PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] C++ Convert String to Char

DGortze380
September 8th, 2008, 03:43 AM
Hey all,

Trying to find a way to convert a String of text to an array of Characters.

I've found a number of solutions to convert a string to an array of words, but all of them need a delimiter to break up the tolkens.

Thanks in advance, back to trying to figure out the logic of this.

-Dan

nrs
September 8th, 2008, 03:48 AM
I'm not sure I understand what you're asking, you mean like a plain C "string"? string.c_str()

nitro_n2o
September 8th, 2008, 04:11 AM
you could just use the c_str() function, which gives you an array of char

string hello = "hello";
char *s = hello.c_str();
int i;
for(i=0; i<hello.length(); i++)
printf("%c\n", s[i]);

DGortze380
September 8th, 2008, 04:34 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look into c_str() because is looks cleaner, but this is what I ended up coming up with.

EDIT: edited the code to fix a declaration issue and make the purpose clearer. See below.

#include <iostream>
#include <string>

using namespace std;

int main()
{

string str;
int lengthOfString;

cout << "Enter a string: " << endl;
getline ( cin, str);
lengthOfString=str.length();

char characters[lengthOfString];

str.copy( characters, lengthOfString );

cout << "The third character is: " << characters[2] << endl;

return 0;
}

rnodal
September 8th, 2008, 05:17 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look into c_str() because is looks cleaner, but this is what I ended up coming up with.

#include <iostream>
#include <string>

using namespace std;

int main()
{

string str;
int lengthOfString;

getline ( cin, str);

return 0;
}

Are you sure that works? I have not tested it but if I *remember* well when you declare an array the compiler needs to know the size of the array. And from your code lengthOfString is not initialized to anything. Am I missing something?

-r

Sneaky07
September 8th, 2008, 05:40 AM
I agree with rnodal. You must initialize your array with either a global constant or directly i.e.

lengthOfString [200];

Also I'm not sure about this syntax:

I'm not sure what your declaring here but just a reminder that you can't just make an array equal something else. You have to put it in a loop so every element of the array equals something else.

DGortze380
September 8th, 2008, 05:53 AM
Are you sure that works? I have not tested it but if I *remember* well when you declare an array the compiler needs to know the size of the array. And from your code lengthOfString is not initialized to anything. Am I missing something?

-r

EDIT: See original post for complete corrected code.

my mistake, you're right. I cut out a lot of text and cout commands, things got moved around, it should look like this. Yes it does definitely work.

string str; //holds a string
int lengthOfString; //hold the number of characters in the string

getline ( cin, str); //read in the string
lengthOfString=str.length(); //find the number of characters in the string and save it in length of string
char characters[lengthOfString]; //initialize array
str.copy( characters, lengthOfString ); //fills array in order with characters from the string

return 0;

DGortze380
September 8th, 2008, 05:54 AM
I agree with rnodal. You must initialize your array with either a global constant or directly i.e.

lengthOfString [200];

Also I'm not sure about this syntax:

I'm not sure what your declaring here but just a reminder that you can't just make an array equal something else. You have to put it in a loop so every element of the array equals something else.

lengthOfString is not an array, it's an integer equal to the number of characters in the string.

rnodal
September 8th, 2008, 05:57 AM
my mistake, you're right. I cut out a lot of text and cout commands, things got moved around, it should look like this. Yes it does definitely work.

string str;
int lengthOfString;

getline ( cin, str);

return 0;

I'm sorry for making you give me an explanation I should have assumed that you just took things out for simplicity. One more time I apologize.

-r

DGortze380
September 8th, 2008, 06:01 AM
I'm sorry for making you give me an explanation I should have assumed that you just took things out for simplicity. One more time I apologize.

-r

Not a problem. The point of posting it is so other people can refer to it. Always go ahead and point out a potential issue.