PDA

View Full Version : A web deals sticky thread?

fatality_uk
September 5th, 2008, 10:38 PM
I know this could get abused very quickly, but how about a web deals sticky or thread? I have seen a few great offers recently and would like to share these here.

I know section 5 of the CoC

If a post or thread contains spam (unsolicited advertising) it will be moved to the forum jail and the poster may be banned.
essentially prevents this, but if there were a way to do it, can we have it please :)

LaRoza
September 5th, 2008, 10:40 PM
What kind of "deals"?

Mazza558
September 5th, 2008, 10:45 PM
It'd be good if it was deals solely based on Ubuntu-friendly parts/periperals.

fatality_uk
September 5th, 2008, 10:47 PM
Well sometimes sites have offers and discount vouchers for hardware etc that make it worthwhile. Sometimes high street stores have great prices for items such as graphics cards, PC's or even software.

I obviously wouldn't want it to be used to spam loads of rubbish deals, but if people can save £30-£50 on a new piece of kit, software or package, I am guessing people would be up for sharing that!

fatality_uk
September 5th, 2008, 10:48 PM
It'd be good if it was deals solely based on Ubuntu-friendly parts/periperals.

Good comment Mazza. That would have to be the link I am guessing. As long as people were running Ubuntu with success on the part, that could fit in!

Mazza558
September 5th, 2008, 11:01 PM
Good comment Mazza. That would have to be the link I am guessing. As long as people were running Ubuntu with success on the part, that could fit in!

Adding to my previous comment, how about people structuring their posts like this?

[Type (e.g is it a whole laptop, a CPU, a webcam, etc?)] [Name of part] [rating for easy of use with latest Ubuntu, 5 being plug and play, 1 being needs some tweaks/edits to work]

So, a proper post would be like:

[Laptop] [Dell Latitude X120XL3000] [5]

"Hey, found a good deal for this laptop at [place], [here's the link], it works out of the box with Ubuntu."

or

[Webcam] [ZoomieEye XP940 Pro ZoomyX2 Edition Product] [4]

"I love this webcam so much. Link here. To get it working on Ubuntu it's pretty easy, just search for the package "zoomy-driver" in the repos and install it, and it will work with skype and all other programs which support webcams."

fatality_uk
September 5th, 2008, 11:03 PM
Works for me!

Biochem
September 5th, 2008, 11:21 PM
Being the devils advocate here, What about country.

Most of those good deals are country specific or won't ship outside this or that country. Just look at neweggs that is good for review but useless for deals if you live outside the United States. That thread would become almost useless pretty fast.

Mazza558
September 5th, 2008, 11:28 PM
Being the devils advocate here, What about country.

Most of those good deals are country specific or won't ship outside this or that country. Just look at neweggs that is good for review but useless for deals if you live outside the United States. That thread would become almost useless pretty fast.

[US] or [UK] could work.

Biochem
September 6th, 2008, 04:33 AM
[US] or [UK] could work.

What about Canada, Mexico, France, China, Tibet, Australia, Liban, Soudan, South Africa ...

There is more than 2 country in the world you know.

Mazza558
September 6th, 2008, 09:16 AM
What about Canada, Mexico, France, China, Tibet, Australia, Liban, Soudan, South Africa ...

There is more than 2 country in the world you know.

Of course, but the forums are dominated by those 2 countries. There are also more than 2 country suffixes in the world.

fatality_uk
September 6th, 2008, 03:15 PM
No reason not to included a conutry code, but I am guessing a French web site is not liekly to want to ship to Canada! For instance, PC World have some good offers here in the UK but I think they are UK only.

If the mods have no objections, can we proceed? If so, can I get a post here or a PM please? Many thanks.