PDA

View Full Version : Topics you'd like to see discussed, or written about.

littletinman
September 7th, 2008, 04:01 AM
I'm working on a blog, and have a couple posts on severl different topics. These are my posted on topics so far:

Why Ubuntu? (this post is about why I choose to use Ubuntu over other OS's)

Getting Started (I posted a bunch of useful links that i use all the time)

The Dreaded Terminal (A post explaining the purpose and uses of ther Terminal)

Review of Urban Terror (I wrote a full review on my favourite FPS game that is native to Linux)

I need more topic Ideas. What things about linux do you want to have explained, or wish were explained earlier in your linux journey? What apps do you want to know more about? All Ideas are welcome. I also am using these posts for a Portfolio class, and need one more paper to complete my portfolio. I just want something solid, and something that other people, will WANT to read.

Thanks,

The Little Tin Man

P.S. My blog is limitlesslinux.blogspot.com

pt123
September 7th, 2008, 04:04 AM
The fall of non-Mono based apps.

littletinman
September 7th, 2008, 04:08 AM
Honestly, seeing that the computer world seems to be endless, i've not heard much about Mono-apps. Can you send me a link to where i could find out more info? Why are they failing?

littletinman
September 7th, 2008, 11:38 AM
Bump.

lukjad
September 7th, 2008, 11:48 AM
I was thinking that I would like to read an article called:
"The overuse of BUMPing and the punishments to be exacted on SDBs (Same Day BUMPers)"
:smile:

littletinman
September 7th, 2008, 12:03 PM
LOLOLOLOLOL!!!!! chuckle. Ok, point taken. I will now refrain permanantely from ever using that term.

TLTM

lukjad
September 7th, 2008, 01:30 PM
There is a BUMP thread for BUMPaholics.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=520091

As for writing, how about a comparison between the attitudes of Windows fans and Linux fans (to use the politically correct terms)?

P.S.
BUMPing after about 24h is OK. ;)

littletinman
September 7th, 2008, 07:13 PM
Hmm, while talking about views is a good idea, I'm looking for more of an explination of soemthing about Ubuntu.

lukjad
September 7th, 2008, 07:23 PM
Here is the new blog. Please feel free to stop bye and give sugjestions on the new template, and on topics you would like to see covered. ALL comments welcome.
In this case, bye should be "by".

littletinman
September 7th, 2008, 07:31 PM
Good catch. Thanks for that.

billgoldberg
September 7th, 2008, 07:33 PM
Browse trough my blog, every thing about Ubuntu has been brought up there.

I'm sure you'll find some ideas on what to write there.

link in signature

littletinman
September 7th, 2008, 10:52 PM
Oh cmon, gosh, your suggestions have been great, i'm just looking for topics. I'm thinking of doing a compare and contrast of the two most popular media players, Banshee and Rhythmbox. That kind of thing.

lukjad
September 7th, 2008, 10:54 PM
How about a comparison between OpenOffice and Abiword?

littletinman
September 7th, 2008, 11:19 PM
you're on the right track, except that it would be a illogical comparison. Abiword is only a word Processor. OpenOffice is a full office suite. But your on the right track.

Lostincyberspace
September 7th, 2008, 11:22 PM
Oh cmon, gosh, your suggestions have been great, i'm just looking for topics. I'm thinking of doing a compare and contrast of the two most popular media players, Banshee and Rhythmbox. That kind of thing.

You have got to be kidding me neither of those are as popular as Amarok.

http://Amarok.kde.org

Major releases actually make it to slashdot.org while the others have never seen the light of day, there.

lukjad
September 7th, 2008, 11:22 PM
Then how about OpenOffice Word Processor and Abiword? Or OpenOffice and Microsoft Office? Or a three way comparison beteen OpenOffice Word Processor, Abiword and Microsoft Word?

littletinman
September 7th, 2008, 11:37 PM
Lostincyberspace, you have got it man. Good, so what I need are the two most popular media players to compare. Amarak, and what else?

littletinman
September 7th, 2008, 11:39 PM
I personally think banshee is the best. Much more graphically pleasing, and supports video.

littletinman
September 8th, 2008, 09:26 PM
Well, I guess people aren't wanting to submit any really solid ideas. I like the idea about comparing Microsoft Office to Open Office. Any other topics?

lukjad
September 8th, 2008, 10:22 PM
The ease of installation and quality of game play in cross platform games?

littletinman
September 9th, 2008, 02:51 AM
I sorta did that here with my review of Urban Terror. If you have the time, please read it and send me your feed back.

http://limitlesslinux.blogspot.com/2008/09/review-of-urban-terror.html

lukjad
September 9th, 2008, 11:22 AM
How about the compairing Ubuntuforums with either other forums about Ubuntu, other forums about Linux, or just other techforums (e.g. Windows or Mac forums).

lukjad
September 9th, 2008, 11:26 AM
I am not much into first person shooters. :) Your prose was fairly clear and your paragraphs were about the right length. Good job.

littletinman
September 9th, 2008, 01:17 PM
Good idea, i like that. Comparing the forums of Ubuntu to the forums of windows and Mac. Good one. Nice, i'll put that on my list of comparisons.

Sporkman
September 9th, 2008, 07:17 PM
Topics to write about:

- Reviews of various apps in the repositories.
- Simple how-tos for various scenarios
- Ubuntu & Linux in the news, trends, business topics relating to linux, etc
- Goings-on within the Ubuntu, Debian, other Linux organizations
- Overviews of business/economic issues related to Linux & FOSS in general
- Ways to "trick out" Ubuntu
- Write-ups of unusual ways others have deployed ubuntu (say on embedded devices, etc)...