PDA

View Full Version : Yet another introduction

UphillSkier
November 17th, 2005, 05:11 AM
Hi, folks

I installed Breezy on my home machine a month or so ago, but just signed on to the forums today. I am incredibly impressed with Ubuntu' s eae of use. It installed like a breeze (no pun intended) and detected my old hardware and new HP printer without any intervention at all. The amount of support on the wiki and forums is amazing. Tonight I decided to check out some streaming audio and discovered that my sound card wasn't working. The starter guide got all the plugins installed and a wiki search on sound gave me the advice to install snd-sb16 manually. Wonderful work, everyone.

I've been a dabbler in the computing world ever since 1966, when I took a job teaching assembly language programming for IBM - but my day job is teaching economics at a mid-sized university. I am strongly committed to the open source movement - not least because it challenges some of the most basic principles of economics, like the necessity of property rights.

I do experimental economics, in which subjects come to a computer lab to make economic decisions under various rules. I have programmed such applications using C on an old netbios network and more recently using Delphi for windows, but would like to use open source languages for any future work. It looks like Ubuntu is just the right community for my interests. I'll be back soon:p

Brunellus
November 17th, 2005, 05:30 AM
wow! a real computational economist who digs Linux!

Welcome!

Kyral
November 17th, 2005, 05:32 AM
Caaaaan yoooooouuuu feeeeeeelll the Ubuuuunnnnnttuuuu Loooovveeee tooooniiighhht?

Sorry seeing all the intro threads made me sing that :D

Brunellus
November 17th, 2005, 05:39 AM
must be the echo of the Breezy release.

lotusleaf
November 17th, 2005, 05:41 AM
Welcome to the forums, UphillSkier. :)