PDA

View Full Version : Will your PC run Vista?

BoyOfDestiny
November 17th, 2005, 10:14 AM
Just a good old fashioned poll.

My answer is No.

P.S Oops, I realize now I didn't leave a poll option for people who are going to run it only, and have very powerful machines ... Oh well, just post it in if that's you... :)

codejunkie
November 17th, 2005, 10:25 AM
Just a good old fashioned poll.

My answer is No.

P.S Oops, I realize now I didn't leave a poll option for people who are going to run it only, and have very powerful machines ... Oh well just post it in if that's you... :)
same here i've been windows free for almost a year now and even if myhardware would support it i wouldn't use it.

23meg
November 17th, 2005, 10:33 AM
No. Reason: TC.

Pablo_Escobar
November 17th, 2005, 10:36 AM
No Vista ever on my PC.
Only way Vista is getting on my PC is when Ubuntu version 8.04 will be named Vista Vixen :D

fog
November 17th, 2005, 10:43 AM
I can run Vista, but i don't want ;)
I 'm happy with my ubuntu box. :KS

mcduck
November 17th, 2005, 10:44 AM
Never! Sure, I still must use Windows for some programs I need, but Win2K is the only windows I would ever run in my own computer, even XP is over the line for me. Vista? Not going to happen..

T*&1p87)v#
November 17th, 2005, 10:55 AM
I would try it out, but not on my pc first! Not that I expect something big, just out of curiosity :)
I have been using Ubuntun for 6 months and I am pretty happy with it. Yesterday at my new job I had to work with WindowsNT and it was awful and ugly.

much better
November 17th, 2005, 11:24 AM
No Vista ever on my PC.
Only way Vista is getting on my PC is when Ubuntu version 8.04 will be named Vista Vixen :D
very cool answer :razz: :razz:

cedjo
November 17th, 2005, 11:49 AM
no bird flu, no virus, no vista!!!

az
November 17th, 2005, 11:50 AM
Aren't you going to be able to turn off all the ressource-intensive features and run it on a PII?

manicka
November 17th, 2005, 11:53 AM
A simple 'no' for me

WildTangent
November 17th, 2005, 01:54 PM
If I must dual boot, I'll stick with XP ;)

-Wild

Kazung-Q
November 17th, 2005, 02:02 PM
dual boot but i'll go for WinVista (what I've read 'bout it it seems like another huge step forward!)

but Kubuntu will remain on my 2nd pc :p i'm starting to like it but it will never replace my winpc.

Malphas
November 17th, 2005, 02:29 PM
I'll stick with XP for the forseeable future.

tom-ubuntu
November 17th, 2005, 02:33 PM
Don't see any reason why to use Vista. Ubuntu has almost everything I need. For the rar case I need Windows, I've got my business laptop which has to run it.

xaque
November 17th, 2005, 03:28 PM
I already tried dual-booting with a beta version I got from work. I wasn't terribly impressed with it. The new theme is incredibly ugly, though I'm sure the world will adjust just as we've adjusted to Windows XP. One of the features that amused me the most was a new control panel icon called "Solutions to Problems." When you click on this icon, a progress bar pops up and says "Searching for problems..." If it finds any, it downloads "solutions" from Microsoft's website. I haven't yet seen a computer with problems found, but I thought this was an excellent example of how Microsoft tries to keep users out of the loop. I definately won't be buying Vista. I'm sure XP will be able to run any games I'll need for quite a while.

fuscia
November 17th, 2005, 03:49 PM
going back to windows would be like making a trade for fred taylor.

Brunellus
November 17th, 2005, 03:55 PM
I can't afford the hardware I'd need to get Vista, so, no, I won't be getting it.

towsonu2003
November 17th, 2005, 04:35 PM
I guess no more PC games for me after Vista is the 'popular one'... #%^#$#@ *(%*&$#

After Vista, Fifa 2008 will now ask for 120GB of video memory , 1500GB free hard disk space, and 400GB RAM, AND will advise u to have 4 CPUs + air condition inside the box... ;)

I need to buy a game console. Which one u think? Not Sony right? :-P

Seriously though, I guess it will force me to linux for good in a couple of years when XP software (and online updates) is gone for good. With a game console, I won't need crazy video cards and stuff. I am cheap!

bored2k
November 17th, 2005, 04:39 PM
I might. People seem to forget it's possible to remove all the prutty features and run it on a slow box just like Azz a moon ago. I probably will run it.

tseliot
November 17th, 2005, 04:56 PM
My computer is an AMD 3500+ 2GB RAM, etc. but I won't ever run Vista because I don't like it (actually I hate it) and I don't need it. I gave up playing games on my PC 4-5 years ago (I have a PS2 and an Xbox) because it messed up my Windows (and/or made it slower).

public_void
November 17th, 2005, 05:25 PM
I duel boot, but no Vista. XP will do fine, even if it can get on my nerves. Don't see the point, I think people will probably go for MS's next OS after Vista. I'm not sure it will be too popular, but I could be wrong.

Brunellus
November 17th, 2005, 05:40 PM
Vista will be ridiculously popular. You guys seem to forget that most computer users haven't really bought operating systems as a separate purchase since the late '80s.

I repeat what I always assert: Vista will be user-transparent. People will get it when they get new computers, and they won't know or care.

-Rick-
November 17th, 2005, 06:16 PM
I'll see ... I doubt so though. I think Win XP will be 'supported' by win apps for a long time anyway...

Master Shake
November 17th, 2005, 06:22 PM
XP is the last M$ OS on my machines. Although, I'm going to keep it around.

blueturtl
November 17th, 2005, 06:25 PM
Never! I swore myself off XP and failed because I was a Windows-user at the time. Now I don't see any point in "downgrading" ;)

poptones
November 17th, 2005, 06:31 PM
I cannot WAIT for the release of Vista!

Just think of all those "old" machines entering the surplus marketplace when the businesses "upgrade."

Tiede
November 17th, 2005, 06:44 PM
I cannot WAIT for the release of Vista!

Just think of all those "old" machines entering the surplus marketplace when the businesses "upgrade."
me neither. I think I will have make a little fortune reselling them in my home country. :)

And, Oh yeah! I voted Linux Only... Guess what OS will be on the "old" PCs I'll buy cheaply from the companies ^_^

Sheinar
November 17th, 2005, 06:50 PM
Not a chance in hell.

Stormy Eyes
November 17th, 2005, 06:53 PM
Hell no.

jc87
November 17th, 2005, 07:07 PM
XP is the last wintendo that i use :cool: .

Currently i have ubuntu and wintendo in dual-boot , wintendo ONLY for games , UBUNTU for all the REST .

My pc is a P4 1700 , 512 megabytes ddr400 , ati radeon 9250 , but even if it was capable of running Vista i wouldn´t use it:KS .

When i get 3d acelaration working on ubuntu i will use wintendo even less and less , and when i had a new computer (probably only when my p4 blows up in a few years) , it will only know the power of gnu/linux .

And i´m also working in a way to make that XP be also the last wintendo that many of my friends and relatives use.

We shall rull the world :twisted: .

dosed150
November 17th, 2005, 07:14 PM
XP is the last wintendo that i use :cool: .

Currently i have ubuntu and wintendo in dual-boot , wintendo ONLY for games , UBUNTU for all the REST .

My pc is a P4 1700 , 512 megabytes ddr400 , ati radeon 9250 , but even if it was capable of running Vista i wouldn´t use it:KS .

When i get 3d acelaration working on ubuntu i will use wintendo even less and less , and when i had a new computer (probably only when my p4 blows up in a few years) , it will only know the power of gnu/linux .

And i´m also working in a way to make that XP be also the last wintendo that many of my friends and relatives use.

We shall rull the world :twisted: .

i dopnt get it why wintendo

Malphas
November 17th, 2005, 07:32 PM
Because it's the doubleplus-l33t haXor way to say Windows(!)

dosed150
November 17th, 2005, 07:51 PM
isnt that linking it to nintendo which is wrong cos nintendo r cool

Stormy Eyes
November 17th, 2005, 07:52 PM
i dopnt get it why wintendo

'Cos the only thing Windows is good for is videogames.

dosed150
November 17th, 2005, 07:54 PM
what about picking up spyware and shouting in frustration at its good for them too

Malphas
November 17th, 2005, 08:01 PM
'Cos the only thing Windows is good for is videogames.
And numerous other applications that other operating systems are still incapable of.

Stormy Eyes
November 17th, 2005, 08:23 PM
And numerous other applications that other operating systems are still incapable of.

True, but since I don't use these applications, I have no reason to tolerate Windows at home.

Malphas
November 17th, 2005, 08:24 PM
I wasn't suggesting anything otherwise.

xequence
November 17th, 2005, 09:23 PM
Aren't you going to be able to turn off all the ressource-intensive features and run it on a PII?

Somehow I doubt it.

I wont use it. XP alredy slows unreal tournament down alot. Anyway, my computer is too old.

r4ik
November 17th, 2005, 09:41 PM
I have to (comes with my job)
But not on my main machine from wich i am posting this.
I Like Ubuntu.
No more words to it.

bored2k
November 17th, 2005, 10:08 PM
Somehow I doubt it.

I wont use it. XP alredy slows unreal tournament down alot. Anyway, my computer is too old.
It's what they said. WHo knows if they can manage to tweak the GUI down to run faster than a stripped XP once you remove all the pruttyness? Sure, we always think bad of MS products, but they might just do it.

erikpiper
November 17th, 2005, 10:19 PM
Within a year, I will have finished building my dream PC. When I put in the last peice, I will pirate vista, install it, learn the ideosynchracies, laugh at it, intstall XP for games, and install Ubuntu.

(It will take me a year to just buy the parts- one at a time.

lotusleaf
November 17th, 2005, 10:43 PM
"Will your PC run Vista?"

I'll never again use any Microsoft product, that includes xboxes.

I'd rather wipe with sand paper than contribute money to philosophies I disagree with.

firenurse4
November 20th, 2005, 04:27 AM
Just using XP for the two tasks (check printing and Itunes) that I need ******* for.\\:D/ Otherwise windows free for me!!!

xequence
November 20th, 2005, 05:12 AM
It's what they said. WHo knows if they can manage to tweak the GUI down to run faster than a stripped XP once you remove all the pruttyness? Sure, we always think bad of MS products, but they might just do it.

Another thing to considor im sure vista will be on DVD, and most p2 computers dont have a DVD drive. Theyll have to give you a DVD and a CD if they want to do this.

If they do it I will be amazed. It might just be the last thing to make computer companies have linux as default, since people buy new computers to run the latest version of windows.

qalimas
November 20th, 2005, 05:16 AM
No, I won't. I can't even see myself using any other distro (excluding Debian) ;)

nrayever
November 20th, 2005, 05:28 AM
ubuntu is my first distro on my amd64 box, and it will still remain being it!!

aysiu
November 20th, 2005, 05:36 AM
I paid for XP before I even knew what Linux was. I'm going to keep XP.
If I ever have to buy a new computer, though, I'll get one with Linux preloaded or FreeDOS.

beeldings
November 20th, 2005, 05:38 AM
Even if my computer was able to run Vista flawlessly, I still would not install it on this machine or even let the installation media within ten feet of it. Everything I was able to do in Windows I can do in Linux, except with Linux I don't have to worry about viruses, adware, spyware, malware, etc. I plan on purchasing a new machine after the holidays, maybe an iMac or possibly something from Micronux. Regardless of which machine I decide to buy, I will wipe the hard drive with DBAN and install Ubuntu a.s.a.p. I briefly considered purchasing a copy of Windows just for gaming, but then I realized that I could use Wine or some other alternative to set up gaming on my Ubuntu, or I could simply stick to console gaming.

poofyhairguy
November 20th, 2005, 06:41 AM
On my dad's computer I turned his XP into a Vista look alike (easy to do).

Vista looks like its the Windows I always wanted. If it would have released in 2003 like it was originally gonna I would have never tried Linux.

hardwarder
November 20th, 2005, 08:11 AM
I would most likely dual boot until macromedia makes flash for linux and maybe learn GIMP. I use these 2 tools the most. Only other thing I really use in windows that i can't find a counterpart for is xfire, the GAIM plugin seems to crep up. So while im still doing work, I'll be with windows for a while...

BoyOfDestiny
November 20th, 2005, 09:32 AM
I would most likely dual boot until macromedia makes flash for linux and maybe learn GIMP. I use these 2 tools the most. Only other thing I really use in windows that i can't find a counterpart for is xfire, the GAIM plugin seems to crep up. So while im still doing work, I'll be with windows for a while...

For x86 Linux, macromedia does make a flash plugin. For amd64, you either do a chroot, or try the free reverese egineered work-in-progress plugin. :) As for the dev environment, you might try it under wine.

hardwarder
November 20th, 2005, 09:57 AM
I ment flash 8 and not the plugin. It doesn't run well under wine. But I would certainly have linux here when vista comes.

darkmatter
November 20th, 2005, 10:59 AM
Vista will NEVER touch my drive...end of story...

adam.tropics
November 20th, 2005, 11:15 AM
Originally Posted by azz

No doubt, but it will take a further 42 processes to hold them back!!

BWF89
November 20th, 2005, 01:55 PM
My family doesn't use any special software that would make us have to upgrade from XP to Vista so I don't think so.

gabhla
November 20th, 2005, 02:25 PM
Never say never. But, you know, why spend the money? I use Ubuntu only, although I saved my XP partition and duel-boot. I'm a far cry from a pc guru, just a plain user and very new to linux. And, this is far more fun.

Lovechild
November 20th, 2005, 04:24 PM
Odds are that I will never even get to see it run. All my friends are moving to Linux I've been here for 7˝ years - I don't really need Windows.

x__dark
November 20th, 2005, 04:37 PM
I would run Vista, but I've heard horror stories about the anti-piracy and lack of privacy you have with it. So i'm definately good with Ubuntu at the moment. I don't plan on going back to windows any time soon.

Teroedni
November 20th, 2005, 04:41 PM
Hasta la Vista:P
All the eye candy vista willl have you can get on Linux
Directfb and others:)

I will never torment my Computer with Vista.

GreyFox503
November 21st, 2005, 09:19 AM
I answered No, dual boot with <other OS>

That happens to be winXP.

I am still running XP and will be until I break my Counter Strike: Source addiction. However, I have resolved not to buy Vista, and it doesn't matter to me what games come out for it. I've always been more a console gamer anyways.

rado_london
January 17th, 2006, 03:14 AM
I answered NO
I just want to mention something. When XP was at stage of developing every average Linux user said: Im not gonna leave WIN98. Look at you now. It is a marketing strategy. Everyone started make things for XP and we had to move to it. The same will happen with Vista.
I also think that M$ coppied many details from OS X.
A question: Is the new OSX Leopard gonna blow Vista away.

Thanks in advance!

BoyOfDestiny
January 17th, 2006, 03:53 AM
I answered NO
I just want to mention something. When XP was at stage of developing every average Linux user said: Im not gonna leave WIN98. Look at you now. It is a marketing strategy. Everyone started make things for XP and we had to move to it. The same will happen with Vista.
I also think that M$ coppied many details from OS X.
A question: Is the new OSX Leopard gonna blow Vista away.

Thanks in advance!

Hmm... So you are implying every average linux user also had win98... Or did you mean average window users (I might add that some are still running win98... or worse windows ME...). XP is also much different than 98. 98 was using that 9x kernel.

As for windows vista, much of it's "features" will be available for XP (i don't know the names at this point... "aero" or something)

As for OS X, some might claim Linux's window managers etc have copied stuff as well... I have not used OS X though, so don't really know anything about it...

blackant
January 17th, 2006, 04:10 AM
I might install vista, just to try out the new features or eye candy. :P
Or when I get a new pc which has a vista pre-installed.

PuNGS
January 17th, 2006, 04:15 AM
No way I'm going to go back to Windows... I'm sticking with Linux for the rest of my life. :cool:

nauseaboy
January 17th, 2006, 04:16 AM
Yep, i'll probably run it on at least one of my computers.

briancurtin
January 17th, 2006, 05:09 AM
i do not intend to buy it ever, but i will run it for free* just to see what the deal is. i dont plan on replacing linux probably ever, but i would like to check it out maybe

*not pirated, dad has full MSDN subscription and gets it all so i can try it out that way.

drizek
January 17th, 2006, 06:39 AM
the comments on this thread are proof that windows is going nowhere but down. When someone starts using linux, they usually stick with it and never go back. i personally can never use windows for anything other than video games ever again.

There are only really two types of people that go back to windows. the first are the people who either need windows-only software or have windows-only hardware. Many times these people end up dual booting anyway. The second type of people are the MS fanboys or kids that think theyre leet who arent making an effort into getting linux to work. these people can continue to use windows for all i care, chances are they will contribute absolutely nothing to the community anyway.

As for me, ill keep windows xp and i might use some beta versions of vista. but it will be a seriously cold day in hell before i go to a store and spend a couple hundred bucks on a ****** os.

Iandefor
January 17th, 2006, 08:40 AM
Don't need Windows. Don't want Windows. Why would I get it? If I ever want a game I can't get running under Linux, like Halo, then, maybe, I might get Windows. But only if I can't get my hands on an Xbox/360 and play it on there.

Kerberos
January 17th, 2006, 08:29 PM
I'm going to use it as I am curious what they have been doing for all these years! (and they send me free stuff ala msdn).

The only thing I want out of it, personally, is if they can stop spyware. I dont even want to have to worry about it.

jeremy
January 18th, 2006, 11:52 AM
Over my dead body!

Lanrond
January 18th, 2006, 12:07 PM
I never had a M$ system on my machine and I never will.

Vlammetje
January 18th, 2006, 12:22 PM
I'm not sure my hardware will ruin the full-fledged vista circus and I'm not interested in finding out either.

I don't see myself ever purchasing a Vista license and I consider XP to be my last Windows ever.... when support for it dries up eventually I guess I'll remove the virtual disk and live happily ever after.

jonathanm
January 18th, 2006, 12:44 PM
my hardware wont support it and even if it could i would only use it on someone elses machine, xp is expensive enough as it is

joselin
January 18th, 2006, 02:05 PM
No, never... from few years ago, my computers only run linux.

commodore
January 18th, 2006, 05:04 PM
I don't have my own computer :( I don't think my father will buy Vista. Maybe he steals (downloads) it. If I had my own computer I would steal it too to see what's new. I don't like piracy but M$ deserves it.

andrewsawyer
February 17th, 2006, 12:51 AM
AMD64 3800+ Dual Core
2Gb Ram
nVidia 6600GT running TwinView
250Gb SATA2 disk

And I won't have Vista anywhere near it thank you very much. I assume it would work ok though? Not sure of the requirements.

xequence
February 17th, 2006, 01:16 AM
AMD64 3800+ Dual Core
2Gb Ram
nVidia 6600GT running TwinView
250Gb SATA2 disk

And I won't have Vista anywhere near it thank you very much. I assume it would work ok though? Not sure of the requirements.

That would very very easily run vista.

Requirements are supposed to be 512MB RAM and so forth...