PDA

View Full Version : I go into Ubuntu withdrawal at work...

aysiu
November 17th, 2005, 03:26 AM
Ubuntu is addictive.

I have to use Windows XP at work, but during lunch I sometimes pop in my Ubuntu live CD, and even the live (with it's ugly brown default theme and no extra programs) makes me feel better than Windows does.

It's comforting to come home to my wife, my cat, and... my Ubuntu.

Other addicts out there?

Qrk
November 17th, 2005, 03:37 AM
I walk an extra ten minutes to use our university's Unix based computer lab. It's still running Solaris 9 with gnome 2.0. Its still nicer than XP. (also no one is ever in there, so its nice and quiet)

quietglow
November 17th, 2005, 03:40 AM
You guys need to switch jobs :-)

I have a p4 box on my desk which serves one purpose: its a "hack box" where I try out anything I might be contemplating doing for real somewhere else. It currently has a build of Breezy on it with the MythTV setup I'm writing a Howto for...speaking of, back to work...

23meg
November 17th, 2005, 03:41 AM
Not exactly Ubuntu but *nix withdrawal, maybe. Whenever I'm going to do something half serious on school machines that will take me longer than ten minutes of work I pop in a Slax (http://www.slax.org) Popcorn Edition (Slackware + XFCE) CD or usb disk.

raublekick
November 17th, 2005, 03:41 AM
i used to get antsy at my last job because i had to use XP.

i too sometimes use the linux lab at school, but they are far inferior machines and i've locked them up tons of times just running firefox. the whole linux setup at school is really half-assed, because like Qrk said, nobody uses them!

uberlinux
November 17th, 2005, 03:44 AM
i used to get antsy at my last job because i had to use XP.

i too sometimes use the linux lab at school, but they are far inferior machines and i've locked them up tons of times just running firefox. the whole linux setup at school is really half-assed, because like Qrk said, nobody uses them!
You should offer to help them redo the lab, with ubuntu+XFCE or something

SectionThree
November 17th, 2005, 03:46 AM
Why not tell your employer(s) about hou Ubuntu could save them assloads of money? That could ease the withdrawals and possibly be cause for a FAT raise!

gapplewagen
November 17th, 2005, 03:53 AM
You guys need to switch jobs :-)

I have a p4 box on my desk which serves one purpose: its a "hack box" where I try out anything I might be contemplating doing for real somewhere else. It currently has a build of Breezy on it with the MythTV setup I'm writing a Howto for...speaking of, back to work...

Agreed. I have a few of these myself. Although most of my time is spent RDP'd into client Windows 2003 Servers. But hey, at least I can use Ubuntu to connect to them. I just make sure to never turn on the fullscreen option :)

Kyral
November 17th, 2005, 03:59 AM
I usually pull an SSH connection to my box when I have to use a Windows machine. People look over at me and marval at my commandline skills!

poofyhairguy
November 17th, 2005, 04:07 AM
Other addicts out there?

I asked for a Linux machine in my school's computer lab.

Kapre
November 17th, 2005, 04:08 AM
I thought I was the only one having this kind of feeling. But since our IT Manager is so strict, I just have my Ubuntu as my wallpaper, which caused some co-workers to turn around and look at my screen again and usually ask "what is that word?" and when I tell them it is linux (my OS at home) then the explanation begins.

K

Kyral
November 17th, 2005, 04:09 AM
Reminds me of Jeff Waugh's comment at Ubuntu Below Zero on the first time they saw the word "Ubuntu"

"How many U's is that?"

az
November 17th, 2005, 04:19 AM
Whenever I have a problem at work where I can only use windows2000, I find myself pressing CRTL-ALT-F1 or trying to switch workspaces out of habit.

aysiu
November 17th, 2005, 04:25 AM
Whenever I have a problem at work where I can only use windows2000, I find myself pressing CRTL-ALT-F1 or trying to switch workspaces out of habit. I try to do Alt-F2, but I end up having to "resort" to Win+R.

Brunellus
November 17th, 2005, 04:40 AM
Guilty. I keep a Breezy Live CD at my desk at work, just in case.

I like to think that if a major windows worm hits the rest of the office, I can simply boot into worm-free Ubuntu. I'll have to test Breezy Live's speed with OpenOffice.

I used to keep a Slax CD at my desk, but I gave it to my ex-gf when her windows box was slammed with spyware. She wouldn't even boot it, the coward.

PatrickMay16
November 17th, 2005, 04:57 AM
Ubuntu is addictive.

I have to use Windows XP at work, but during lunch I sometimes pop in my Ubuntu live CD, and even the live (with it's ugly brown default theme and no extra programs) makes me feel better than Windows does.

It's comforting to come home to my wife, my cat, and... my Ubuntu.

Other addicts out there?
For me, it's kind of the other way round. I like it when I use my dad's computer and see familiar old Windows. Though I prefer Linux these days, it's nice to see Windows since I used it for about 6 years before coming to Linux. It reminds me of good times.

gapplewagen
November 17th, 2005, 05:00 AM
I keep a few copies of the Live CD on me and hand them out to employees of clients who I feel are computer literate enough to know what "booting" means. So far only one (that I know of) is at least dual booting with Ubuntu now. It's a start...

gapplewagen
November 17th, 2005, 05:02 AM
For me, it's kind of the other way round. I like it when I use my dad's computer and see familiar old Windows. Though I prefer Linux these days, it's nice to see Windows since I used it for about 6 years before coming to Linux. It reminds me of good times.

Those times were good for you? :)

PatrickMay16
November 17th, 2005, 05:08 AM
Those times were good for you? :)
Yep, they were. :D
I found Windows 2000 to be great. Too bad that Windows seems to be getting worse with every new release since 2000, though...

Brunellus
November 17th, 2005, 05:09 AM
No way, man. I've taken to Gnome-izing my Windows 2k environment at work: Start menu at the top, GNOME project wallpaper (hell, I don't even do that at home!)....the GIMP (for the odd few times I have to clean up drawings at work), GAIM (for IM). PuTTY for ssh duty.

gapplewagen
November 17th, 2005, 05:18 AM
The only thing that kept my Windows time sane was Cygwin. At least I felt at home in the command prompt.

Before Ubuntu I hadn't ran Linux on a desktop since Debian 3.0 (Woody) when it first came out (which if memory recalls was sometime in 2002?).

Brunellus
November 17th, 2005, 05:24 AM
The only thing that kept my Windows time sane was Cygwin. At least I felt at home in the command prompt.

Before Ubuntu I hadn't ran Linux on a desktop since Debian 3.0 (Woody) when it first came out (which if memory recalls was sometime in 2002?).
The IT guys at work would *definitely* notice me installing cygwin on my computer....and it wouldn't make them very happy.