PDA

View Full Version : How do i make my girlfriend become like us.

Sycron
September 6th, 2008, 10:46 PM
One of my best girlfriends want to became a hacker , heh, knowing to make things that others can't... :)

She can't believe can become one, so i have to help her. I don't want to brute her, but how showld i start introducing her to opensource?

Today I told her if she wants to join my comunity based on volunteers that help each other, worldwide... I didn't tell her is about ubuntuforums,org , i don't want to preach or have intentions that i'm a linux stupid fanboy.

Thanks.

god0fgod
September 6th, 2008, 10:49 PM
So you have more than one girlfriend and at least one of them is actually a man? lol

Prove everything to her. Show her ubuntu or whatever and how it is good.

Sycron
September 6th, 2008, 10:51 PM
So you have more than one girlfriend and at least one of them is actually a man? lol

Pretty LOL ... :))) Thank you, i've found the mistakes.

Kernel Sanders
September 6th, 2008, 11:00 PM

:lol:

Irihapeti
September 6th, 2008, 11:04 PM
What about introducing her to open source software for Windows?

That's how I started my journey to Ubuntu: my son told me about Firefox, the Gimp and OpenOffice for Windows. It was a natural progression from there to other things.

Sycron
September 6th, 2008, 11:38 PM
She really wants that, and I think I made the first step: introducing her to ubuntuforums with the reason to see more details how i've saved a cat.

And let's guess, she's REALLY enjoyng the forum staff right now. :D

pp.
September 7th, 2008, 08:50 AM
You'd certainly not want your girlfriend to become like me.

karellen
September 7th, 2008, 08:55 AM
first install a Linux distro on her pc, she'll dual boot and thus have to opportunity to compare both OS and philosophies behind them

Ripfox
September 7th, 2008, 09:03 AM
If you want her to become like me feed her 25 years worth of greasy cheeseburgers and make sure she drinks lots of beer.

Giant Speck
September 7th, 2008, 09:06 AM

That's how I started my journey to Ubuntu: my son told me about Firefox, the Gimp and OpenOffice for Windows. It was a natural progression from there to other things.

I agree with this one wholeheartedly.

It will introduce the concept of Open Source on a platform that is already familiar with her.

And when she's ready, and willing, of course, you can introduce her to different distributions of Linux.

Sand & Mercury
September 7th, 2008, 11:35 AM
Offer to tell more if she wants to know, if she asks for anything, help her out. Don't preach! It scares people away. :P

zmjjmz
September 7th, 2008, 01:36 PM
Assimilate her into Borg.
Tell her that resistance is futile.

jimi_hendrix
September 7th, 2008, 01:59 PM

the flow of the thread might have changed because i didnt read past page one but i can think of 3 ways

1. do what irihapeti said and tell her about firefox and gimp and stuff

2. have her dual boot ubuntu/any other distro and she can use open source when she wants and windows when she wants

<joke> 3. forcefully reformat her C drive and install linux </joke>

jimi_hendrix
September 7th, 2008, 02:00 PM
assimilate her into borg.
Tell her that resistance is futile.

rofl

ratmandall
September 7th, 2008, 02:03 PM
Tell her to make you a sandwich
and if she refuses tell her to

sudo make me a sandwich

lowstand
September 7th, 2008, 02:12 PM
I've been married for over 16 yrs , my wife used to get online on yahoo i do beleave she started to enjoy it but whe nshe started get into other people an talking an having an ok time we found out she has a stalker an she now hates to even have her photo online not much i can do an i have tried to get her online again but she don't want to have to go downtown again an have any more restraining put out lol this happened to her about 1998 it really freaked her out about computers all over a perv who loved her voice but on a lighter side i have gotten other female friends online an they enjoy it an just deal with the pervs lol

medfojo
September 7th, 2008, 02:19 PM
What do you mean by hacker? Do you mean a software developer with a malicious intent? Maybe you have a different definition of "hacker" but I don't think being a hacker is a positive thing.

If you want her to become a software developer then ubuntuforums is not going to help much.

I would start here: http://www.amazon.com/Introduction-Algorithms-Thomas-H-Cormen/dp/0262032937/ref=pd_sim_b_1

kirsis
September 7th, 2008, 02:35 PM
What do you mean by hacker? Do you mean a software developer with a malicious intent?

That's a meaning the media keeps perpetuating, yes. It's not the original meaning of the word and not one used in FOSS communities, however.

In FOSS country a hacker is a programmer. A kernel hacker contributes to the kernel, a GNOME hacker contributes to (a) GNOME component(s), etc.

Sycron
September 7th, 2008, 02:43 PM
Hacker is not a bad word everytime. :) You can think that hackers destroyed microsoft.co.uk (which is still for me a good point) but in the same time you can think that hackers created linux, just because they want freedom.

A hacker is, in my opinion a person who can do everything that he/she wants fast,easy. Hacker could be a sentiment, once you discovered it you'll never forget it. It will everytime make you feel busy, you always have to learn.. :)

No matter if a hacker does bad/good things, i'm sure that everytime they have good reasons when they're doing that.

If we like freedom, open-source we always have good friendship, relations. Microsoft will NEVER achieve that.

rune0077
September 7th, 2008, 02:54 PM
What do you mean by hacker? Do you mean a software developer with a malicious intent? Maybe you have a different definition of "hacker" but I don't think being a hacker is a positive thing.

From http://www.google.dk/search?hl=da&client=firefox-a&rls=com.ubuntu:en-US:unofficial&hs=opK&defl=en&q=define:Hacker&sa=X&oi=glossary_definition&ct=title

The term used to refer to someone skilled in the use of computer systems, especially if that skill was obtained in an exploratory way.

Originally used to describe a computer enthusiast who pushed a system to its highest performance through clever programming.

The dictionary defines "hacker" as a slang term describing a person who carries out or manages something successful. A hacker is someone who spends many hours with the computer often successfully operating it by trial and error without first referring to the manual.

Okar
September 7th, 2008, 02:57 PM
if she is new to FOSS I would at first ask her how she defines the word hacker ;)

Prefix100
September 7th, 2008, 03:00 PM
Hacker != Open Source

Martje_001
September 7th, 2008, 03:06 PM
She really want's that, and I think I made the first step. Introducing her to ubuntuforums with the reason to see more details how i've saved a cat.
No offense. But if you use 's it means is. So what you're ('re = are) saying here is:

She really want is that

see? I hope this helped with improving your English (I saw your signature) ;)

Sycron
September 7th, 2008, 03:42 PM
No offense. But if you use 's it means is. So what you're ('re = are) saying here is:

She really want is that

see? I hope this helped with improving your English (I saw your signature) ;)

Thanks! ;)

She want to be like us, I mean she want to know to code some simple programs, to help people on ubuntuforums.org .. etc :P

medfojo
September 7th, 2008, 04:22 PM
I don't think you should "make" her do anything. Let her do what she wants.

Sycron
September 7th, 2008, 04:32 PM
I don't think you should "make" her do anything. Let her do what she wants.

:) nah... she wants to help her.

Tindytim
September 7th, 2008, 05:17 PM
Where it the correlation between hacking and using open source software?

Sycron
September 7th, 2008, 05:22 PM
:) doesn't matter. I sayd the answer at your question 1-2 pages ago.

She does what she wants, I'm just giving her advices...

Tindytim
September 7th, 2008, 05:37 PM
:) doesn't matter. I sayd the answer at your question 1-2 pages ago.

She does what she wants, I just have to give her advice...

I hope you don't mind me critiquing your English.

Sycron
September 7th, 2008, 05:39 PM
I hope you don't mind me critiquing your English.

No, thank you.

billgoldberg
September 7th, 2008, 06:01 PM
One of my best girlfriends want to became a hacker , heh, knowing to make things that others can't... :)

She can't believe can become one, so i have to help her. I don't want to brute her, but how showld i start introducing her to opensource?

Today I told her if she wants to join my comunity based on volunteers that help each other, worldwide... I didn't tell her is about ubuntuforums,org , i don't want to preach or have intentions that i'm a linux stupid fanboy.

Thanks.

Back up her files, remove Windows.

Install minimal Ubuntu version (cli only).

Give her a list with terminal commands and the names of some applications.

Let her work it out.

Sycron
September 7th, 2008, 06:18 PM
Back up her files, remove Windows.

Install minimal Ubuntu version (cli only).

Give her a list with terminal commands and the names of some applications.

Let her work it out.

Good point! The bad part is that she is 300km far away from me.

egalvan
September 7th, 2008, 06:21 PM

Yes, most of here have the old, POSITIVE definition of hacker,

ONE WHO TAKES THINGS APART AND PUTS THEM BACK TOGETHER TO SEE HOW THEY WORK.

A true hacker takes nothing but memories, and doesn't even leave footprints.

more or less...

A cracker breaks things to see people get mad, **** line his pockets.

more or less...

Until Hollywood and the media distorted it all.

Bruce M.
September 7th, 2008, 08:28 PM
Yes, most of here have the old, POSITIVE definition of hacker,

ONE WHO TAKES THINGS APART AND PUTS THEM BACK TOGETHER TO SEE HOW THEY WORK.

A true hacker takes nothing but memories, and doesn't even leave footprints.

more or less...

A cracker breaks things to see people get mad, **** line his pockets.

more or less...

Until Hollywood and the media distorted it all.

Well said, I agree that it was Hollywood and the media that changed the meaning of hacker.

I agree with many here: introduce her to open source and duel-booting

Have a nice day.

Sycron
September 8th, 2008, 10:08 AM
I'm going to start by presenting her the open-source, and telling to replace Microsft Office with OpenOffice, Yahoo Messenger with Pidgin, Winrar with 7z ... etc ... :)

And she have to stop downloading illegal content... :| like crack etc. We don't want Joe'y over here.

Bruce M.
September 8th, 2008, 01:29 PM
I'm going to start by presenting her the open-source, and telling to replace Microsft Office with OpenOffice, Yahoo Messenger with Pidgin, Winrar with 7z ... etc ... :)

And she have to stop downloading illegal content... :| like crack etc. We don't want Joe'y over here.

Explain that most of the stuff she needs "cracks" for are probably free with Linux. Unless it's games, then there is a problem.

We don't want Joey over here.
You lost me, who is Joey?

Sycron
September 8th, 2008, 01:55 PM
We don't want Joey over here.
You lost me, who is Joey?

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=909452

Bruce M.
September 8th, 2008, 06:37 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=909452

Oh, "that" Joey. He lives everywhere in the world. So now I have a better understanding of what you are saying.

OK, have you sent your friend a "Live CD" and explained that she can "try it before installing it"?

Make sure you tell her it can be installed "with" Win XP (duel boot), and then invite her to look at (for a start):

August 2008 Desktop Screenshot Thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=875964)
Eyecandy for GNOME (http://gnome-look.org/)
Linux software equivalent to Windows software (http://wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/Linux_software_equivalent_to_Windows_software)

And another thing, if she uses Google - all their computer use Linux. Yea, surprised me too!

Have a nice day.
Bruce

Sycron
September 8th, 2008, 07:12 PM
One year ago she downloaded 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon and tried the livecd... I don't know if she liked or no but she just thanked me. Today he's using Windows but i'll try to make her forget about all those crackish things.