PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] a couple questions/problems

Durandall
September 8th, 2008, 11:05 PM
Hi. I've been running 8.04 on my Tower PC since it was released. Unlike Vista... I haven't had any issues. I have a couple things I'm not sure about, though. I've got a new tower, I'd like to put Ubuntu on, but don't have keyboard and mouse support for it. my old tower has PS/2 connections, and my new PC is USB only, and the keyboard/mouse set I have for it is Bluetooth. I haven't been able to actually use Ubuntu. It installs fine, I think... but it doesn't recognize my input devices. That's problem one.

next... this is actually an open office problem, maybe you can help me with it. I have to save my files a very specific way for my job. For some reason, open office cuts the file name, pretty much in half. I don't know why. is there some kinda character limit I can adjust?

also, I need a laptop for work, and I'm really hoping to wipe vista right off of it, and use Ubuntu. I need open office to not change the names of my docs after i save... and i need to be able to open a PDF, and do some mark-ups on our maps. basically, I need adobe acrobat to run, or its open equivalent, if there is such a thing.

Thanks all.

simtaalo
September 8th, 2008, 11:08 PM
also, I need a laptop for work, and I'm really hoping to wipe vista right off of it, and use Ubuntu. I need open office to not change the names of my docs after i save... and i need to be able to open a PDF, and do some mark-ups on our maps. basically, I need adobe acrobat to run, or its open equivalent, if there is such a thing.

Thanks all.

shouldnt be too much different to installing it on your desktop. ive only ever installed ubuntu on my laptop and didnt have any major hardware issues with it so you should be good to go with that. you can also get laptops pre-installed with linux ;)

t0p
September 8th, 2008, 11:14 PM
Caution!! Even though simtaalo has been lucky in his choice of laptops, you need to be aware that some laptops do not take kindly to Linux. If you can choose what model you get, it might be an idea to check some out in these forums. I think if you type a make and model name into the search field, you should find some useful info.