PDA

View Full Version : Online space to save email mailboxes?

Glenn Jones
September 8th, 2008, 05:13 PM
Hi people,

I was wondering if anyone could help me with email mailbox storage and accessing them on multiple computers. At the moment I have several mailboxes setup on my desktop at work where the emails have been physically stored. If I want to access these emails from my laptop I must scp or rsynk these mailbox directories onto my laptop and vice versa. If I had a home server I could just setup the mailboxes there and have a cron job which coppies the mailboxes over when I open my email application either on my desktop or laptop.

Does anyone know of an online space where I could put my mailboxes and retreive them when I run my email app? I guess what I'm asking for is almost a .mac account which doesn't cost an arm and a leg or even better if free.

Cheers

G

Whiffle
September 8th, 2008, 05:15 PM
If you have POP access to your email accounts, Gmail can check them and download your emails into your gmail account.

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/04/04/how-to-forward-messages-to-your-gmail-account/

Mazza558
September 8th, 2008, 05:24 PM
You could try Dropbox. It's a free 2GB online space which creates a folder on your PC and any other PCs you want to synchronise. Anything saved in the dropbox folder in one PC automatically gets updated for the other one. Because it's in folders, you could set your email app to save the mailbox in that folder for both PCs.

It's invite only, and I can give you an invite if you want.

Glenn Jones
September 8th, 2008, 07:50 PM
Thanks guys.

Mazza558 if you could invite me to Dropbox that would be great.

Cheers

Mazza558
September 8th, 2008, 07:52 PM
Thanks guys.

Mazza558 if you could invite me to Dropbox that would be great.

Cheers

PM me your email and I'll send an invite. It might end up in the spam section with some providers.

Dropbox now also works with Linux (using nautilus), which is very useful.

Dragonbite
September 9th, 2008, 06:29 PM
I set up my mail accounts to forward to my Gmail account, then IMAP to the Gmail account so I get all my mail in one location.

Then if that Gmail account gets too spammed or anything I can make another and re-forward my other accounts to the new Gmail account and nobody has to know any difference.

Plus by sending mail through the Gmail account, it keeps a copy in the Gmail account so I can see all of my mail (received and sent) in one location via Web or mail client.