PDA

View Full Version : Why is free software so popular in places like Brazil?

Mazza558
September 5th, 2008, 10:57 PM
If you look at the people who have contributed to free software, there are a lot of people who come from nearly developed countries, such as Brazil and Mexico. Why do you think this is?

zmjjmz
September 5th, 2008, 11:01 PM
I've heard that all the cars there run on ethanol.
I don't know why though, maybe it has to do with the cost of proprietary software?
They don't like their dependence on the American economy? (That's a good thing by the way. Remember what happened in 1930?)

LaRoza
September 5th, 2008, 11:05 PM
If you look at the people who have contributed to free software, there are a lot of people who come from nearly developed countries, such as Brazil and Mexico. Why do you think this is?

Because it isn't dependant on location. As long as the internet reaches, it is possible to do work.

tom66
September 5th, 2008, 11:07 PM
Many places, like Brazil and India, are starting to realize that by funding the IT industry, specifically the training part, it will significantly boost their position in the world. Computers are vital these days, whoever has the best computer infrastructure can pull more money from jobs and such. But, people cannot fund the software, so they pirate it or get FOSS. Pirating it can lead to prosecution, Microsoft shoots themselves in their own foot by prosecuting or stopping people using pirated Windows, because then you get dependence if you let them continue, they depend on you...

Mazza558
September 6th, 2008, 12:17 AM
Because it isn't dependant on location. As long as the internet reaches, it is possible to do work.

Good point.

LateNiteTV
September 6th, 2008, 12:21 AM
also because proprietary software companies(MS) charge the up the ***.

pedro3005
September 6th, 2008, 12:22 AM
i live in brazil.. computers here are getting more famous each day.. but yes, there is a lot of piracy.. almost like everyone who owns a computer (wich is not rare) got at least something wich is not original.. its not unusual to buy 3 dollars windows xp cd's from people who announce at the newspaper...

loell
September 6th, 2008, 12:23 AM
the key is their government. :)

fballem
September 6th, 2008, 12:54 AM
They don't like their dependence on the American economy? (That's a good thing by the way. Remember what happened in 1930?)

My South American history is very rusty - what happened in 1930? If you wouldn't mind enlightening me, I would be grateful. Given that it's off topic for this thread, if you wanted to start another thread, that would probably be most appropriate.

Many, many thanks!

-grubby
September 6th, 2008, 12:55 AM
My South American history is very rusty - what happened in 1930? If you wouldn't mind enlightening me, I would be grateful. Given that it's off topic for this thread, if you wanted to start another thread, that would probably be most appropriate.

Many, many thanks!

The US stock market plummeted, it's called The Great Depression (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Depression)

earthpigg
September 6th, 2008, 01:38 AM
i would try to answer that quesiton by asking why rich nations ~are~ such fans of things being copyrighted, owned, etc.

cuz that outlook on business/life made those nations rich, and continues to make them rich. say what you want about M$, it brings money into the american economy.

phrostbyte
September 6th, 2008, 01:43 AM

I think the whole sharing is caring and community first ideals that are often part of the free software movement is a big part of Latin/Hispanic culture. So FOSS comes naturally to many of them.

fballem
September 6th, 2008, 01:54 AM
The US stock market plummeted, it's called The Great Depression (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Depression)

Thanks for the clarification. I had assumed that there was a specific event in Brazil.

HermanAB
September 6th, 2008, 03:13 AM
One BIG reason is language. Microsoft support for world languages is quite pathetic. Free software allows anyone to translate software into any language and that makes computers and software more accessible.