PDA

View Full Version : What Linux goodies do you recommend?

BarfBag
September 6th, 2008, 01:51 AM
My little brother just got a Dell Ubuntu laptop and it's pretty barebones right now. I wanna load it with goodies. This kid is 13, so it can't be too complex. Any suggestions?

voteforpedro36
September 6th, 2008, 02:54 AM
My little brother just got a Dell Ubuntu laptop and it's pretty barebones right now.

No it's not.

doas777
September 6th, 2008, 03:03 AM
you could install a game emu or 3. visualboyadvance is in the repos (you can find roms out there somewhere), or epsxe for psp. they have them for most older game consoles.

wine will probably be worthwhile, just so he can use some windows apps and games.

Stellarium is really kewl. it's google earth for the sky.

voteforpedro36 has a good point though. most of the things you need are already there. many have accused ubuntu of being a bit bloated. this is partly because of dependencies in the ubuntu-desktop package, but I digress.

perlluver
September 6th, 2008, 03:05 AM
He might like banshee for Music, or Amarok. Maybe some games from add/remove, like gweled, and patience.

ad_267
September 6th, 2008, 04:10 AM
Inkscape. Although that's just what I always install, he might not find it that useful. Google Earth is fun and Celestia for exploring space. Glest or Wormux for games.

Lord Xeb
September 6th, 2008, 04:38 AM
Maybe Compiz Fusion for coolness :D and AWN

zmjjmz
September 6th, 2008, 04:42 AM
Mupen64+ and some N64 ROMS, Stella and some Atari 2600 ROMS, gl-117, BZFlag, Airstrike, X-Moto, Armagetron Advanced, enemylines3, Gridwars 2, ManiaDrive, and Trigger. Those a re a bunch of good games that you'd probably find on getdeb.net
Songbird .7 is nice too, WINE is a must, maybe install bsdgames so he can have some old fashioned fun, Streamtuner is good, Celestia is awesome.

powerpleb
September 6th, 2008, 04:58 AM
DOSBox then hit the abandonware sites for classic games.
OpenTyrian is another nice game.

zmjjmz
September 6th, 2008, 05:01 AM
MAME is also cool.

BarfBag
September 6th, 2008, 06:12 PM
I'd like to thank you guys for your recommendations. Here's a list of what I have so far:

Firefox
Pidgin
OpenOffice
Yadex (Need help with this - see http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=912185)
Urban Terror
Battle for Wesnoth
Skulltag
Steam
BZFlag
Freeciv
Tux Racer
OpenTyran
Super Tux
GL-117
Mania Drive
Grid Wars 2
X-Moto
Inkscape
VLC
GNOME Baker

I'd like to take it farther than this, though. I'm soon going to add some emulators. I'm in need of some more creative software, though. Any suggestions in that realm?

Prefix100
September 6th, 2008, 06:16 PM
Banshee, Gnome-Do and get him some sick themes.

Edit: Dropbox, I'll send you an invite if your interested.

ad_267
September 6th, 2008, 11:23 PM
Maybe Kino and ffmpeg for for video editing (ffmpeg is needed for kino to be able to import videos).