PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Where are my "Currently Running" icons?

gunthergloop
September 7th, 2008, 10:31 AM
I updated to 8.04.1 yesterday and one of my first acts was to remove the icon from one of my panels that displayed (something like) network settings.

Unfortunately, I think this may have been part of a 'panel subset' that displays active processes/services or something, because since installing pidgin and amarok, I no longer have icons in my panel that show they are running.

Does this make sense to anyone? I'm not talking about 'launch' icons -I mean the ones that show after they are running.
How can I see these on my main panel?

tangibleorange
September 7th, 2008, 10:33 AM
I updated to 8.04.1 yesterday and one of my first acts was to remove the icon from one of my panels that displayed (something like) network settings.

Unfortunately, I think this may have been part of a 'panel subset' that displays active processes/services or something, because since installing pidgin and amarok, I no longer have icons in my panel that show they are running.

Does this make sense to anyone? I'm not talking about 'launch' icons -I mean the ones that show after they are running.
How can I see these on my main panel?

I think you are referring to the notification area. in GNOME, do this:

Right click on a panel
Select "Add to panel"
find the "notification area" and press add. it should now appear on the panel

In KDE, however, I'm not so sure. it's probably something similar :).

gunthergloop
September 7th, 2008, 12:48 PM
HA!

Yes. That's it. The problem was I didn't know the term "notification area" and it didn't jump out at me even though I was up & down that list a number of times. It should have of course. :-s

Thank you.

-Kevin.