PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] What changes , what stays the same ?

Hagar55
September 8th, 2008, 06:27 AM
Right now I'm using Hardy, but as always I'm curious for the next release.
If I upgrade to Ibex I'll get a different kernel to choose from when I startup. Do I get the full stable install if I choose the hardy Kernel after upgrading or is it just the kernel and do all the things I try changing in the Ibex kernel affect the Hardy one as well....

I hope the question is understandable....

Sef
September 8th, 2008, 08:24 AM
What changes , what stays the same ?
All the packages pretty much will be upgraded. The kernel will be newer. I think it will be 2.6.27. It will be the default, but if you have problems with it, it would be possible to use an older kernel on your system.

manishtech
September 8th, 2008, 11:30 AM
When you get a kernel update it is showed up on the GRUB listing so that in case your new kernel update doesnt work, you can continue with the older configuration.

Hagar55
September 9th, 2008, 06:12 AM
Will chanes in fstab and other configuration parameteres change for all the kernels or just the one you're working in ?

manishtech
September 9th, 2008, 08:22 AM
Will chanes in fstab and other configuration parameteres change for all the kernels or just the one you're working in ?
fstab is a file which specifics the mounting of partitions when the system is booted. In short it contains mounting information of volumes.