PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Hidden files question

jbysmith
September 7th, 2008, 07:50 PM
I have a silly question about Gnome's use of the ".hidden" files to hide files. Since search engines tend to drop the period it's near impossible to search for this heh..

Anyway, I have a dual boot setup between Gnome and XP. I have my pictures, music and such on the XP drive linked into my Gnome home folder, which really works nicely.

Does the .hidden file allow wildcards or the like? Namely, I would just like to filter out all the thumbs.db, desktop.ini files and the like on a global level. I can get it on a per-directory basis, but would really like to hide those globally.

Any way of doing this? Or do I have to do it the brute-force method?

Thanks

Nameless Neko
October 15th, 2008, 09:18 AM
I'm seconding this request - pretty similar setup here. I suppose it'd be possible to create a script that goes through every directory in a directory you specify, finds any with thumbs.db, desktop.ini, etc, and puts a .hidden file in the directory with those entries in it. Kinda overkill if there's a simpler method, though.

http://markmail.org/message/tsquztzjs3dpudo4

Anyway, found this while browsing. It promises the functionality we're looking for, but I'm not quite sure what to do with it, or if it'll even work in more modern versions of GNOME, seeing as it's from 2004.