PDA

View Full Version : Firefox TraceMonkey will be faster than Chrome V8

sharks
September 7th, 2008, 02:52 PM
Mozilla: Firefox is faster than Chrome
http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9114163&intsrc=hm_list

Polygon
September 7th, 2008, 03:09 PM
firefox is just faster at javascript, it could still be slower in other areas.

lukjad
September 7th, 2008, 03:09 PM
Finally some good news. I am fed up of all the people running around saying that Firefox is dead. I use Firefox and always will. I like Google Chrome, but only as an alternative to IE.

Paqman
September 7th, 2008, 03:23 PM
In my experience, Chrome does render pages quicker than Firefox. I haven't noticed much of a speed difference between them for javascript.

Bear in mind, Chrome isn't lumbered down with a lot of stuff like live bookmarks and a ton of extensions.

god0fgod
September 7th, 2008, 03:31 PM
And Safari and Opera beats Firefox. So what?

regomodo
September 7th, 2008, 03:34 PM
#

Swarms
September 7th, 2008, 03:41 PM
It's irrelevant. This is comparing a Firefox that isn't likely to come out for a few months against something that is out now.

Compare Firefox 3.0.1 to chrome.

Exactly this is so stupid. Btw. I don't understand why Firefox doesn't use Webkit? Isn't it opensource and better than Gecko?

Icehuck
September 7th, 2008, 03:47 PM
This test was performed on a Firefox build that isn't available to the public and done by a Firefox developer. FAIL

Polygon
September 7th, 2008, 03:47 PM
maybe because mozilla CREATED gecko? you really think they are just gonna ditch all that work and use webkit? they are going to try their hardest to improve it and make it better then webkit. Competition is good.

Canis familiaris
September 7th, 2008, 03:51 PM
maybe because mozilla created gecko? You really think they are just gonna ditch all that work and use webkit? They are going to try their hardest to improve it and make it better then webkit. Competition is good.

+1

_sAm_
September 7th, 2008, 04:03 PM
The gnome browser(Epiphany) is going from gecko to webkit, and it also has plugins(not as many as FF but still). Perhaps it will be better for us how use gnome in the future.

Canis familiaris
September 7th, 2008, 04:07 PM
What is happening with Webkit is really amazing. The fact that KHTML lasted for a long time ago and had great performance and features, but hardly any following. Suddenly after Apple used KHTML in Safari, and after few controveries (with Apple and KDE), now KHTML as Webkit is coming very strong.

_sAm_
September 7th, 2008, 04:14 PM
Nice to see GPL in action; Apple used and improved KHTML and had to give it back. Now all have it:-D

I tried one javatest on FF and Midori(witch use webkit), and FF was so insane slow compared to Midori. Looking forward to try Epiphany with webkit on next release of Ubuntu.

JohnSearle
September 7th, 2008, 04:36 PM

Not according to this article:

http://www.geekywood.com/2008/09/google-chrome-review-why-i-love-and-hate-google-chrome.html

They have Chrome WAY ahead of Safari... no mention of Opera, however. They also have it way ahead of FF3, but it's the new FF3.1 Alpha 2 that is benchmarking higher than Chrome.

I'm not sure where Opera is in all of this, but I'm guessing they are being blown of the map by these two as well.

- John

billgoldberg
September 7th, 2008, 04:53 PM
What is happening with Webkit is really amazing. The fact that KHTML lasted for a long time ago and had great performance and features, but hardly any following. Suddenly after Apple used KHTML in Safari, and after few controveries (with Apple and KDE), now KHTML as Webkit is coming very strong.

Very strong is a big word.

Safari, Chrome and Konqueror together don't even have half the users Firefox has. Let alone they come close to IE.

Yes Webkit is being adopted by the minor players. That's good.

---

I've tested Chrome for a while. It's an OK browser. It isn't useable for me because it's to feature poor.

Some pages like break.com open much faster with Chrome than with Firefox. While on other sites, Chrome bites the dust.

billgoldberg
September 7th, 2008, 04:56 PM

Opera is a very slow rendering browser for me. Always hes been.

It sometimes takes 5 seconds (!!!!) to open a website that appears in Firefox in .5 seconds.

perlluver
September 7th, 2008, 05:01 PM
Another note on Opera, it will not open GMX mail, or the new yahoo mail. On top of that I like the adblock feature in Firefox.

Canis familiaris
September 7th, 2008, 05:03 PM
Opera is a very slow rendering browser for me. Always hes been.

It sometimes takes 5 seconds (!!!!) to open a website that appears in Firefox in .5 seconds.

Pretty strange. Did you test in one platform or multiple platforms?

billgoldberg
September 7th, 2008, 05:09 PM
Pretty strange. Did you test in one platform or multiple platforms?

On my two computers (both Ubuntu).

Opera sometimes loads in the entire website first before displaying anything. While firefox starts displaying anything when it loads. The latter is much better.

dracule
September 7th, 2008, 05:12 PM
When I did my javascript benchmarks w/ chrome vs fx 3 I got that chrome was just over twice as fast.

Swarms
September 7th, 2008, 05:15 PM

Safari, Chrome and Konqueror together don't even have half the users Firefox has. Let alone they come close to IE.

---

I've tested Chrome for a while. It's an OK browser. It isn't useable for me because it's to feature poor.

Some pages like break.com open much faster with Chrome than with Firefox. While on other sites, Chrome bites the dust.

That is still pretty decent from a web browser in beta stage. ;)

While I love Firefox, I don't use all the plugins, so if Chrome really is faster, I see no reason not to switch.

Btw., if Webkit enables Firefox to become even faster, I see no reason at all not to switch. People stopped using horse carriages as transportation too you know. :P

Canis familiaris
September 7th, 2008, 05:16 PM
/off topic

How does IE7 compare to Opera, Firefox and Chrome in this regard?

mister_pink
September 7th, 2008, 05:16 PM
I really can't understand all this stuff about rendering pages quickly. I have an old computer and a lightning fast internet connection, and I still think that the time it takes to download a page is about the same as it takes to render it. Either way, the total time for any website is still basically instant. I'd much rather see a browser full of features and really stable than one that renders a page in 0.21s rather than 0.24s.

aysiu
September 7th, 2008, 05:31 PM
It's irrelevant. This is comparing a Firefox that isn't likely to come out for a few months against something that is out now.

Compare Firefox 3.0.1 to chrome.
I've retitled the thread accordingly.

zmjjmz
September 7th, 2008, 05:39 PM
Chrome's j/s speed isn't necessarily what makes Chrome awesome.
What makes Chrome awesome is that it's multithreaded.
That's awesome.

vishzilla
September 7th, 2008, 06:03 PM
Firefox cannot adopt Webkit. It will require huge change in the code. Firefox 3 is good. In my view, Google will ask Mozilla to incorporate features of Chrome into Firefox (not webkit). Come on, Google is the big brother to Mozilla ;)

lukjad
September 7th, 2008, 06:07 PM
In war, allies change quickly.

Mr. Picklesworth
September 7th, 2008, 06:42 PM

The big thing here is APIs. On that front, Mozilla has so far performed poorly. Until recently Gecko has been very tightly tied in to Firefox. A developer who just wants to embed a web browser renderer for a quick task does not have a fun time with Gecko.
Case in point, Epiphany until quite recently, which used to throw error messages such as "Firefox cannot open ...", and which has on at least one occasion popped up Firefox's Downloads dialog. While these are often errors on Epiphany's part and seem to have been fixed, such problems should not be possible with a decent, friendly API.

Webkit, on the other hand, has always been built with external use as a UI widget in mind. Webkit alone is the project. As a result, having a good interface for developers is key to its success and so they do a good job. Webkit is being applied across GNOME for web rendering widgets and is used for the same task in KDE. The web renderer used across MacOS is WebKit. A great thing here is how that is not immediately obvious; WebKit does not assume that it is embedded in a full-fledged web browser, so the widget it gives developers is very simple - basically to the same tune as an image widget.

It may not be huge in web browsers at the immediate time, but WebKit is used a lot elsewhere. Because it is important to a bunch of smaller projects instead of just the one behemoth that is Firefox, I think WebKit is being very well supported by the open source community.