PDA

View Full Version : Howto participate directly in Ubuntu's ShipIt

lotusleaf
November 17th, 2005, 05:39 AM
Would it be possible to participate directly in Ubuntu's ShipIt? Can anyone volunteer to help out in sending out these CDs *officially* or must they be employed by Canonical?

bjweeks
November 17th, 2005, 06:01 AM
Do you have a CD burning plant?

lotusleaf
November 17th, 2005, 06:39 AM
Do you have a CD burning plant?

No, I am curious though if it's possible for others to participate in the official Ubuntu ShipIt CD-creation/shipping process, so the ShipIt requests can be sent out quicker. I know, it's free and it's great, but I'm interested in how the official participation process works and whether it can grow by way of volunteers or whether one must be employed by Canonical.

gord
November 17th, 2005, 09:51 AM
as far as i understand it, ubuntu gets made final (breezy badger or whatever), cd gets sent to cd making place, cds get sent to shipping company and they get sent to you.

its not like there are an infinate ammount of monkeys working at an infinate ammount of desks making these cd's and sending them out to people ;)

Ufo
November 17th, 2005, 10:47 AM
One similar way to help is to participate in GiveAway:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/forum/GiveAway?highlight=%28giveaway%29

Quote:

"In brief, perhaps some people would like to recieve a free ubuntu cd before the holidays, but Shipit may take too long. Some forum users can burn their own cds and mail them (and pay for the stamp) to those who do not own cd burners or do not have broadband internet access. Also, it is possible to download extra packages (like Xubuntu -xfce4) and make a cd for those who cannot download them themselves."

"As well, some may have some useful things which are collecting dust but may be helpful to others to get Ubuntu up and running."

lotusleaf
November 17th, 2005, 11:03 PM
Thanks for the replies :)