinctive" fonts that are really fonts everyone knows. This reflects poorly on the business and works against creating an effective image. Do not use papyrus, for example. There are some other fonts that certainly fall in this category, just am spacing on the names.

What's the business you need a logo for?

Vadi
September 9th, 2008, 03:54 AM
You might want to check out this: http://branddoozie.com/

It's useful for creating some papers and basic logos yourself.

cartisdm
September 9th, 2008, 04:00 AM
What's the business you need a logo for?

It's for selling government contracts. I'll basically be playing middle-man, filling companies with resources they're in need of for the time being. Thanks for all the responses guys, I'll get to work tomorrow morning. I want the logo to appear very professional since it'll be dealing with some high level businesses.

sloggerkhan
September 9th, 2008, 04:00 AM
You might want to check out this: http://branddoozie.com/

It's useful for creating some papers and basic logos yourself.

Yeah, sign up for a web service that tries to get your $$... :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: :confused:

If it's a big enough job to pay a website, might as well just try and find a graphic designer.

matdombrock
September 9th, 2008, 06:09 AM
Ya, i'd say go with inkscape. It will be a lot more along the lines of what you need. The GUI is also prety self explanatory. If you need some help you can PM me.

Vadi
September 9th, 2008, 01:34 PM
Yeah, sign up for a web service that tries to get your $$... :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: :confused:

If it's a big enough job to pay a website, might as well just try and find a graphic designer.

The basic stuff is free, but even with the paid plan, it is a lot cheaper than a designer.

ktworks
September 9th, 2008, 02:50 PM
well ... if you want to have professional look logo and if this is the matter of your company than you should go to professional. Thats my personal approach.

I do believe that work should be alloted to that fellow who is expert on that.

Dragonbite
September 9th, 2008, 03:27 PM
Don't underestimate the advantage of a professional, experienced Graphic Designer.

I would also look at some other resources such as the Linux Graphics Users forum (http://linuxgraphicsusers.com/index.php). They have sections on using Inkscape and/or Gimp with tutorials and information plus some very talented people. They may even be able to be hired or can point you to somebody who can help you. They are very friendly and patient there.

alexvorn2
September 16th, 2008, 10:11 PM
Open Photoshop and create as many logos you want.

dRock1286
September 17th, 2008, 05:19 AM

Wow...someone isn't a true believer in FOSS yet... :lolflag:

Dragonbite
September 17th, 2008, 02:38 PM

If you don't like Gimp, try out Xara Extreme. The Windows version looks really slick and the Linux version isn't half bad either.

lyceum
September 18th, 2008, 01:29 PM
If you don't like Gimp, try out Xara Extreme. The Windows version looks really slick and the Linux version isn't half bad either.

I thought I was going to love Xara, but I am now an Inkscape junky. Inkscape is still in development, Xara is only in development for Mac and Windows. Inkscape is not that hard, I got it down after 1 tutorial. Also, I am a (newly) professional web designer and it is the only program I use to create logos. It is great.

Some sketches (these are the 3rd and 2nd things I have made w/ the program):

http://fc07.deviantart.com/fs37/f/2008/242/f/3/TWiMU_by_dferriman.png

http://fc05.deviantart.com/fs37/f/2008/248/3/1/Designs_by_dferriman.jpg

Dragonbite
September 18th, 2008, 01:39 PM
I thought I was going to love Xara, but I am now an Inkscape junky.

I've used Inkscape but I am curious what Xara is like. I just need to get some time to fool around with it!

cartisdm
September 20th, 2008, 04:35 AM
Ok guys, this is literally my first attempt at using Inkscape. Constructive criticism is welcome (and encouraged). This is my first sketch of what I have in mind. After working on it I started to realize it kind of resembles the Windows logo. Any thoughts on how to steer away from that? I'm still getting used to the tools and how to use Inkscape so give me some pointers please!

Special thanks to loell for the video tutorial link. Helped a lot!

sloggerkhan
September 20th, 2008, 05:11 AM
http://sloggerkhan.deviantart.com/art/BASIC-Inkscape-Part-1-74130021
Has some tutorials I made for Inkscape a while ago. Might help you get down the tools.
And here's a less windows concept I came up with in a couple of minutes. Not the best, but a different direction.
http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=85846&stc=1&d=1221883885

lyceum
September 20th, 2008, 12:41 PM
Ok guys, this is literally my first attempt at using Inkscape. Constructive criticism is welcome (and encouraged). This is my first sketch of what I have in mind. After working on it I started to realize it kind of resembles the Windows logo. Any thoughts on how to steer away from that? I'm still getting used to the tools and how to use Inkscape so give me some pointers please!

Special thanks to loell for the video tutorial link. Helped a lot!

I would move the shadow to the right, but that is just me. But I really like your logo. I would say you could call it done.

cartisdm
September 20th, 2008, 12:55 PM
I would move the shadow to the right, but that is just me. But I really like your logo. I would say you could call it done.

I didn't create it the most efficient way so I ran into some troubles the the long shape above the blocks. It's not the color I want and I'd like to tweak it more but I just messed around with the lines until it came out into the shape I wanted. Then I just filled in the color with the paint fill tool. Now when I try to adjust it the shape gets weird on me.

I attached the file that I've been using to edit the logo, if anyone would like to check it out and see how I created the stuff and let me know of more efficient ways to do it.

fballem
September 20th, 2008, 01:07 PM
I'd agree with the Inkscape recommendation - my 11 year-old daughter figured it out pretty quickly, but it is still professional enough and will produce high-quality results.

Edit: I put this post in before reading the rest of the thread. Excellent logo! Am I correct in assuming that you will only be dealing with English speaking organizations?

AJB2K3
September 20th, 2008, 01:08 PM
Tip from many professional artist ( printed in art books somany times)
When designing anything, don't reach form the pc.
Get out a pencil and paper and scribble till you make something suitable.
When this is done, you can switch on the pc, scan in the sketch, and trace it onto another layer for editing to finale result.

cartisdm
September 20th, 2008, 01:30 PM
Am I correct in assuming that you will only be dealing with English speaking organizations?

Yes, strictly english speaking (government contracts within the US)

loell
September 20th, 2008, 05:39 PM
your logo is getting along nicely.. :)