PDA

View Full Version : Do I Have To Reinstall Ubuntu To Get The Newest Vesion?

mikeMarek
September 6th, 2008, 03:37 AM
I am in long anticipation for the next release of Ubuntu. But I just got my laptop set up just the way I want it to be, and am wondering if I have to completely reinstall Ubuntu to get all the features in the next version.

Cheers,
-Mike

LaRoza
September 6th, 2008, 03:40 AM
I am in long anticipation for the next release of Ubuntu. But I just got my laptop set up just the way I want it to be, and am wondering if I have to completely reinstall Ubuntu to get all the features in the next version.

Cheers,
-Mike
No, you can do an upgrade over the network. You'll get notified about it and you can choose to do it.

Doing upgrades anywhere runs the risk of things breaking. In my experience, if your hardware worked with no tweaking at all, everything will likely work after the upgrade.

If you do think a clean install is the best, you can backup your home folder and put it in the fresh install. It will use all your personal settings (including browser, themes, IM, all apps settings, and personal configurations)

Slug71
September 6th, 2008, 03:50 AM
Type this code in the terminal

update-manager -d

That will get you Intrepid Ibex Alpha 5.

LaRoza
September 6th, 2008, 03:52 AM
That will get you Intrepid Ibex Alpha 5.

Don't do it unless you really, really want it though...

Wait until it is released before considering upgrading a running system.

solitaire
September 6th, 2008, 03:53 AM
In my experience:

If the machine is less than 3 years old their should be no problem with letting the Software Update Upgrading you to the latest version..

If it's older it just takes the few precautions LaRoza noted in her post. :D

zmjjmz
September 6th, 2008, 04:34 AM
If it's older you should just use a lighter weight form of Ubuntu.
If you install xubuntu-desktop and make it your default, it'll upgrade that too.

AlphaMack
September 6th, 2008, 05:38 AM
I prefer clean installs, but then again I have a home partition and can be easily up and running within 2 hours after an install with all of my apps and tweaks in place.

Advantage: No cruft in your / and less risk of things going wrong.

FuturePilot
September 6th, 2008, 06:14 AM
I've upgraded many machines over the years. Nothing has ever broken.