PDA

View Full Version : Project Looking Glass

paulby
November 17th, 2005, 01:45 AM
Hi,

I am one of the project leads for Project Looking Glass (http://lg3d.dev.java.net). This is a research project working on a new desktop that uses the 3D chipsets available in most desktop machines to explore new possibilities in UI design.

I'd like to create .deb packages for Ubuntu of this project and all it's dependencies to make the project more accessible to Ubuntu users. Which is the correct forum to discuss issues such as where various parts of the system should be installed ?

Thanks

Paul

TravisNewman
November 17th, 2005, 01:48 AM
you may want to go into #ubuntu or the development mailing lists to ask this. That's where the developers hang out most :)

I'd love .deb packages for looking glass. I've played with it some. Yowser!

MetalMusicAddict
November 17th, 2005, 02:14 AM
Wow. That would be awesome to play with. ;) I kinda thought it was dead.

poofyhairguy
November 17th, 2005, 04:00 AM
Welcome and WOW. I like looking glass a lot. I have played with it much and I would love to try it on my Ubuntu box without the hassle of a live CDs. I would get in touch with the MOTUs:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MOTU

As they can help you the most.

Thanks in advance.

lotusleaf
November 17th, 2005, 05:08 AM
Welcome to the Ubuntu Forums, paulby.

I've followed the news regarding Project Looking Glass since the initial announcement and look forward to easy to use .debs for Ubuntu.

rwabel
November 17th, 2005, 10:07 PM
would be great to have a deb file!

Stormy Eyes
November 17th, 2005, 10:14 PM
I'd like to create .deb packages for Ubuntu of this project and all it's dependencies to make the project more accessible to Ubuntu users. Which is the correct forum to discuss issues such as where various parts of the system should be installed ?

I'd like to try them. I've tried LiveCDs with PLG, but running Linux off a CD can be awfully slow. Is there any chance of the debs including customization manuals so I can change the menu and fiddle with the color scheme?

paulby
November 18th, 2005, 11:46 PM
The color scheme etc is controlled in the source code at the moment. It's something that should be user configurable eventually (and actually would be easy to implement) but it's low on our priority list at the moment.

The menu's will be configurable, by hand editing some xml files in the short term.

Stormy Eyes
November 19th, 2005, 01:50 AM
The color scheme etc is controlled in the source code at the moment. It's something that should be user configurable eventually (and actually would be easy to implement) but it's low on our priority list at the moment.

Fair enough. I can wait.

The menu's will be configurable, by hand editing some xml files in the short term.

Hand-editing XML files? No problem. I use Openbox, after all, and most of its config files are XML. :)

benplaut
November 19th, 2005, 02:57 AM
debs would be awesome... Lookin' Glass looks amazing, but really hard to install

jkruer01
February 26th, 2006, 02:24 PM
any deb file yet?

nalmeth
February 26th, 2006, 05:18 PM
I believe you can get .deb files (for ubuntu) if you're registered with sun on their site. They stress that this shouldn't be announced to the public yet, but are available to try. I figured since someone involved started this thread, I would pass it on.

jkruer01
February 26th, 2006, 05:32 PM
I'm registered, but I couldn't find it on the site. Do you have a link?

jkruer01
February 26th, 2006, 05:33 PM
oh, nevermind.

nalmeth
February 26th, 2006, 06:27 PM
jkruer01

are you going to install PLG with the .debs? If so, please post whats its like setting up for ubuntu. I don't know whether or not you can just log in via GDM. Perhaps it has to be run from an already running WM? Please let us know, same goes for anyone else who tries. I may do it later tonight..

jkruer01
February 26th, 2006, 09:35 PM
jkruer01

are you going to install PLG with the .debs? If so, please post whats its like setting up for ubuntu. I don't know whether or not you can just log in via GDM. Perhaps it has to be run from an already running WM? Please let us know, same goes for anyone else who tries. I may do it later tonight..

The installer adds an entry to GDM by default. However, since I use Kubuntu, it errors out. I assume I can add an entry to KDM, but I haven't done it yet. You can also launch it from within an existing session of Gnome, KDE, etc.

I can't get it to do anything though. It opens, but I can't launch any programs etc.