PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Gnome/KDE USB Woes...

sw40c
September 8th, 2008, 06:22 PM
I thought about posting this in the hardware section but since the problem seems to be predicated upon my choice of a desktop manager I'll put it here as a start...

I'm running Ubunutu 8.04 and whenever I try to mount a USB storage device under Gnome I can "see" the device but I cannot mount it via either GUI or CLI. I've tried four volumes in total, each FAT, and no luck even though the Windoze machines at work pick them up just fine and scanning them in the same machine shows no errors. I've been lurking in the forums for a few weeks trying various suggestions mainly related to changing my fstab settings - all no luck.

Until yesterday... when I logged onto KDE for the heck out it and viola! It works like a charm - no errors, no nothing and all my data was there!

Now, I love KDE and given the choice I would use it as my primary desktop manager HOWEVER the wife will only use gnome so most of the time I use that as I'm only on it for short periods of time. That said, what could create the disparity here between Gnome and KDE when it comes to properly mounting USB storage devices automatically? They use the same kernel and settings, right? Can someone explain to me what's going on here?

Many thanks!
Matt

BenAshton24
September 8th, 2008, 06:32 PM
i suppose it could be the file manager, if you use the defaults then Gnome uses Nautilus and KDE uses konqueror, try locating your usb drive in konqueror whilst running gnome, you never know, it might work :P

Hope this helps, Ben :D