PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Windows Virtualization

Gonz_91
September 8th, 2008, 09:23 AM
I'm a linux newbie, and as such, I don't feel to safe without a ******* OS running near me (yet), in case there's something I do wrong in linux.

So, what I wanted your opinion on, was if it's a viable option to run Vista in VirtualBox, just in case, and assingn my whole hard drive to Ubuntu.

Thanks in advance :)

jedi-penguin
September 8th, 2008, 09:25 AM
VirtualBox does support vista, I have tried myself.

blazemore
September 8th, 2008, 09:33 AM
If you want to run full virtualisation, I personally wouldn't use Vista. It uses far too much memory to make it a viable option to run on top of Ubuntu.

I'd recommend Virtualbox, certainly, because of its seamless mode. However, if you can, use Windows XP SP3. It's far faster, and compatible with more applications.

Another option is to use Wine. This lets you run Windows applications "Natively" on Linux systems, and is generally faster to use than a full virtualisation solution.

Conclusion: Use Windows XP, not Vista.

Gonz_91
September 8th, 2008, 09:57 AM
Thanks, blazemore, for your thoughts :)

Indeed, for now, XP might be a better idea than Vista, since I probably won't be doing too much gaming, since I'm using somewhat weak hardware.

Altough, I really was starting to like Vista when I switched to Ubuntu...
So, I'll be giving it some thought :D

Gonz_91
September 8th, 2008, 11:21 AM
I can't get virtualbox working :(
Everytime I try to start a machine, it gives me this error:

VirtualBox kernel driver not installed. The vboxdrv kernel module was either not loaded or /dev/vboxdrv was not created for some reason. Please install the virtualbox-ose-modules package for your kernel, e.g. virtualbox-ose-modules-generic..

I tried installing that package, but all it did was add some more entries to my GRUB menu :(

help, plz

Gonz_91
September 8th, 2008, 11:29 AM
Solved it, checkd my kernel version -.-'

juiceman
September 9th, 2008, 04:44 PM
Solved it, checkd my kernel version -.-'

what did you actually do to fix that problem? i have the exact same one and i'm not very experienced... please help.

silverglade00
September 9th, 2008, 04:48 PM
You have to be careful to load the virtualbox-modules package that goes with your kernel. The latest 2.6.24-21 kernel took a couple weeks for the vbox-modules package to be updated. Just load the modules package that goes with the kernel and you will be ok.

tuxxy
September 9th, 2008, 04:50 PM
if you want to run full virtualisation, I personally wouldn't use Vista. It uses far too much memory to make it a viable option to run on top of Ubuntu.

I'd recommend Virtualbox, certainly, because of its seamless mode. However, if you can, use Windows XP SP3. It's far faster, and compatible with more applications.

If you on 64-bit Ubuntu then run you could run Vista, it will handle it with ease, heavy virtualization is another benefit of using 64-bit :)

XP SP3 is great though, I would prefer this to Vista anyway prob :lolflag:

lovinglinux
September 9th, 2008, 05:22 PM
Indeed, for now, XP might be a better idea than Vista, since I probably won't be doing too much gaming, since I'm using somewhat weak hardware.

As far as I know, VirtualBox doesn't support 3D acceleration, so makes no difference running XP or Vista if you have plans to run games inside it.