PDA

View Full Version : Vista vs Linux - has the penguin got the power?

Sealbhach
September 6th, 2008, 03:45 PM
An article in the Independent newspaper in the UK.

So much has been omitted from this article, the security issues, the hardware vendors unwilling to work with Linux...

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/features/vista-vs-linux--has-the-penguin-got-the-power-920216.html

I wonder about tech journalists sometimes, they seem really ill-informed.

Canis familiaris
September 6th, 2008, 03:51 PM
This article seems one of the least biased articles I have seen and I was honestly surprised that the reviewer gave Vista and SuSE equal amount of points in Multimedia which IMO is not exactly the strongest point of Linux ditros.
Though I think the reviewer should have been more comprehensive.

fatality_uk
September 6th, 2008, 03:54 PM
Yeah but an average users doesn't CARE that hardware vendors don't want to wotk with the wider Linux community, they just want stuff to work. Just becuase he is a tech journo, doesn't mean he is more knowledgable than the average user. It just means he writes about technology.

Babbage
September 6th, 2008, 05:59 PM
In fact it's a very positive article. Think about it this journalist is effectively saying that free software is just as good as the latest MS multi-million dollar operating system Vista. I'd say Linux is better but overall the article says a lot about the value and worth of Vista.

jeyaganesh
September 6th, 2008, 06:15 PM
Good article.

R_T_H
September 6th, 2008, 07:08 PM
In fact it's a very positive article. Think about it this journalist is effectively saying that free software is just as good as the latest MS multi-million dollar operating system Vista. I'd say Linux is better but overall the article says a lot about the value and worth of Vista.

Definitely

zmjjmz
September 6th, 2008, 08:58 PM
Actually this isn't bad.
You see, where every other journalist in this situation thinks you need to use the terminal to install apps, this guy actually found the GUI manager, which was probably staring him in the face.

beercz
September 6th, 2008, 10:01 PM
What the journalist omitted, in my opinion, the security/privacy features of both operating systems, such as the need for antivirus/antispyware software in Vista for example.

A comparison of reliability and stability of both systems would have also been nice. It is very frustrating when one is in the middle of something and the system freezes.

Otherwise a good and fair article.

Out of curiosity, I wonder what the journalist would have written if he was comparing Ubuntu with Vista.

Bliepo32
September 6th, 2008, 10:16 PM
At least he actually tried to compare them. Most of them have either never heard of Linux, or thing it is someting like DOS. And of course, comparing Windows with Linux is not that easy. There are so many things you have to take into consideration if you want to make a good comparison. I think he did a reasonable job.