PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Login Screen Rejection

JumpForJoy
September 7th, 2008, 03:07 PM
Ok. I just installed Ubuntu today. I can get to the login screen on my commputer but as I type in my name and password it begins to log me in, but then my moniter goes into a powersaving mode and turns back on a couple seconds latter back at the login screen. I can login in the fail safe mode but only that. I am compleatly new to Linux and Ubuntu so any help will be greatly appriciated. Thanks.

sharks
September 7th, 2008, 03:10 PM
on ur login screen, at the left bottom there will be options and select sessions and gnome fail session or safe mode and try.

JumpForJoy
September 7th, 2008, 03:15 PM
Yes. I can get into the fail safe mode of gnome but that is all. If I try to run it normally my moniter shuts off and a few seconds later it's back on, but the screen returns to the login screen.

d79457
September 7th, 2008, 04:10 PM
Yes. I can get into the fail safe mode of gnome but that is all. If I try to run it normally my moniter shuts off and a few seconds later it's back on, but the screen returns to the login screen.

I am a fresh to ubuntu too, sorry i can't help you~

Bucky Ball
September 7th, 2008, 04:13 PM
When you boot to the grub menu, try going into the recovery kernel (should be second on the list) and see if that throws an error or fixes anything on its check through. Let us know how you go.

JumpForJoy
September 7th, 2008, 04:45 PM
Yes. I went to the secont opption and everyting said ok next to it. I can't connect to the enternet through Ununtu so I couldn't get to the websites. I tryed the 3 options that I had on the screen and they all finished. I still cant get to login without the safe boot....

JumpForJoy
September 7th, 2008, 05:07 PM
Ok. I just tried going into safe boot, termanal and typeing

sudo cp /etc/X11 xorg.conf.bak

sudo rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf

It didn't change anything

Bucky Ball
September 7th, 2008, 05:10 PM
There is a screen setting in your Gnome setup which is causing this I am imagining. As this is a fresh install and you haven't played around with much, I can't see why it should be doing this but ...
Something new everyday.

Have you ever been able to login normally? Could you post the specs of your machine please so we know what we're dealing with. Could be a known bug with a workaround.

As it is a fresh install, you can try the advice here:

http://linuxfud.wordpress.com/2006/09/29/ubuntu-crashes-on-start-and-returns-to-the-login-screen/

I would say be very wary of anything that tells you to rm -rf as you are removing files and if you don't know what, you can get in real trouble. In this instance though, you are only removing settings, not the applications so safe. Have a good read of that and maybe a look about.

* Update!!! My point exactly. You have just removed your xorg.conf file. You do have a backup thankfully. That is if you typed

sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bak

and not

sudo cp /etc/X11 xorg.conf.bak (you have a / missing)

See if you can still log in gnome failsafe or any other way, please. :)

JumpForJoy
September 7th, 2008, 05:42 PM
Ok thanks. I'll look at that website. I can still login in the fail-safe mode only. How should I get my settings back to defult?

JumpForJoy
September 7th, 2008, 05:56 PM
I have also never been able to login normaly

Djanvk
September 7th, 2008, 06:13 PM
I'm also new to linux and was having the same problems as you described. It has something to do with the gnome desktop what I did that worked to use Linux I went to the bottom left and selected the menu to go into a console, and I did this:

sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop

or

sudo apt-getinstall icewm

and then in the bottom left menu selected either the icewm or the xfcd (something like that) and those GUI desktops work for me.

Hope this helped. It's something with the Gnome desktop.

Bucky Ball
September 7th, 2008, 06:29 PM
Okay, try the instructions on that site and see if that gets you any joy. \\:D/

Bucky Ball
September 7th, 2008, 06:31 PM
I'm also new to linux and was having the same problems as you described. It has something to do with the gnome desktop what I did that worked to use Linux I went to the bottom left and selected the menu to go into a console, and I did this:

sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop

or

sudo apt-getinstall icewm

and then in the bottom left menu selected either the icewm or the xfcd (something like that) and those GUI desktops work for me.

Hope this helped. It's something with the Gnome desktop.

That doesn't fix the original problem at all, of course, just means you are using a different desktop. You would be better off finding out why this is happening because basically, you won't be able to use a straight gnome desktop until you do. Xubuntu is a pared down version for lower spec machines and icewm is even more lightweight. You can add apps as you go, but you get my meaning. If you consider that a solution why not load KDE, Openbox, Fluxbuntu ... there are a million apt-get take_your_pick options to choose from. ;(

I imagine it is a screen setting in your original gnome or something along those lines ... it is trying to load the gnome desktop, it is too large to fit and therefore is defaulting back to login again to try and get you to fix it or choose another.

Will post again on this tomorrow when I am awake! It is 3am here. :-s

sanemanmad
September 7th, 2008, 06:34 PM

Did you reboot or restart the X-server by chance?

sanemanmad
September 7th, 2008, 06:39 PM
You may also consider running through the dpkg util.

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

JumpForJoy
September 7th, 2008, 06:42 PM
Did you reboot or restart the X-server by chance?
I'm not sure. I restarted my commputer.

@Djanvk: I tryed your advice,thanks, but it didn't help me. I still couldn't log in.

@Bucky Ball: Thanks. I will, Good night.

Bucky Ball
September 8th, 2008, 03:45 AM
BTW

sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bak /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Should put a copy of your original back into the appropriate place. You should be able to do this by dropping to a shell from you login screen as shown below rather than having to load Live CD each time.

First, type:

dir /etc/X11

To make sure your backup copy is there.

dir = directory. cp = copy. mv = move. rm = remove!

* Dropping to a shell from login screen
At your login screen before logging in try this:

1/ CTL/ALT/F1 - (this will take you to a shell)
2/ Enter user name and password
3/ Type: nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf (this should show you the xorg.conf file)

Have a look in there and check out the section that is about your screen. Does it say 'Default Screen'?

Let us know how you went and maybe scribble down some details and post them here.

4/ Type: start X (may need to type sudo start X, not sure from memory)

That should boot. Do you get the same result and wind up at the login screen again?

sudo: su = super user; do = do! superuser do (or make me root for this command only).

:)

sanemanmad
September 8th, 2008, 12:40 PM
There is a screen setting in your Gnome setup which is causing this I am imagining. As this is a fresh install and you haven't played around with much, I can't see why it should be doing this but ...
Something new everyday.

Have you ever been able to login normally? Could you post the specs of your machine please so we know what we're dealing with. Could be a known bug with a workaround.

As it is a fresh install, you can try the advice here:

http://linuxfud.wordpress.com/2006/09/29/ubuntu-crashes-on-start-and-returns-to-the-login-screen/

I would say be very wary of anything that tells you to rm -rf as you are removing files and if you don't know what, you can get in real trouble. In this instance though, you are only removing settings, not the applications so safe. Have a good read of that and maybe a look about.

* Update!!! My point exactly. You have just removed your xorg.conf file. You do have a backup thankfully. That is if you typed

sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bak

and not

sudo cp /etc/X11 xorg.conf.bak (you have a / missing)

See if you can still log in gnome failsafe or any other way, please. :)
How would removing the xorg.conf file prevent someone from logging into Gnome? last I checked the xorg settings are applied during boot. So having user rm that file would start with a scratch file [Which I have done NUMEROUS times]. In fact, I could not get dualhead to work, so I removed my xorg.conf file.... and voila! I had dualmonitors. Of course some of the settings my need to be altered but it worked.

This may not be the case in this thread... Of course from looks this case may not be resolved.

*UPDATE to all who are having this issue*

Does this sound like your problem? You get to the login... it looks normal. So you enter your username... now your password.... You can hear the Ubuntu start-up screen.... you see the desktop..... Wait everything just went dark and my screen is going to sleep.....Shoot. Im back at the login. YES. This fixed my problem. ....... removing my xorg file and if it is still acting up then you will need to sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

Bucky Ball
September 8th, 2008, 01:36 PM
This fixed my problem. ....... removing my xorg

Didn't fix this one.

How would removing the xorg.conf file prevent someone from logging into Gnome?

It wouldn't. But you would lose any settings you have in there. Seeing as this is a fresh install, not much to be lost. Point I was trying to make to a new user was that rm-ing is not a good idea until you know what you are doing (some people think it is funny to tell new users to rm vital files thus screwing their system). You will note the instructions followed were from another page and they included backing up xorg.conf .

if it is still acting up then you will need to sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorgAgreed, by all means, give it a shot and see how you go.

JumpForJoy
September 9th, 2008, 12:01 PM
Ok. Big news. I was able to log into Ubuntu normaly for the first time. How I did it:
I went into failsafe gnome
I rigtclicked on the desktop and changed the desktop background to a single color.
This allowed me to login to ubuntu but it did not fix the overall problem. I still don't know why I wasn't able to log in. I wasn't using any transparenty like in the article. I'll try the other thing that all you guys sujested and see if that lets me have any background?

JumpForJoy
September 10th, 2008, 01:15 AM
Any Idea why the background was messing me up?

JumpForJoy
September 11th, 2008, 12:15 AM
All right. I fee like an idiot. I can't login anymore. I've tried everything that I did befor but I can't login... What should I do?

JumpForJoy
September 11th, 2008, 12:10 PM
BTW

Should put a copy of your original back into the appropriate place. You should be able to do this by dropping to a shell from you login screen as shown below rather than having to load Live CD each time.

First, type:

dir /etc/X11

To make sure your backup copy is there.

dir = directory. cp = copy. mv = move. rm = remove!

* Dropping to a shell from login screen
At your login screen before logging in try this:

1/ CTL/ALT/F1 - (this will take you to a shell)
2/ Enter user name and password
3/ Type: nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf (this should show you the xorg.conf file)

Have a look in there and check out the section that is about your screen. Does it say 'Default Screen'?

Let us know how you went and maybe scribble down some details and post them here.

4/ Type: start X (may need to type sudo start X, not sure from memory)

That should boot. Do you get the same result and wind up at the login screen again?

sudo: su = super user; do = do! superuser do (or make me root for this command only).

Big problem. I just discovered that my xorg.conf file is gone. I typed dir .etc/X11
It showed a few files and two files that were:
1. xorg.conf.20089907071733
2. xorg.conf.20080907073446

No just xorg.conf file
therefor when I typed sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bak /etc/X11/xorg.conf it did nothing. I beleive that this could be my problem now. How can I get this file back?

Bucky Ball
September 11th, 2008, 01:18 PM

Yea, that is when you removed it, remember?

Okay, make sure you are in /etc/X11 dir:

cd /etc/X11

Then, create an empty file there:

sudo mkdir xorg.conf

Run 'dir' to make sure you have successfully created the empty file. Also, check to make sure the backup file we created is in there. I wonder about this as in your quote above, this command:

Should have been:

sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bak

Which would have copied your original xorg.conf file into the same directory under the name xorg.conf.bak. If it is there, then:

That should put it back.

If it is not there, you could try:

... and/or

sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

Let us know how you go.

handydan918
September 11th, 2008, 01:45 PM
Yea, that is when you removed it, remember?

Okay, make sure you are in /etc/X11 dir:

cd /etc/X11

Then, create an empty file there:

sudo mkdir xorg.conf

Unless the devs have created a weird alias for mkdir, the correct command here should be
sudo touch xorg.conf

mkdir makes an empty directory.
touch creates an empty file.

tarps87
September 11th, 2008, 01:50 PM
It sounds like it could be resolution problem, I don't know why changing the background fixed it temporally.
try:

and select only the resolution 800x600 and see if this solves it.
Under system -> preferences -> screen resolution (in safe mode) what resolution does it say its using

Bucky Ball
September 11th, 2008, 02:31 PM
mkdir makes an empty directory.
touch creates an empty file.

Of course, handydan. Thanks. Studying for an exam so brain elsewhere. Might get back to it. 8-[

That is naturally what I was getting at. :)

handydan918
September 13th, 2008, 01:37 AM
Of course, handydan. Thanks. Studying for an exam so brain elsewhere. Might get back to it. 8-[

That is naturally what I was getting at. :)

I understand. I recently directed some hapless soul to look for his xorg.conf in /etc/xserver....
duh.

JumpForJoy
September 13th, 2008, 02:09 AM
Ok... I deleted the xorg.conf dir and replaced it with a nano xorg.conf. I then ran both sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg and dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg. It created backup files. I still can't login. I changed my screen resolution to 600x800. It was way higher... can't remember exactly what... but I still cant log in?

crjackson
September 13th, 2008, 02:34 AM
I'm guessing you have a ATI video card. Probably and Xpress 200 or something similar. Please confirm. If so, I have a few things you can try that will probably fix the problem.

Have a look at this bug report (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg/+bug/252767) I filed.

SHRIKEE
September 13th, 2008, 04:09 PM
I have this exact same issue with an ATI onboard X200

AMD3500+, 1.5GB ram, 320GB SATAII, 17" LCD (1280x1024 @ 1024x768)

Any tips what so ever? I want to make a server and am tired of doing everything via terminal so i installed the desktop version :)

It seems i made a bad choice so far...

Failsafe mode works, Failsafe terminal also.

ctrl/alt/f1-f8 screws up the screen output and stalls until i press ctrl/alt/f9 again which brings me to the default (graphical) login prompt.

reconfiguring X didn't work. Also lowering the res in failsafe didnt, i instaleed updates via failsafe which also didn't solve the issue.

crjackson
September 13th, 2008, 04:31 PM
I have this exact same issue with an ATI onboard X200

AMD3500+, 1.5GB ram, 320GB SATAII, 17" LCD (1280x1024 @ 1024x768)

Any tips what so ever? I want to make a server and am tired of doing everything via terminal so i installed the desktop version :)

It seems i made a bad choice so far...

Failsafe mode works, Failsafe terminal also.

ctrl/alt/f1-f8 screws up the screen output and stalls until i press ctrl/alt/f9 again which brings me to the default (graphical) login prompt.

reconfiguring X didn't work. Also lowering the res in failsafe didnt, i instaleed updates via failsafe which also didn't solve the issue.

I haven't tried it yet, but I'm told you can login using failsafe, and blow away compiz fusion. I'm also told you can login failsafe, get the restricted driver installed, turn off desktop effects and that too works.

I haven't tested this yet...

SHRIKEE
September 13th, 2008, 04:35 PM
wicked, gonna try that now..

didn't think of compiz yet...

i'll keep you posted

SHRIKEE
September 13th, 2008, 05:12 PM
Hmm somehow with the "change the background" thing even failsafe died.

No menubars show up and all it does is load this:
http://meandmymac.net/wp-content/uploads/img_0043.jpg

but i thought of something else...

I'm gonna install the server edition, since i want a server anyway, and intall a basic no-nonsense Gnome on that.

I think that'll work better.
http://www.google.com/search?q=ubuntu%20server%20gnome
Many people have tried/done this already so i'm sure i can manage too...

JumpForJoy
September 13th, 2008, 10:03 PM
Yep that's exactly the problem I have. That link didn't help much. I stil have no idea why this is happening. I don't want the server ubuntu so I'm a fix. I also can't change my grafics card, or don't know how to. So....

JumpForJoy
September 14th, 2008, 06:37 PM
Ok. I droped to the shell with Ctr+Alt+F1. I then cd to /etc/X11 then sudo startX. I loged in fine as the root by doing that but I still couldn't login normaly only like that and failsafe.

JumpForJoy
September 15th, 2008, 12:14 AM
What should I do once I sucsessfully start the x sever?

Bucky Ball
September 15th, 2008, 03:38 AM
You are on the desktop but back to square one with the login merry go round - login and back to login screen? If so, try right clicking on the desktop and set background to 'solid colour' if it is not already. Set effects to normal for the moment, just to see if this works.

pmohr
September 15th, 2008, 03:44 AM
FWIW, I'm experiencing the same problem...and, surprise:
01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RS482 [Radeon Xpress 200]

Going to try a few things now...

Bucky Ball
September 15th, 2008, 05:23 AM
http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubuntu_Hardy_Installation_Guide

pmohr, is that any help?

JumpForJoy
September 16th, 2008, 01:27 AM
I couldn't get much from that webpage. Thanks though... I have already changed the background and it didn't help me log in. Thanks though...

crjackson
September 17th, 2008, 04:52 PM
I couldn't get much from that webpage. Thanks though... I have already changed the background and it didn't help me log in. Thanks though...

I don't have that particular box anymore. I upgraded my video card to elimiate the issue, and gave the box to my son a few hundred miles away. I do have another box EXACTLY like it (bought 2 for my store) that's not in use at the moment.

I'll try to clear some time later in the week to see if I can find some way to make this happen for you. I posted the original bug report but the launchpad moderator told me he was going to close the bug since no one else seemed to have the problem, and I couldn't provide additional information.

If you guys would look up my privious post with the link to the bug report and generate some activity, perhaps we can get the "A" team to help out with this. Otherwise I fear the bug may carry over to the next release and so forth.

If I'm able to find a work around, I'll let you know here ASAP.

chaotickat
September 17th, 2008, 06:37 PM
Hi,

I have the same problem and the same graphics card.

crjackson: I went over to the bug report page and posted the files they requested. Hopefully someone can figure this out. Thanks for all your hard work.

JumpForJoy
September 18th, 2008, 12:36 AM
Yes. I'll let you know if I find a work around too. This is a big bug if it carys on into the next and next ubuntu upgrads...

crjackson
September 18th, 2008, 02:54 AM
Maybe we'll get some help now that more people are responding. It's great how this community works together.:)

JumpForJoy
September 19th, 2008, 12:56 AM
Maybe we'll get some help now that more people are responding. It's great how this community works together.:)

Yes, I definatly agree. I hope that someone could find a workaround.... I find that the installation isn't the problem. It's alctuly something wrong with Ubuntu and my computer....:confused:

JumpForJoy
September 19th, 2008, 12:58 AM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=911497
That link might help some people. I don't know...

crjackson
September 19th, 2008, 01:46 AM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=911497
That link might help some people. I don't know...
@JumpForJoy

I don't think you ever stated what video card you have. Is it also the Radeon xpress 200 like the others have reported?

JumpForJoy
September 19th, 2008, 08:59 PM
Computer Specs:
System:
Microsoft Windows XP
Media Center Edition
Version 2002
Service Pack 2

Registered to:

Hewlett-PackardCompany
Compaq Presario
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor
3500+
984 MHx, 960 MB of RAM
Phyisical Address Extention

Device:
ATI RADEON XPRESS 200 Series
Manufacturer: ATI Techologies Inc.
Chip Type: ATI RADEON XPRESS 200 Seriesm (0x5954)
DAC Type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
Approx Total Memory: 256.0 MB
Current Display Mode: 1024 x 768 (32 bit)(60Hz)
Monitor: COMPAQ FS7600 Color Monitor

DirectX Freatures
DirectDraw Acceleration: Enabled
Direct3D Acceleration: Enabled
AGP Texture Acceleration: Enabled

I thought that I should just post all my specs(so yes I am)

JumpForJoy
September 19th, 2008, 09:01 PM
This is my video card: ATI Technologies Inc RS480 [Radeon Xpress 200G Series]

Is there a problem with Linux and This? Could that be the problem

from fourm http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=911497

Some one else has the same problem with the same card... interesting. Very interesting...:(

crjackson
September 19th, 2008, 09:10 PM
Computer Specs:
System:
Microsoft Windows XP
Media Center Edition
Version 2002
Service Pack 2

Registered to:

Hewlett-PackardCompany
Compaq Presario
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor
3500+
984 MHx, 960 MB of RAM
Phyisical Address Extention

Device:
ATI RADEON XPRESS 200 Series
Manufacturer: ATI Techologies Inc.
Chip Type: ATI RADEON XPRESS 200 Seriesm (0x5954)
DAC Type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
Approx Total Memory: 256.0 MB
Current Display Mode: 1024 x 768 (32 bit)(60Hz)
Monitor: COMPAQ FS7600 Color Monitor

DirectX Freatures
DirectDraw Acceleration: Enabled
Direct3D Acceleration: Enabled
AGP Texture Acceleration: Enabled

I thought that I should just post all my specs(so yes I am)

The system itself is fine (memory is on the low side though, so don't expect the best performance).

The main problem is the video card. I'll try to dig into this in a few days when my "Honey-Doo" chores are done. If I find a workaround, I'll post the solution here.

JumpForJoy
September 19th, 2008, 10:30 PM
Thanks, I'll do the same.

Bucky Ball
September 19th, 2008, 10:59 PM

Any good?

Make sure you have ubuntu-restricted-extras installed. This can be found by copy and pasting in a search in Synaptic Package Manager.

crjackson
September 19th, 2008, 11:23 PM

Any good?

Make sure you have ubuntu-restricted-extras installed. This can be found by copy and pasting in a search in Synaptic Package Manager.

I assume you mean restricted-modules and not restricted-extras which is totally different.

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install linux-restricted-modules-generic restricted-manager
sudo apt-get install xorg-driver-fglrx
sudo depmod -a

Bucky Ball
September 19th, 2008, 11:28 PM
I assume you mean restricted-modules and not restricted-extras which is totally different.

No, I didn't. Why? :confused::)

crjackson
September 20th, 2008, 03:29 AM
No, I didn't. Why? :confused::)

Because we are discussing problems with the fglrx restricted modules and their non-working condition with the Radeon Xpress 200. We're not discussing multimedia codecs, java, mscorettfonts, etc... So I don't see how ubuntu-restricted-extras got into the mix :confused:

Bucky Ball
September 20th, 2008, 01:16 PM
Because we are discussing problems with the fglrx restricted modules and their non-working condition with the Radeon Xpress 200. We're not discussing multimedia codecs, java, mscorettfonts, etc... So I don't see how ubuntu-restricted-extras got into the mix :confused:

Yep, I'm with ya. Late night! Investigating the restricted-modules myself now so thanks for that. Learn something everyday. :)

JumpForJoy
September 21st, 2008, 05:57 PM
when I type

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install linux-restricted-modules-generic restricted-manager
sudo apt-get install xorg-friver-fglrx
sudo depmod -a

in the terminal the only command that works is

sudo depmod -a
because I can't talk to the internet without loging on normaly.

What should I do?

Bucky Ball
September 21st, 2008, 06:31 PM

JumpForJoy
September 21st, 2008, 11:15 PM
why "."? how can I conect to the internet hmmmmmmm...........

markbuntu
September 22nd, 2008, 12:50 AM
There are problems other than just the xserver that will cause this login issue. When you get in with safe mode you need to look in your log files with System/Administration/System Log. There may be a message about a missing file in the syslog or in messages or the kern.log that are preventing gdm from authenticating the user. You may also find messages about why your network connection is not working.

You should also look in your Xorg.0.log for lines that start with (EE) which are error messages from the xserver startup sequence.

The log files are your friends. Go visit them

JumpForJoy
September 22nd, 2008, 10:28 PM
Awsome thanks
I got this screenshot. I'll get the xorg one when I can
Thanks so much...

JumpForJoy
September 22nd, 2008, 10:42 PM
ok. I looked at the xorg log file and there were no (EE) but there were a couple (WW) the warnigs I couldn't understand but the word Radeon was used a couple times....:confused:

markbuntu
September 22nd, 2008, 11:17 PM
OK, that was a good screenshot, you have a gdm failure which is preventing normal login. Gnome Safe mode bypasses gdm.

You can try this to login to your normal screen. System/Administration/Login Window. It will ask for your password and then it should open. Go to Security and check Enable Timed Login. This bypasses the password checking and may get around that GLib Critical thing. Put your username in the box and set the Pause before login at 10 seconds of more. Logout and see if that works.

Do not Enable Automatic Login or you will never be able to get to gnome safe mode again.

JumpForJoy
September 23rd, 2008, 12:35 AM
Yeah, that screen shot was a little fuzy. Thanks. I'll try that, but I don't think that it will work because I can log into gnome safe mode but everytime I click the logout butten in the top right my computer frezzes up. I'll try anyway. Thanks. Get back to you if it works or not.

JumpForJoy
September 23rd, 2008, 12:54 AM
ok. I looked at the xorg log file and there were no (EE) but there were a couple (WW) the warnigs I couldn't understand but the word Radeon was used a couple times....:confused:

(just restating that because that seems like a common problem)

Ok. so I changed it to a timed login, faild to logout of failsafe gnome. Then I restarted the computer and the countdown to log me in started. When it finished It loged me in then my screen went blank and it took me back to the login screen. Any ohter ideas. I'm stumped....[-o<why can't I figure this out!!!!! ahhhhh

JumpForJoy
September 23rd, 2008, 11:52 PM
does anyone else have any information on this problem?

markbuntu
September 24th, 2008, 01:00 AM
Ok, that didn't work. Try running System/Administration/Update Manager from gnome safe mode so we can be sure you are all updated.

JumpForJoy
September 25th, 2008, 08:51 PM
Ok. So I logged into gnome safe mode. Started to install the updates, but I couldn't because I can't connect to the internet in fail safe gnome. There were 5 updates that I couldn't install. I just got my version of Ubuntu like 2 weeks ago, so I'm almost positive that I have most of the important updates.

JumpForJoy
September 28th, 2008, 11:55 AM
Do you know if I would have this same problem if I tried the server version instead of the desktop version?

nefnet13
October 3rd, 2008, 05:04 AM
Hey everyone,

I am a new Linux user (as of tonight-- fresh install-- hooray, I think) and I too am a victim of this issue. And yes, my mobo has an onboard Radeon x200 graphics chipset.

Unlike Jump for Joy, however, I do have full network access in the "safe" login (Oops I almost called it "safe mode", how's that for Windoctrination?) and I have tried a few of the fixes recommended so far in this thread (although I must confess that the command-line stuff seems like typing gibberish at this point-- kind of unsettling doing things when I have no idea what the commands I am issuing mean) but so far no dice.

All I wanted was a nice desktop box with the Edubuntu package for my kids and wife to use. And I already blew out the old XP install completely (but it was pretty much borked anyway, and I was using a VLK of questionable authenticity, so I guess I really didn't lose much).

So if there's no resolution to this issue within the confines of Ubuntu, can any of you nice folks point me to a distro that is easy to set up, easy to use and would work properly with this confounded video chipset? 'Cause the whole reason I went the Linux route is because I'm cheap. Don't want to have to buy a vid card...

Thanks in advance for anybody's help.

Bucky Ball
October 3rd, 2008, 05:48 AM
nefnet13, you might be better to create a new thread with your problem in the suitable forum; General Help, Multimedia or this one. Give as much info as you can and a title that describes the problem as best you can. People won't find you at the end of such a long and old thread.

ps: just copy and paste the command line stuff. :)

JumpForJoy
October 5th, 2008, 12:17 PM
[QUOTE=Bucky Ball;5897555]nefnet13, you might be better to create a new thread with your problem in the suitable forum; General Help, Multimedia or this one. Give as much info as you can and a title that describes the problem as best you can. People won't find you at the end of such a long and old thread.
QUOTE]

Could you post the url of your thread plz.
Thanks

coffeepro
October 9th, 2008, 08:28 PM
I assume there is no fix or workaround for this yet?
Same card -----> Radeon xpress 200

7.04 installs fine. Tried 3 fresh installs of 8.04 but get the infinite loop to the log-in. What a hassle. Is Compiz ON by default and could that be the problem? Or is this release just not compatible with this piece-of-junk video card?

tarps87
October 10th, 2008, 09:09 AM
@JumpForJoy
Could you attach your xorg.confg file, I have expereanced a simular problem on the kunbuntu8.10 beta (i know its not the same version but it may work) and it was due to it using the wrong driver.
Also can you post the output of:

dpkg -l | grep xserver-xorg-video

and also
lspci | grep VGA

coffeepro
October 11th, 2008, 06:03 AM
Strange. The Ubuntu 8.04 disk from Canonical wouldn't work no matter how many times I tried. Looping back to the log-in. A burned Xubuntu 8.04 installed without the slightest hitch.

Not gonna question why and don't care.

Bucky Ball
October 11th, 2008, 05:25 PM
Strange. The Ubuntu 8.04 disk from Canonical wouldn't work no matter how many times I tried. Looping back to the log-in. A burned Xubuntu 8.04 installed without the slightest hitch.

Not gonna question why and don't care.

Neither would I. Seems to be the way it goes sometimes with Ubuntu at least for many reasons ... but it worked in the end! \\:D/

Keen101
October 11th, 2008, 06:25 PM
JumpForJoy, and nefnet13:

This may not solve your problems, but i figure it's worth a shot.

Try the 8.10 Ubuntu IBEX beta... It may have better graphics drivers for you. Of course it IS a beta, and things can break, but if hardy is not working for you....

I am running 8.10 IBEX on my HP Compaq dc5750, because I could not get any of the hardy 8.04 versions working with this computer. I was about to give up, but tried the IBEX alpha and it worked! The Ibex alpha/beta release seemed to have updated graphics drivers that the 8.04 hardy version did not have. I say, give it a try.

markonhismobile
October 11th, 2008, 11:02 PM
I'm having exactly the same issue on a freshly installed 8.04 machine.
LiveCD just looped when trying to login, but as I was getting a graphical display I assumed it just might need updating!
Installed it alongside XP (it's for the sis-in-law!) and after install I have this issue.
The PC in question does have the Radeon Xpress on-board graphics, confirmed via lspci.
All updates have been installed from the failsafe session. Judging from the (lack of) activity on the bug report filed for this issue I'm guessing my best bet is to advise her to use XP for the time being until Intreprid is released and I can do a dist-update for her!

tarps87
October 13th, 2008, 08:59 AM
You can try ctrl+alt+f1 then login and type
Sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.confg /etc/X11/xorg.confg.bck
Sudo vim /etc/X11/xorg.confgThis will make a copy of your xorg configuration file and open it in vim. Then find the line
Section "Device"
Identifier "Configured Video Device"
EndSection

change it to
Section "Device"
Identifier "Configured Video Device"
Driver "vesa"
EndSection
i to start typing, then esc and
:wq to save and exit
If this doesn't help you can do
Sudo mv /etc/X11/xorg.confg.bck /etc/X11/xorg.confg to undo the changes

JumpForJoy
March 3rd, 2009, 11:59 PM
Ok guys. I figured that I would bump this thread back to life because I have discovered a solution :o. I discovered this solution by giving up actually. I decided to end my life with ubuntu, due to this problem. Me, being foolish and unknowing, I put in my gpart live cd and selected Ubuntu then clicked delete. Thinking that my problem was solved, I rebooted my computer when (ahhh) grub had failed me... Grub couldn't redirect me to my windows partition due to the fact that my Ubuntu partition had been deleted. So then I decided that I could either reinstall windows or I could reinstall Ubuntu. Since I had many important files on windows, I went with reinstalling Ubuntu. After that I searched for my Ubuntu installation cd, alas I couldn't find it... I then was forced to install the new version of Ubuntu(the one after hardy) that I downloaded from another computer onto my computer to fix grub. After I installed Ubuntu miraculously it worked fine, even with my graphic card.:popcorn:

So what I draw from this...
If you have this problem, reinstall the latest version of Ubuntu on to your machine after deleting your old partition of Ubuntu. And now... you can log in.

You guys don't have any rules about major bumps do you?
Any questions?

SHRIKEE
March 4th, 2009, 12:03 AM
And you tried this on various machines, numerous times? I bet you just had a lucky hit... Since it's a driver/compatibility issue, if you have removed the partition your driver is gone too. So the sollution would simply be "upgrade to the latest ubuntu version". and not "delete your partition and reinstall the latest version".

Anyway, i havea mac mini now, which just works. According to the apple saying. And it does. So no more linux for me... yay!

thiha
April 20th, 2011, 11:02 PM
I just ran into the same problem after upgrading from 10.04 to 10.10. Can log in using the failsafe mode but not in the regular mode. I was using ATI driver. The problem was solved by not using the ATI driver.
Not to use ATI driver:

Login as root using the failsafe session then System->Administration->Additional Drivers

From there I removed ATI/AMD driver, and rebooted the machine. After that I was able to log in.

WFPokorny
June 4th, 2011, 06:44 PM
Hello everyone,
On upgrade to 10.04, I found my old gnome failsafe login for this problem no longer worked. I had to dig into the issue and for me it turned out I had a long ago created a ~/.profile file. A file of this name appears to confuse compiz on start up which causes downstream problems.

If you cannot login after an upgrade and you think you might have a ~/.profile file, hit the esc key when the grub option prompt appears during boot. Select a recovery option and when the recovery menu appears, drop into a root prompt (it was the last of the menu selections on my recovery screen).

As root :

cd /home/<your user account>
mv .profile OldDotProfile
shutdown -r now

Hopefully of some help.
Regards, William Pokorny