PDA

View Full Version : Why I hate Facebook!

clanky
September 7th, 2008, 05:53 PM
RANT WARNING!

Ok, I work at sea, I spend 4 weeks onboard and 4 weeks at home so facebook is really good for keeping in touch with people when the ship is in port, the problem is that I only want people on there who are actually my friends, I often have a limited time, so I don't want to have to trawl through a load of crap about how someone I barely know has been shopping yesterday.

The problem is that while I know lots of people and I try to be as friendly as possible with them all, I do not count them all as friends and I keep getting friend requests from people who I don't particularly like and they get all upset when I don't add them. 1 person recently sent messages to all the people who are listed as my friends calling me an ******* just because I didn't add them as a facebook friend. I barely know this person so why should I be expected to give them access to my e-mail address?

RANT ENDS

Thankyou for listening, I don't expect any solutions to this, I just got so p***ed off at this that I needed a rant.

myusername
September 7th, 2008, 06:05 PM
RANT WARNING!

Ok, I work at sea, I spend 4 weeks onboard and 4 weeks at home so facebook is really good for keeping in touch with people when the ship is in port, the problem is that I only want people on there who are actually my friends, I often have a limited time, so I don't want to have to trawl through a load of crap about how someone I barely know has been shopping yesterday.

The problem is that while I know lots of people and I try to be as friendly as possible with them all, I do not count them all as friends and I keep getting friend requests from people who I don't particularly like and they get all upset when I don't add them. 1 person recently sent messages to all the people who are listed as my friends calling me an ******* just because I didn't add them as a facebook friend. I barely know this person so why should I be expected to give them access to my e-mail address?

RANT ENDS

Thankyou for listening, I don't expect any solutions to this, I just got so p***ed off at this that I needed a rant.

i dont like it because they're constantly changing the interface to something less organized and harder to figure out (i dont like this new facebook crap). but i use it nonetheless

vishzilla
September 7th, 2008, 06:08 PM
As soon as I figured out I was spending too much time playing mindless games. I decided to remove my account. Facebook is a waste of time IMO. I prefer IM.

dasunst3r
September 7th, 2008, 06:13 PM
If I were your friend and I received the message from that one ****, you wouldn't have lost any of my respect because I have better things to do than to send {insert number of friends here} messages. As a matter of fact, I'd report that message as spam/abuse and let karma take over.

There are two things I think you ought to do: (1) Let God/karma deal with the person who sent that message (it really isn't Facebook's fault) and (2) Keep your name from spreading around like wildfire and give it only to people who need to know.

Swarms
September 7th, 2008, 06:15 PM
I use it as a platform for planning stuff, like this year skiing trip to Italy.
I am in charge of the organisation, and I use Facebook to forward information, collect it etc.

And sometimes I use it to chat with people too.

billgoldberg
September 7th, 2008, 06:23 PM
RANT WARNING!

RANT ENDS

Just use e-mail to keep contact or an IM client.

I don't want the world to see what I tell my friends.

That's why I don't use those kind of sites.

Eisenwinter
September 7th, 2008, 06:32 PM
I don't use facebook, and have no plans to.

I do have a MySpace, which was initially created to keep in touch with Americans I meet here in Israel, who don't have any IM client.

It gradually expanded to containing online friends from IRC.

fatality_uk
September 7th, 2008, 06:34 PM
Why people feel the need to have every last second of their lives on display to the world is beyond me.

karellen
September 7th, 2008, 06:49 PM
I keep in touch with my friend via instant messaging

clanky
September 7th, 2008, 06:55 PM
IM is OK if you have plenty of time, but for me facebook is actually quite useful, I can leave messages for people and they can do the same (I regularly only get on the internet for 30 minutes per week when i am at sea). E-mail would be OK, but I don't want to have to carry / remember loads of e-mail addresses.

Facebook for me is a good idea, at least the basics rather than all the nonsense about poking and throwing cakes etc. I just wish there was some way to refuse friend requests without people taking it as an insult, as for the person who sent the message she has burnt a few bridges with my friends as well as with me, but if it had not been for this then maybe I could have gotten to know her a bit better and actually become real friends rather than internet acquaintances.

sefs
September 7th, 2008, 07:03 PM
Why people feel the need to have every last second of their lives on display to the world is beyond me.

co-sign.

Zlatan
September 7th, 2008, 07:18 PM
IM is OK if you have plenty of time, but for me facebook is actually quite useful, I can leave messages for people and they can do the same (I regularly only get on the internet for 30 minutes per week when i am at sea). E-mail would be OK, but I don't want to have to carry / remember loads of e-mail addresses.

Facebook for me is a good idea, at least the basics rather than all the nonsense about poking and throwing cakes etc. I just wish there was some way to refuse friend requests without people taking it as an insult, as for the person who sent the message she has burnt a few bridges with my friends as well as with me, but if it had not been for this then maybe I could have gotten to know her a bit better and actually become real friends rather than internet acquaintances.

try gmail web interface, that should be useful for you

billgoldberg
September 7th, 2008, 07:35 PM

You will only need to create a list of adresses from your friends once in something like gmail.

billgoldberg
September 7th, 2008, 07:36 PM
co-sign.

Ditto.

clanky
September 7th, 2008, 08:13 PM
Thanks for the g-mail idea, might give that a try, but to be honest I quite like catching up on what others have been up to via facebook. Luckily most of my friends are a bit too grown up for the food fight nonsense so it really is just the basic messaging and the mini blog type stuff.

Northsider
September 7th, 2008, 10:43 PM
People are now treating Facebook like Myspace, which is unfortunate. It's a great tool for organizing social events, groups, keeping in touch with friends, etc. All of these applications and "superpokes" and "zombie bites" are f-ing ridiculous...

Neurotripsick
September 7th, 2008, 10:56 PM
here's an article for all you facebook lovers/haters
its a very interesting read

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2008/jan/14/facebook

clanky
September 7th, 2008, 11:06 PM
An interesting article, while I agree with the bit about the pub being a much better way to keep in touch with those around you than facebook or the like, it is a useful way for people who do not live close enough to go to the pub to stay in touch.

caravel
September 7th, 2008, 11:47 PM

Well because it exists and people can. That's usually enough. I'm not sure of the logic behind these social networking sites either.

I think, and this is just my opinion, that many people are turning to these sites as society gets more unfriendly and community spirit dies out.

PurposeOfReason
September 8th, 2008, 12:08 AM
Facebook is a good idea IMO. With email and IM you have to ask for the address whereas facebook lets you add people and then talk to them with its client. That'a all I use it for though. I hate the pokes, apps, etc.

ooobuntooo
September 8th, 2008, 08:56 AM
Social networking is nothing more than a cop-out for geekily inept personalities.

clanky
September 8th, 2008, 09:15 AM
Social networking is nothing more than a cop-out for geekily inept personalities.

Or for those who live / work too far apart to be in regular contact. I agree that people who live in the same city would be better speaking to each other, but social networking is a great way to keep in touch with people who you would otherwise lose touch with.

musicmars
September 8th, 2008, 11:10 AM
I got out of facebook when I realized all my friends used and who wants their own family knowing what you are doing or who you are dating etc. It's just for young kids with nothing better to do.

barbedsaber
September 8th, 2008, 11:52 AM
I like fb.

uberdonkey5
September 8th, 2008, 12:51 PM
hmm, I use facebook alot. I live in a different country now and find it useful to post pics to friends and as an email system (saves me sending them). I agree you get lots of people wanting to be 'friends' who aren't (esp. family members). I try to limit my friends to 50 (deleting superfluous friends). Also I don't sign up to ANY applications except a basic photomanager.

Just need to be tough and ignore friend requests.

Indeed, I have slimmed down my system now. For communication just use:
gmail

I think these are all the best packages of their type

Polygon
September 8th, 2008, 02:18 PM
Just use e-mail to keep contact or an IM client.

I don't want the world to see what I tell my friends.

That's why I don't use those kind of sites.

you have obviously never use any of these sites, or else you would know that facebook has pretty damn good privacy settings, and you can make it so only your friends (which you choose) see any of your information, the only thing a person on the outside would see is a tiny thumbnail of your main profile picture.

and i like the new facebook interface, its a lot easier to find some stuff. Certain things like 'notifications' were hard to get back to since they were hidden on some page

clanky
September 8th, 2008, 02:37 PM
facebook has pretty damn good privacy settings, and you can make it so only your friends (which you choose) see any of your information, the only thing a person on the outside would see is a tiny thumbnail of your main profile picture.

They also get to see a list of who all your friends are (as I found out!), unless I am missing something and there is a way to hide this?

Happibun
September 8th, 2008, 02:51 PM
Even more annoying, not only can they see your friends, but Facebook tells them how many 'friends' you have in common, so you can't pretend that you don't know them. Cue Facebook flamewars :-(

sydbat
September 8th, 2008, 03:54 PM
musicmars has the best analogy - Facebook is for kids. Really. It is aimed at young people (mostly teens) and has no real redeeming qualities. It is a website designed to sell advertising and collect information.

I know this sounds "conspiracy theory-like", but, like Saturday morning cartoons made to sell toys/games/crap/etc, 'social engineering...um...networking sites' like this just get young people fully integrated into the consumerism society.[/rant]

scouser73
September 10th, 2008, 03:52 AM
RANT WARNING!

RANT ENDS

Why don't you just remove yourself from the Facebook search, thus enabling you to add friends that you want, without all the hassle.

tdrusk
September 10th, 2008, 03:55 AM
I think it's funny when people are all depressed about a breakup and Facebook stomps their faces with "Name is no longer listed as in a relationship" "Name and Name are no longer together"

A little salt for the wound.

Polygon
September 10th, 2008, 04:00 AM

yeah, having a form of contact between me and my uncle who lives in Taiwan is such a cop out. Overgeneralizing is bad.

Trail
September 10th, 2008, 07:58 AM
I recently posted my `Favorite Music' on my profile. Yesterday I read an advertisement about Massive Attack and some other similar bands.

I was so pissed off (and still am) that I removed all personal info and stuff, changed my sexual preference to men and my age to 48. Now it says I have `intimate possibilities' with a friend of mine...

myusername
September 10th, 2008, 08:02 AM
I recently posted my `Favorite Music' on my profile. Yesterday I read an advertisement about Massive Attack and some other similar bands.

I was so pissed off (and still am) that I removed all personal info and stuff, changed my sexual preference to men and my age to 48. Now it says I have `intimate possibilities' with a friend of mine...

i just discovered massive attack yesterday. they're amazing. but i don't remember how i found them...hmmm brainwashing?

Chessmaster
September 10th, 2008, 08:07 AM

+1 Couldn't agree more.

Not saying that everyone is like this, but I suspect that it is in part due to the relatively modern mass desire for stardom, fame, being the center of the universe etc. Some blogs are similar. People seem to want to tell the world their entire lives....but does anyone really care? I only rarely care about what my very close friends are up to, the rest are pretty irrelevant.

Not saying all are like that. But loads of people seem to use facebook etc to announce their importance to the world...the vast majority of who are people they barely know (i.e. they wouldn't call them up to go and have a beer with them).

stinger30au
September 10th, 2008, 10:19 AM
facebook is a fad. im not registered on it and im not interested in it. my friends have my mobile and my email. thats enough contact for me :-))

nothingspecial
September 10th, 2008, 01:04 PM
I have a facebook account because my wife made me (you`ve not met my wife).

It`s because she wanted to be married to me. I thought we were already but apparently you can`t be married to someone on facebook unless they`re on facebook too. So, just to be sure we were married, I created an account and now we are.
That was the first and last time I logged on to facebook.
The trouble is that I keep on getting friendship requests from people I`ve not seen for ages. I have to ignore them because I just don`t want to go down the facebook road. Sometimes I think I should put a big sign on my facebook page saying "I don`t do this, I never log on, I`m only here so I can be married to my wife!" but that would be using facebook.
Does anyone know. If I delete my account, will I still be married?

Erik Trybom
September 10th, 2008, 01:12 PM
Facebook is great for keeping in touch with people at different levels:

1. You meet this person nearly every day. Facebook not really needed.

2. You meet this person quite regularly. Facebook can be good for inviting these people to parties, sharing pictures and so on.

3. You seldom meet this person, but like to hear about what's going on in his or her life, and perhaps set up a time to go have a beer together. Facebook is great for this kind of stuff.

4. You acknowledge that this person exists, don't really feel any need to keep in touch with him/her, but can send a birthday greeting every now and then just to show that you're still around.

Of course, only a few apps are actually useful. Photos, events, the wall, messages. Most other stuff (and I certainly do include groups here) is utterly useless.

Chessmaster
September 10th, 2008, 01:24 PM
4. You acknowledge that this person exists, don't really feel any need to keep in touch with him/her, but can send a birthday greeting every now and then just to show that you're still around.

What's the point in that? Kinda like when you bump into someone in the pub you haven't seen for 10 yrs and you have absolutely nothing to say to each other, other than "so....what ya been up to?" - not that you care. And it is really awkward.

At least in real life you can pretend you didn't see them, on facebook you just can't escape them. Which mean it is even more awkward in pub because you feel like you ought to talk to them because they are your facebook "friend".

Chessmaster
September 10th, 2008, 01:29 PM
One thing I do hate about facebook and all those social network sites, is that people can put up photos of you for the whole world to see *without your permission*.

I am a private person and I don't really want photos of myself all over the net from some party I was at a week ago, or a year, or 10 for that matter.

I don't mind people taking photos etc, but I don't like the idea of them throwing them about for the world to see.

starcannon
September 10th, 2008, 01:32 PM
RANT WARNING!

RANT ENDS

Make another account that you only give out to your close friends and family. Then if your feeling froggy you log into your everybody account, if your just wanting to hang out with your close buds or whatever jump on your "members only" account.

DeadSuperHero
September 10th, 2008, 01:53 PM
Man, people sure like to complain about social networking sites.

JUST DON'T USE THEM.

I happen to love them, I don't want to have to hear about "Oh, they're so horrible! THEY MUST BE THE DEVIL!" and about 50 or so people making the exact same replies.

Canis familiaris
September 10th, 2008, 02:00 PM
JUST DON'T USE THEM.

That's exactly what I do.

EnGorDiaz
September 10th, 2008, 02:15 PM
RANT WARNING!

RANT ENDS

lol

caravel
September 10th, 2008, 02:19 PM
One thing I do hate about facebook and all those social network sites, is that people can put up photos of you for the whole world to see *without your permission*.

I am a private person and I don't really want photos of myself all over the net from some party I was at a week ago, or a year, or 10 for that matter.

I don't mind people taking photos etc, but I don't like the idea of them throwing them about for the world to see.

This is the biggest problem with these sites and this has happened to me. In my case it was family that were responsible for putting up a photo of me without my permission and I made them take the photos down by actually calling them. Suppose it was a so called online "friend" that you'd met through the site? Getting in touch with such a person could be very difficult as they could simply ignore your emails.

aomlives
September 10th, 2008, 02:31 PM
They also get to see a list of who all your friends are (as I found out!), unless I am missing something and there is a way to hide this?

For the record, you can prevent unknown people from seeing your friend list, send you messages etc. simply by editing your privacy settings.

I use facebook a lot, for example it's ideal for sharing photos, if you use the correct privacy settings so not everyone can see them - of course.

Chessmaster
September 10th, 2008, 02:39 PM
Man, people sure like to complain about social networking sites.

JUST DON'T USE THEM.

I don't use them. But that doesn't stop people from broadcasting information about me and photos of me on them.

There are serious issues with the unauthorized dissemination of information without consent. Sure it happens outside of the internet and networking sites (eg news papers etc, but they tend to do it for specific reasons and even then there are privacy issues/laws that they have to conform to such as being in the public interest etc), but networking sites have made it easier and much more common.

I know other people who are uneasy about their image and info etc being plastered all over some persons page without their consent. So I am not alone in thinking this is a problem, that is no doubt going to get far worse.

aomlives
September 10th, 2008, 02:41 PM
Suppose it was a so called online "friend" that you'd met through the site? Getting in touch with such a person could be very difficult as they could simply ignore your emails.

If a so called "friend" had taken a picture of you and put it online, this would mean you actually met each other, so then it wouldn't be that difficult to contact him/her right?

Even if this was the case you could simply send a mail to a facebook mod and ask for the photo to be removed, I've come across a few cases already were the facebook mods actually do something when you ask them to :)