IusedTObeSOMEONEelse
September 7th, 2008, 09:25 AM
Am I actually supposed to believe this?
I think I should
Just thought I would share although not many of us Ladies here

http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/hairband.asp

hellion0
September 7th, 2008, 09:51 AM
There's more of us here than people think, and yeah... that's a scary thought right there.

Giant Speck
September 7th, 2008, 10:18 AM
It's even funnier now that Snopes says it's true.

smoker
September 7th, 2008, 10:26 AM
i'm all for recycling, though maybe some things are a step too far!

KillerSponge
September 7th, 2008, 10:33 AM
Still, their claim that these things will cause STD's are simply not true: STD's can't survive for more than a few minutes/seconds "out in the wild". So they centrainly wouldn't be able to survive the trip from China to anywhere else :)

But still... Gross :(

Canis familiaris
September 7th, 2008, 11:50 AM
Still, their claim that these things will cause STD's are simply not true: STD's can't survive for more than a few minutes/seconds "out in the wild". So they centrainly wouldn't be able to survive the trip from China to anywhere else :)

But still... Gross :(

Can't be sure. This is true about AIDS. But for other STDs not sure.

mister_pink
September 7th, 2008, 12:16 PM
If its just ones which failed quality tests then I dont see any problem with it - its just rubber, only in a funny shape. I highly doubt they can be used ones, mostly because I don't know about anyone else here but I tend to not collect used condoms and send them off for recycling. There's no way they're going to be separating them from household waste.

OffHand
September 7th, 2008, 12:19 PM
HIV can survive for 24 hrs out in the open air. And of course these condoms are not used... they sub standard condoms from the factory.

god0fgod
September 7th, 2008, 12:25 PM
How do you know that?

intense.ego
September 7th, 2008, 12:35 PM
How do you know that?

Read the article.

god0fgod
September 7th, 2008, 12:42 PM
It says some of them are used.

OffHand
September 7th, 2008, 12:44 PM
How do you know that?

I do not remember where I heard or read this. But according to this website (http://www.sfaf.org/aids101/transmission.html#outside) I was wrong.

Air does not "kill" HIV, but exposure to air dries the fluid that contains the virus, and that will destroy or break up much of the virus very quickly. The CDC reports that drying HIV reduces viral amount by 90-99% within several hours.

It should be noted that HIV can survive for several days in the small amount of blood that remains in a needle after use, because the blood is trapped where air cannot dry it out.

OffHand
September 7th, 2008, 12:45 PM
It says some of them are used.

I can't imagine that they go through people's trash to collect used condoms. This wouldn't be very efficient.

jomiolto
September 7th, 2008, 02:41 PM
Am I actually supposed to believe this?
I think I should
Just thought I would share although not many of us Ladies here

http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/hairband.asp

Well, if that's not gross, then I don't know what is. Thankfully I don't think I have any "Made in China" hair bands...

Oh, and by the way, thanks for the "Ladies". While I don't mind being called that (it's rather posh, isn't it? Kind of makes me think about castles and royalty and all that romantic stuff I've read so much about), I think my beard and low voice would kind of dismiss me from that category... and despite that I have plenty of use for hair bands ;)

(Unless your intention was only to warn the Ladies and leave the hair-band-wearing-Gentlemen uninformed -- which wouldn't be very nice, at all ;) )

P.S. Sorry for being mostly off-topic

chucky chuckaluck
September 7th, 2008, 03:45 PM
while these hairbands may be fine on their own, i'm sure one can find even more styling options when used in conjunction with a spermicidal gel.

init1
September 7th, 2008, 04:45 PM
I don't know about anyone else here but I tend to not collect used condoms and send them off for recycling
Really? I do it all the time

Tindytim
September 7th, 2008, 05:18 PM
Well then this is all your fault!!!

BURN HIM/HER/IT/THEM!!!!

myusername
September 7th, 2008, 06:00 PM
while these hairbands may be fine on their own, i'm sure one can find even more styling options when used in conjunction with a spermicidal gel.

rofl

IusedTObeSOMEONEelse
September 7th, 2008, 06:11 PM

Cute.
To the sperm bank?

littlemog
September 7th, 2008, 06:20 PM
interesting post...i showed the photo to my gf who was nearby and she totally went like 'what?!'.... what's next, recycled condoms for... nevermind. :)

Biochem
September 7th, 2008, 10:41 PM
Well I think it's a great idea.

Imagine the scene:

A girl and a boy meet in a bar, at the end of the evening they end up in a cheap motel...

Girl: Do you have any condom on you?

Boy: No :oops:

Girl: Damn me neither! ](*,)

Boy: Well we always could... :-\"

Girl: NO WAIT I'VE GOT A CHINESE HAIRBAND \\:D/

Boy: WHAT ! :shock:

I wonder if we'll start to see chinese haiband dispenser in high-school bathroom.

Woormy
September 8th, 2008, 02:05 AM
I can't imagine that they go through people's trash to collect used condoms. This wouldn't be very efficient.

I'm sure in China everyone has a recycling bin for paper, plastic, newspapers, and condoms at the side of their house.

DrOlaf
September 8th, 2008, 03:41 AM
It would be funnier still if they were using recycled condoms to make those abstinence pledge "true love waits" bracelets....