PDA

View Full Version : Philips Routers Suck

billgoldberg
September 8th, 2008, 10:29 PM
I was playing counterstrike source and suddenly, I lost my internet connection.

This has been happening a lot (sometimes during normal webbrowsing) for a few weeks now.

But this time after turning it off and on again (which usually does the trick), I was unable to get on the internet again.

This time it needed a hard reset (thus me having to look up my data from my isp for the connection).

It took me more than an hour before I did this. I was thinking the ISP was to blame.

My brother blamed Ubuntu, I knew Ubuntu wasn't to blame from troubleshooting but he wouldn't believe it and was "dissing" my computer skills (he's a uber noob).

My mother called her "computer savvy" friend (he's one of those windows noobs thinking because he can reinstall Windows and download a driver from a website and install it, he's some sort of computer wizard) and he was laughing with my choice of OS and questioning my computer skills.

My blood was boiling.

When I told them the router was to blame, they didn't believe me (the router was unable to get a dns adress) and thought it was my fault or the OSs fault, even though the playstation couldn't get online also.

[/rant]

(btw, this is the third router this year. I can only get one from my ISP because they don't allow others to use their IPTV)

(move to OPP if needed)

Twitch6000
September 8th, 2008, 10:36 PM
This sounds strangely like problems I have in my household :/.

If they ever need help they beg for me.Then when I fix they they love me and such.
Yet when I run into a problem I am just sketchy about(eg. it could be one out of two things)and I even explain it too them they pay 50 bucks to some random person who is scared of my laptop :/.(he seen Linux on it and acted as if it was it was going to kill him)
[/rant]

Anyways what I suggest you do,is simply go out and buy a new router with your own cash.As this will be the only way to solve the problem :/.
Either that or install windows on a vm and prove it doesn't work on it either :/.

billgoldberg
September 8th, 2008, 10:48 PM
I know what you're talking about. When I do stuff with computers that help the entire household (media servers, file servers) they are great full. When I fix problems, they are grateful.

When something goes wrong it my fault. Even when most of the time they did something, or it's hardware related.

--

I can't change routers, as the ISP demands of us we use their routers if we wish to use their IPTV service. We get them for free, but still I would like a bit more choice.

clanky
September 8th, 2008, 10:57 PM
(btw, this is the third router this year. I can only get one from my ISP because they don't allow others to use their IPTV)

(move to OPP if needed)

I would seriously consider changing your ISP and buying yourself a netgear router, have had 2 in the last 6 years (only changed because we went from ADSL to cable) and have never had a problem with either router. The ADSL one is back in the box in case we ever change back to ADSL. They are certainly not the cheapest on the market, but for me they are by far the best.

billgoldberg
September 8th, 2008, 11:00 PM
I would seriously consider changing your ISP and buying yourself a netgear router, have had 2 in the last 6 years (only changed because we went from ADSL to cable) and have never had a problem with either router. The ADSL one is back in the box in case we ever change back to ADSL. They are certainly not the cheapest on the market, but for me they are by far the best.

I can't change, not yet anyway.

Redache
September 8th, 2008, 11:05 PM
It seems that regardless of what Brand router it is if it's given to you by an ISP it's hacked to death and never works properly (there's Sky Netgear Routers here that have horrendous Firmware mods that make the reliability go down the pan).

It's a shame you can't get a different one. Is the Firmware custom to the router?.

clanky
September 8th, 2008, 11:24 PM
It seems that regardless of what Brand router it is if it's given to you by an ISP it's hacked to death and never works properly (there's Sky Netgear Routers here that have horrendous Firmware mods that make the reliability go down the pan).

It's a shame you can't get a different one. Is the Firmware custom to the router?.

With Sky can you at least ditch the free one and use your own? I was seriously considering switching my internet to Sky for a while.

Redache
September 9th, 2008, 12:38 AM
I'm not 100% on that one. My brother had Sky but he never really tried to switch router. I guess you can force them to give you your login details though, as we have Ofcom and they've all been warned to NOT tie people in to certain hardware.

I'm fairly certain there's a way to grab the details off the hacked Netgears as well.

mips
September 9th, 2008, 01:20 PM
When I told them the router was to blame, they didn't believe me (the router was unable to get a dns adress) and thought it was my fault or the OSs fault, even though the playstation couldn't get online also.

If this is the only major issue I would suggest you statically configure all your IP settings including DNS so as not to rely on you router.

billgoldberg
September 9th, 2008, 01:24 PM
If this is the only major issue I would suggest you statically configure all your IP settings including DNS so as not to rely on you router.

Network related stuff isn't really my thing. How would I do this?

mips
September 9th, 2008, 01:53 PM
Network related stuff isn't really my thing. How would I do this?

I don't have Ubuntu or Gnome installed so it's kinda hard for me to guide you. You can check in the Networking section how to setup Static IP parameters. If you would like to wait a while I can try to install Ubuntu in a VM and provide more info.

For now you can get most of the info you need by opening a dos prompt in windows and entering "ipconfig /all" which should give you everything you need to proceed.