PDA

View Full Version : The big dilemma: Humanities or Computer Design?

Mazza558
September 7th, 2008, 09:28 PM
It's nearly time for me to start applying for University, and I have so far been following a humanities-based education (sociology, geography, politics etc). However, those who have seen me around the forums probably know that I am just as happy designing themes and helping to bug-test Ubuntu releases. However, I have very little formal recognition of my skills as I have focused on humanities. To do a computing-related course at University requires maths, which I intensely dislike. I think the perfect course for me would be one that focused on user interfaces and their design. Bear in mind I can take a year's foundation-level course to get me ready for computing or design (and to make up for not studying at my current level).

So, what should it be, Humanities or Computer Design?

karellen
September 7th, 2008, 09:40 PM
I'd say Humanities :D

clanky
September 7th, 2008, 10:23 PM
It's hard to say, where do you see yourself in 4 years time?

If you decide to go for a computer degree then you need to think about how much you are going to enjoy a course with a high maths content even if you do the foundation course.

I would say stick with the humanities and keep computing as something that you do for yourself, you could always do professional computer courses after uni (sisco networking?)

Mazza558
September 7th, 2008, 10:25 PM
It's hard to say, where do you see yourself in 4 years time?

If you decide to go for a computer degree then you need to think about how much you are going to enjoy a course with a high maths content even if you do the foundation course.

I would say stick with the humanities and keep computing as something that you do for yourself, you could always do professional computer courses after uni (sisco networking?)

I guess it'd be more focused on design than anything, but the reason I want to choose the thing that I'll enjoy most is because I think that's more important than training for a static career.

clanky
September 7th, 2008, 10:30 PM
I would say that if you really want to do a computer based degree then try and find something which is not too heavily maths based if maths is not something which you enjoy.

TheMono
September 7th, 2008, 11:18 PM
Put it this way - you can teach yourself computer stuff much easier than you can teach yourself most humanities subjects. So I agree with whoever said study humanities and keep computers as a hobby. However, I teach politics, so I am intensely biased, but I am also a closet geek!