PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Computer shuts down during installation...

Burlador
September 7th, 2008, 11:33 PM
Hello! I'm new to linux, and new to ubuntu. I'm experiencing some difficulties installing.

my laptop is running on an AMD Turion 64x2 processor, I have 2 gigs of ram and 160 gb harddrive.

I have downloaded and tried both the 64bit and the x86 iso. I have hash checked the iso's and checked the cd's in the boot/install menu.

I have also tried in safemode.

I have tried both installing and the live cd option.

The computer shuts down when the installprocess prompts for me to remoe the disc and press enter. As soon as I press enter the damned thing shuts down without a warning...

I have no idea what to do and I would sure apretiate some help.
Because I am tired of microsoft, and I am eager to make some change!

Burlador
September 8th, 2008, 11:40 AM
Well i've go some new info...

I tried again to install and I noticed that for a brief second a message flashed across the top left of the screen. directly after the kernel is loaded 100% and before the status line appears.it said:

[48.357816]PCI: BIOS BUG #81[49435000] FOUND

the numbers in the first brackets are different every time the rest stays the same.

I have no idea what this means, but it is the only error i get.

Just for information:

I run a AMD Turion(tm) 64 X2 mobile tehcnology TL52 processor with 1600 Mhz speed

HitachiHTS541616J9S - (PM) HDD

on an Acer Aspire 5103WLMi notebook

please help!

Sef
September 8th, 2008, 03:34 PM
What version of Ubuntu are you running? If you do not have Hardy, then upgrade to it, or read this page (http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showpost.php?p=901026&postcount=39) from Fedora.

Burlador
September 8th, 2008, 03:39 PM
Hello Again!

Writing from within Ubuntu this time! I Fixed It! :)

After I noticed the BIOS BUG error I downloaded the newest uprade for my bios via the laptops manufactors homepage and it fired right up!

Im just writing this in case there are some other newbs out there getting the same error as me. update your BIOS! :)

warpasylum
October 18th, 2008, 10:39 PM
Thanks guys! I've got an Acer 5050 that's doin' the same thing. Also, I've run Feisty on here with no issues. I think it's the new kernel that came out just before Gusty and is also used with Hardy that needs the BIOS flashed.:guitar: