PDA

View Full Version : Web design with Linux

miggols99
September 8th, 2008, 07:04 PM
Many people do web designing in Linux, so I wrote an article on the best programs to do it with.

http://archux.com/blogs/miggols99/using-linux-web-design

god0fgod
September 8th, 2008, 07:08 PM
Gedit is good enough for PHP for now.

Achetar
September 8th, 2008, 08:12 PM
You forgot Geany! It is my favorite PHP/HTML/CSS editor, other than vim. Can't forget vim either.

sudo apt-get install geany
geany

vim

binbash
September 8th, 2008, 10:58 PM
i read the article.You can code php etc even with nano BUT linux needs MORE i mean a LOT MORE development for a good php,css/webdesign editor.

The only thing i saw quite good is jedit and it uses java (yup i hate java it is SLOW)

billgoldberg
September 8th, 2008, 11:02 PM
I haven't read the article, but I can suggest Bluefish to everyone.

It's great.

god0fgod
September 8th, 2008, 11:09 PM
Any program that allows to easily look up documentation for functions in PHP? Like Holding Ctrl and clicking on the function for example.

lukjad
September 8th, 2008, 11:18 PM
Thanks, I bookmarked it for later viewing.

Northsider
September 9th, 2008, 04:57 AM
I've tried Kompozer a few times, but I just can't get it right...I find Dreamweaver much easier to use. Unfortunately can't get that to work via wine either.

EnGorDiaz
September 9th, 2008, 04:58 AM
monodevelop for web scripts download phpbb internals run the terminal choose your domain choose your name and build GSQL from there

zmjjmz
September 9th, 2008, 05:06 AM
I <3 KompoZer.

Seti
September 9th, 2008, 05:17 AM
Another great one for working with images is (of course)
Imagemagick (http://www.imagemagick.org/script/index.php)

The article mentions Gimp, but Imagemagick can do a lot of stuff, you should check it out to see how useful it is.

ghostandmachine
September 10th, 2008, 06:23 PM
nice article

+1 gedit

ghostandmachine
September 10th, 2008, 06:24 PM
edit:

Ioky
September 10th, 2008, 08:28 PM
I would say nothing work faster than your brain, so yeah you really need is two graphic editor one for photo like graphic, the other for vector graphic and one good text editor would be good enough. And yeah the tool you mention are great. I personally think WYSIWYG software wouldn't get you anyway further in advance, so if i get the time to learn how to use a WYSIWYG software, why don't I just use the time to learn all the coding language?

Martym
September 11th, 2008, 01:02 PM

It's great.

Really? I have had nothing but trouble with Bluefish. For a while it worked fine then all of a sudden it started, if I click on a file I want to edit BF opens up to a blank page. If I right-click on the file and choose, I forget was it the first or second entry marked Bluefish? it works as expected. Interestingly I went on a search for the answer to this and found someone else with the exact same issue on another site and he got nothing but attitude about the problem, nice that helps out tons.

So I use gedit until I find something else I like

billgoldberg
September 11th, 2008, 01:40 PM
Really? I have had nothing but trouble with Bluefish. For a while it worked fine then all of a sudden it started, if I click on a file I want to edit BF opens up to a blank page. If I right-click on the file and choose, I forget was it the first or second entry marked Bluefish? it works as expected. Interestingly I went on a search for the answer to this and found someone else with the exact same issue on another site and he got nothing but attitude about the problem, nice that helps out tons.

So I use gedit until I find something else I like

I never had any problems with it.

But gedit is pretty good also.

MaindotC
September 12th, 2008, 03:51 PM
I find Dreamweaver much easier to use. Unfortunately can't get that to work via wine either.

I got Dreamweaver to easily install via wine. Check my specs to see if perhaps that's your issue. I also have it installed on a T60.

beercz
September 12th, 2008, 03:59 PM

It's great.
+1 for Bluefish

shifty2
September 12th, 2008, 04:06 PM
Any program that allows to easily look up documentation for functions in PHP? Like Holding Ctrl and clicking on the function for example.

Emacs - not there by default but easy to create a short function that does it.