PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ugrading from Ubuntu 5.10

robopod1
September 6th, 2008, 03:51 PM
I was wondering if I could update from 5.10 to the current version of Ubuntu and how I would go about doing that. Should I back up my data first?
Thanks!
--Robopod1

edm1
September 6th, 2008, 04:06 PM
I would highly recommend a fresh install of Ubuntu 8.04 since there has been a lot of change in the last 3 years. Back-up your data and start afresh.

robopod1
September 6th, 2008, 10:25 PM
I'm having trouble backing up my data onto DVDs. I transfer all the files onto the DVD creator, and then I get an error saying that the file image can't be created. Any suggestions?

kostkon
September 6th, 2008, 10:49 PM
I was wondering if I could update from 5.10 to the current version of Ubuntu and how I would go about doing that. Should I back up my data first?
Thanks!
--Robopod1
You could upgrade to 6.06 and then directly to 8.04 (going from 6.06 to 8.04 is allowed since both of these versions are LTS), but I believe it would be much better and easier to just do a fresh install of 8.04.

But before doing anything, of course, backup everything.

I'm having trouble backing up my data onto DVDs. I transfer all the files onto the DVD creator, and then I get an error saying that the file image can't be created. Any suggestions?
Do you have space in your hard disk? Also, make you sure that you are not trying to burn more that ~4.5GB of data because it will not fit in the DVD.