PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu VS. Mac OS X

Matthewthegreat
September 6th, 2008, 01:45 AM
I see a lot of comparisons to windows but I don't see many Ubuntu VS. Mac OS X comparisons. Of coarse Mac OS X cost money (and a lot of it) so is Mac OS X better then Ubuntu? If so, is it worth the price difference?

BarfBag
September 6th, 2008, 01:47 AM
There is really nothing you can do in a Mac environment that you can't do in a GNU/Linux environment.

jimi_hendrix
September 6th, 2008, 02:02 AM
i personally LOATH mac...(this is not OS related but i mean one mouse button?) and i find it less logically made then linux or windows and it is my least favorite os

danbuter
September 6th, 2008, 02:05 AM
Apple is MUCH worse then Microsoft when it comes to proprietary software. And they are very overpriced. And as BarfBag said, I can do anything on Ubuntu that I could do on a Mac.

Skorzen
September 6th, 2008, 02:11 AM
Apple is MUCH worse then Microsoft when it comes to proprietary software. And they are very overpriced.

Agreed. I hate Apple.

doas777
September 6th, 2008, 02:19 AM
ok, I voted 'other' but mainly because I felt like it should have been multi select.

ok, number 1, ubuntu is the one i will use. I will not buy a mac. probably never. I've used them, though never enough to really get used to them.

Mac really does 'just work', in a way that most competitors just can't. that means a lot. if you want hands-off 'just works', then mac is for you.

Ubuntu has a thriving ecosystem. it's very inclusive, and theres an app for everything.

Mac has a stagnant pond of overpriced, vendor-direct, crippled hardware and software that is so locked in it makes Microsoft look almost altruistic by comparison.

by working with Ubuntu, i gain valuable experience and understanding of the backend of computer science. Since i started seriously using linux (mostly ubuntu), I feel that many of the gaps in my understanding are filling in, while at the same time, new worlds are opening before me.

mac would teach me how to use a mac. yes it has BSD underneath, but it's really not the same.

which would I feel comfortable setting my Grandmother in front of? either.

Cheers,
Franklin

NoSmokingBandit
September 6th, 2008, 02:22 AM
OSX > Ubuntu, imo, but if you are talking about hardware then apple fails against every OS ever. I voted Mac is better but the price kills it.

hanzomon4
Mac OS X...

It beats the pants off of Ubuntu for one reason. OS X always works the way it was designed for the vast majority of it's users. Ubuntu working perfectly is equal to OS X, but many users like myself have a few nagging and/or killer issues. My laptop won't suspend so I can't use Ubuntu as much as I'd like.

Looks, apps, power.... Equal or can be made equal(looks, and I don't mean osx themes). If I could get my machine to suspend I would choose "other". For those with perfectly working setups I'm sure Ubuntu is equal or better... IYO

Posted from Ubuntu on a Macbook pro

Okar
yeah apple products are really overpriced. I actually can't unterstand why so many people are willing to buy apple products, is it the looks? because it seems like apple puts the most efford in making their products look good.
furthermore I find it rather stupid to restrict a OS to a platform.(yeah it's part of apples politics...)
which is a thing I really like concerning linux, being able to run it on so many platforms, e.g. having a linux on your router and being able initiate a ssh session is totally cool XD

at least apple seems to be somehow innovative in terms of usability.
hence as I am not wiling to buy a overpriced apple product I will not use OSX productively in the near future.

orpheus07
September 6th, 2008, 02:25 AM
i agree with almost everyone here :) Mac OS is just too expensive for my taste...

cardinals_fan
September 6th, 2008, 02:30 AM
I can think of few OSs worse for my needs than OS X...

DoubleClicker
September 6th, 2008, 02:55 AM
i personally LOATH mac...(this is not OS related but i mean one mouse button?) and i find it less logically made then linux or windows and it is my least favorite os

Actually the mouse you get with a mac has 4 buttons, and OS X has always supported multi button mice. However the original mac one button mouse was the result of extensive usability testing.

I happen to be friends with Bill Atkinson, who designed most of the original mac interface, and he tells me about spme of the things that they tested before coming up with the mac interface as we know it. the first tests were with 3 button mice, and only later did they determine that one button mice provided superior usability. likewise originally they used menubars attached to windows, before determining that a menubar at the top of the screen was more usable. So I'm always amazed that so many people complain about how unusable they think the mac user interface is, just because it is different from windows based interfaces that they are accustomed to.

Skorzen
September 6th, 2008, 02:56 AM
GNU/Linux is better than anything, for me.

luckyuser
September 6th, 2008, 03:03 AM
I've used Mac quite often, and the configurability of Ubunutu is hard to beat. It can also be installed on a wider range of computers. It really ultimately depends on people's needs and wants though.

Prefix100
September 6th, 2008, 03:05 AM
I voted other.

As a complete OS for the average user I have to say I think Macs are better, but for me, Ubuntu, without a second thought.

JetskiDude911
September 6th, 2008, 03:09 AM
I agree that you can do everything in Ubuntu that you can do in OS X, but I still prefer OS X over Ubuntu or any flavor of Linux.

With that said, if work didn't provide me with a Mac computer, I'd probably be using Ubuntu as my main OS.

david_lynch
September 6th, 2008, 03:36 AM
It all depends on what you want. Some people really like the OSX look and feel.

I had a macbook pro, and it was nice, but I ended up selling it because I always preferred using my ubuntu laptop. The only advantage to mac is in some commercial software availability, but all things being equal, I prefer linux.

wersdaluv
September 6th, 2008, 04:14 AM
If you don't have money but you have the resources to learn how to use Ubuntu, Ubuntu is for you.

If you have the money but not the resources to learn how to use Ubuntu, Macs are for you.

If you have the money and the resources to learn how to use Ubuntu, it is up to you.

If you don't have the money and the resources to learn how to use Ubuntu, uhm... Windows? hehe

Daishiman
September 6th, 2008, 04:30 AM
I have no time to learn about a stagnant, proprietary and privative operating system like OS X. It's interesting to know about it from a geek's standpoint, but you can't do real, serious computing with OSX, and in my academic environment there's no money or resources to throw around for systems that provide no additional value.

Ubuntu works great on my systems, and it's far more powerful for research and academic work. There's just no point of comparison from that standpoint.

zmjjmz
September 6th, 2008, 04:51 AM
Mac OS X is great if you buy an Apple computer.
Running it on non-Apple branded hardware is so painful it hurts.
And the software ecosystem _is_ terrible. Sure, if you want to shell out somewhere near 5000$ for one piece software, it's great, but it's so annoying to find anything free when the same applications are free on Linux (not the programs themselves, just the application they're used for. Like screen recording.)
On the other hand, it is very well done until you run into backwards compatibility issues. Wanna run OS9 apps? Too bad.
If MS had done that our economy would be in the dumps.
(Ok, no. DOSbox and FreeDOS popularity would skyrocket.)

joninkrakow
September 6th, 2008, 07:44 AM
Why do all these polls never have the option _I_ want/need? ;-)

I voted that MacOS is worth it, but I have caveats.

1. You want a bullet-proof system and hardware that runs right out of the box, and you don't want/need to have to work on configuration either for looks or hardware. Also, you want a system that can work, pretty much as-is for a number of years.

2. You have "special needs" for graphics or video, or work in publishing, specifically CYMK color. And related with this, you have specific software needs that are OSX-only.

While Ubuntu is my daily-work machine, I have kept my Mac in Tiger because its color management is supreme to everything else out there. GIMP finally has brought some of that, but it's not system-wide, nor is color management ingrained in printing. I get inconsistent results. Also, I prefer wide gamut work on my photography, and the software I use makes it work without thinking. I also use my Mac for video work and even audio (although I believe audio is one of Linux's strong points--I haven't had time to work on it to learn it yet).

There are other elements of the MacOS that are just a joy to use that I miss in Ubuntu. The Services menu is a wonderful toy--hilite your text and choose from dozens of choices--look up a definition, copy it to your text editor, open it as a url or email address, convert to all caps, or remove all caps, copy the snippet to your "catchall" (Like Tomboy notes), send files to BlueTooth devices, and many, many more. One of the coolest is the "summarize" command that uses about the most intelligent system to take long texts, and summarize them into a tiny paragraph or two--or longer or shorter if you want. I use it to compact long web pages or articles I get in my emails. Great for getting the "exectutive summary". The Services menu is something I use not too frequently, but when I need it, I _really_ need it. :-) Something else I miss is the Finder's columns view. I loved the ancient icon view, but since I've gotten used to columns, everything else is just second-rate for me. ;-) Also, the OSX Dock is just so much better for me than the competition. I like my apps to have only one icon on the dock, not an icon for each window. That's primarily because that's what I'm used to, but I prefer the lack of clutter, especially on my Wind's tiny screen. :-) Lastly, I prefer OSX's Open and Save dialog box windows, and their consistency. However, I do _not_ want my Ubuntu to look or act like OSX. I want it to look and act like Linux, so I don't have an OSX look-alike theme. I still plan to change the location of the titlebar buttons, however, to the left side, just to be consistent... I keep getting confused. ;-)

All that said, other than numbered item 2 above, everything else, while nice, is not essential for me.

Now that I've praised OSX, I want to praise Ubuntu Linux. I much prefer its speed, its ability to install on a variety of hardware, and customize it so it matches the capabilities perfectly. I love apt, and the whole package management system. I love the Bible software that is available only on Linux (ok, so I compiled it to run under OSX on my Mac, but it was a hassle, and slow there) I like how OpenOffice.org, Firefox and other apps actually _work_ under Linux, instead of seeming like they were "hacked-in". I'm coming to love Banshee, and love how wireless works with whatever hardware I throw at it. (You can add non-Airport wifi to a Mac, but it's a major hassle). Oh, and I love how the command line is much better integrated with the whole system, and I love, love, love middle-click paste. ;-) I love being able to swap window managers (and love Icewm and LXDE), but I also love the Gnome "Places" menu in Ubuntu....

I enjoy the quirkiness that is Linux, and the oddball people that use it and who congregate here to discuss it, and help each other out. :-)

Actually, in my experience, it is the community spirit that infuses both the Mac community and the Linux community that is right at the top of the list for me. I do not see, as I do with Windows, the Mac and Linux as being opposites or in competition. I see them as long-lost brothers or sisters. ;-) I only wish that developers would take more hints from the MacOS user interface than from the Windows interface. Apple really gets it, and Windows never will... Why imitate the loser? (Actually, I would like to see Linux let go of the past, and work on something that really stretches the envelope...)

-Jon

misfitpierce
September 6th, 2008, 08:33 AM
I had a newer macbook intel but ditched it b/c of probs running Ubuntu on it... Mac OSX just couldnt feed my computing needs so I tried Ubuntu and it failed on it... So now my HP lappy runs it smooth as silk with no problems at all. Very happy with Ubuntu and only Ubuntu.

jespdj
September 6th, 2008, 08:51 AM
The question "which is better, Ubuntu or OS X?" is not meaningful if you don't specify better for what.

qazwsx
September 6th, 2008, 08:58 AM
Too simplified.
Filemanager sucks. Konqueror wins it 999999999-3 featurewise.

ctrl+alt+F<1-6> ?
No free upgrades.

Closed source desktop makes me nervous (privacy).

Sometimes I really prefer commandline even for simple video editing. Commandline is easy fast and simple once you read through couple of man pages.

Drag and drop everything ... I hate that.

Docks sucks. Panel combined with shortcuts, window listing, calculator, command executer, notification area and clock does much beter job ;)

Dixon Bainbridge
September 6th, 2008, 09:06 AM
No OS is either better than another, or works flawlessly - FACT. How well an OS functions is generally down to the user and how they use it and what they use if for.

I find OSX for the way I use it, slow and infuriating. My mate thinks its liquid sex. He uses it for a different purpose to me. Is the OS at fault? probably not. Its just been used differently.

EDIT: And yes, the filemanager in OSX does suck majorly. And thats important in an OS.

Jonathan45
September 6th, 2008, 09:11 AM
I Voted they are equally good because i like the open-source and flexibility of linux and its fast!:guitar:

But i am very interested in audio and video management + time machine because i usually not on purpose find a way to **** up my computer and i like the very simple Finder.

But Macs aren't worth the price...:popcorn:

Tindytim
September 6th, 2008, 10:31 AM
If you have a difficult time doing basic things on a computer, you shouldn't be using a computer, or learn how to use one properly.

Ubuntu > OSX

There maybe a few rare cases where OSX is better suited for somethings, but those are few and far between. Ubuntu Pre-install will almost always beat Pre-Installed OSX.

kirsis
September 6th, 2008, 11:12 AM
Well I'm gonna go against the grain here and vote in favor of OS X.

Admittedly, I haven't used it a lot, but the impression I get is that I could do everything I need to do just as easily on OS X + I think it's way more polished. Linux distributions feel like various components with incompatible edges roughly glued together, wheras OS X feels very tight.

What I like a lot more about Linux OSes, though, is that I can see them evolve constantly. With OS X, they just drop a new version every now and then - "bwam, here you go, enjoy the new features".

Saint Angeles
September 6th, 2008, 11:19 AM
after spending $2000 on an ibook and having the graphics chip melt off a year later, apple denied there was a problem with that model (even though a google search brings up hundreds of separate instances). i grew up on mac classic and later, the system 7 (classic... but with COLOR!!!) before switching to win98 and XP. in college (music school) i was convinced i needed a mac for audio editing and thats where i got screwed. i'll never listen to another person ever again.

i dont see how OSX offers any more usability than linux. i mean, they limit how you can make your computer look, how you can make it behave, and any other tweaking of code. how can you have a better system than linux, where every file can be modified to your liking?

Canis familiaris
September 6th, 2008, 11:21 AM
I have never used OSX, so I really cant say.

Saint Angeles
September 6th, 2008, 11:22 AM
I have never used OSX, so I really cant say.
just imagine ubuntu but without any features and you've got OS X.

(i'm sorry if this offends anybody here... i really love all the people that use OS X and i'm really really sorry that i have a differing opinion than other people on this site.)

R_T_H
September 6th, 2008, 02:15 PM
Apple is MUCH worse then Microsoft when it comes to proprietary software. And they are very overpriced.

My thoughts are very similar. +1

Cew27
September 6th, 2008, 03:01 PM
without the price i still wouldnt choose osx, why choose to be emprisoned when you can choose to be set free

Anzan
September 6th, 2008, 03:24 PM
My sig expresses my view.

god0fgod
September 6th, 2008, 04:41 PM
lol Well I'll see if I made a mistake or not when I buy a MacBook. The new range should be comming around soon. I'm sure I will love OS X.

hanzomon4
September 6th, 2008, 05:40 PM
I have no time to learn about a stagnant, proprietary and privative operating system like OS X. It's interesting to know about it from a geek's standpoint, but you can't do real, serious computing with OSX, and in my academic environment there's no money or resources to throw around for systems that provide no additional value.

Ubuntu works great on my systems, and it's far more powerful for research and academic work. There's just no point of comparison from that standpoint.

Virgina Tech seems to like Mac Pros (http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2008/07/24/virginia-tech-building-supercomputer-out-of-324-mac-pros)

Tindytim
September 7th, 2008, 04:17 PM
Virgina Tech seems to like Mac Pros (http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2008/07/24/virginia-tech-building-supercomputer-out-of-324-mac-pros)
I'm sure a cluster system isn't going to be running OSX. Which makes it rather moot as far as the OS argument.

I'm sure they picked them because their hardware is solid, and they probably got a great deal from Apple (They bought in Bulk, AND it's huge publicity).

billgoldberg
September 7th, 2008, 05:07 PM
Ubuntu is better for me for a multitude of reasons.

I couldn't work in a closed OS anymore after tasting freedom.

hanzomon4
September 9th, 2008, 12:10 AM
I'm sure a cluster system isn't going to be running OSX. Which makes it rather moot as far as the OS argument.

I'm sure they picked them because their hardware is solid, and they probably got a great deal from Apple (They bought in Bulk, AND it's huge publicity).

The last one(System X) used OSX server

SunnyRabbiera
September 9th, 2008, 12:29 AM
Ubuntu, as you can practically install it on any computer, OSX only works on Apple computers unless you hackentosh your computer.

kaspar_silas
September 9th, 2008, 12:56 AM
Ubuntu for sure. I might even go with XP (shock horror) ahead of OS X thou that is probably just cause I have previously used it so much.

I hate the path Apple is taking with copyright stuff. I was lucky enough to have an early iPod and associated itunes. But this did mean I have got to watch the version by version "progress" slowly to a state that Sony would be proud of.

I also have found over the years that Linux users are by far the most computer savy. I think that years of things just working take a bit of the sparkle away when it actually works.

stmiller
September 9th, 2008, 04:31 AM
There is really nothing you can do in a Mac environment that you can't do in a GNU/Linux environment.

Applications.

Final Cut, Logic, etc.

Pro audio and video apps are where Apple is king.

SunnyRabbiera
September 9th, 2008, 05:16 AM
Applications.

Final Cut, Logic, etc.

Pro audio and video apps are where Apple is king.

perhaps, but being able to work on almaost every computer gives buntu the edge, and who knows what the future will bring.

scouser73
September 9th, 2008, 07:33 AM
I've never used a Mac, only been windows, then I found out about Ubuntu, have never looked back, it works for me and that is a massive bonus in my eyes, none of the headaches I had with Windows.

graabein
September 9th, 2008, 08:50 AM
Mac is proprietary, expensive and ugly white plastic IMHO.

andrewpmk
September 9th, 2008, 09:11 AM
Don't like Mac very much, had a MacBook Pro bought in early 2007 for a while but sold it. It is an OK choice for newbies, but I found that for power users it is severely limited. The bundled software is, except for Safari, not very good, and I mostly never used it. The interface is full of eyecandy but I find it unintuitive - the "dock" is a stupid design, in my opinion, and I found it weird that menus were at the top of the screen. The terminal is poorly designed and not very useful. I also found that performance was quite sluggish even with 2GB of RAM (and it was unacceptable with the included 1GB of RAM). Furthermore, the hardware was poor quality in my opinion.

Ubuntu may still have problems with drivers on certain hardware, but aside from that, I find its interface much more intuitive than Mac. All it lacks is certain expensive proprietary software (e.g. Photoshop).

Greyed
September 9th, 2008, 09:25 AM

Play WoW natively...

;)

I voted them as equals. They are two sides of the same coin.

OSX - Unix core, commercial sugar and backing, not Microsoft crud.
Ubuntu - Unix core, OS sugar and backing, not Microsoft crud.

I'd kill to have one or the other become a viable PC gaming platform. I don't care which so long as I can get away from Microsoft's OS for the only thing that keeps it on my machine; games.

archer6
September 9th, 2008, 10:40 PM
Ubuntu Wins Hands Down ...... Period!

And I speak from experience as a hard core laptop / OS addict.

Reading this thread has put a big smile on my face. It's been so refreshing to read input from real people. Not Apple Zealots / Cult of Mac lemmings, or other such "Believers" of one S. Jobs. A man who I will credit as one of the greatest "Ringmasters" since Barnum & Bailey. A snake oil salesman who makes honesty look criminal. I've had new PowerBooks dating to the beginning (140) and a MacBook, MacBook Pro, etc. Only because I do like variety and change. However all of that was before migrating to Ubuntu 8.04. An OS that suits me just fine thank you. One that gives me the flexibility to do the different things I want and enjoy the results.

I belong to many forums, but each and every time I try a Mac Forum in an attempt to give them the benefit of the doubt, I end up having the same experience. It's like a room of little kids fighting over their toys. Everyone's got a huge ego, they must be right, they must rant about how their toys are the best and nothing else matters. Not the type of "crowd" I have any interest in hanging around with.

Every other forum, is filled with adults, intelligent interesting people that are there for a common purpose. To share, to learn, to grow and to contribute. Telling, very telling indeed.

Cheers! Viva Le Choice......:)

lukin
September 9th, 2008, 11:04 PM
Ubuntu is way better than osx period people.

hanzomon4
September 10th, 2008, 11:37 PM
What, in terms of power use, can't you do in OSX that you can do in Ubuntu?

The only thing I can think of is changing the WM/DE, but I just checked and you can totally run Gnome/KDE in OS X.

grossaffe
September 11th, 2008, 12:11 AM
I voted Ubuntu is better, but not because I'm a homer or because I hate Apple (which is true), but because Ubuntu has to be compatible with a much wider range of hardware where Apple just makes it work with their locked down stuff. People could easily make a Linux distribution that "just works" if they only had an extremely limited set of hardware they had to support.

archer6
September 11th, 2008, 03:05 AM
Recent experience, reveals to me it's really just a matter of personal preference....;)