PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Changing desktops using scroll wheel

benerivo
September 5th, 2008, 08:44 PM
Is there a setting that allows me to change desktops (go from desktop 1 to desktop 2) using the mouse scroll wheel, whilst the cursor is anywhere on the desktop background. I'm not using compiz and i wouldn't like to always have to move the cursor over to the pager on the panel. It's the main thing i liked from trying out fluxbox and openbox.

benerivo
September 6th, 2008, 09:27 AM
bumped.

I didn't think this was possible, but i've bumped just in case.

ad_267
September 6th, 2008, 10:02 AM
I've subscribed just in case it's possible too, but I think this only works with Compiz.

ronnielsen1
September 6th, 2008, 12:25 PM
Is there a setting that allows me to change desktops (go from desktop 1 to desktop 2) using the mouse scroll wheel, whilst the cursor is anywhere on the desktop background.
Now if your mouse is over the desktop pagers it will do that

breaddawson
September 6th, 2008, 02:44 PM
Hi, actually i'm always changing desktops like this, but not only by mouse wheels, I bind Ctrl+Alt+Mouse Wheels.

What i did is modify the settings in

Compiz -> Desktop Wall -> Bindings -> Move within Wall

Then i bind "Move Next" to Ctrl-Alt-Button5 which is wheel down
and "Move Prev" to Ctrl-Alt-Button4 which is wheel up

Hope these help

ZeldaFan
September 6th, 2008, 02:49 PM
Hi, actually i'm always changing desktops like this, but not only by mouse wheels, I bind Ctrl+Alt+Mouse Wheels.

What i did is modify the settings in

Compiz -> Desktop Wall -> Bindings -> Move within Wall

Then i bind "Move Next" to Ctrl-Alt-Button5 which is wheel down
and "Move Prev" to Ctrl-Alt-Button4 which is wheel up

Hope these help

I dont think he wanted to use compiz, but GTK instead (standard gnome). Here's how:
Go to system -> preferences -> keyboard shortcuts
Scroll down until you see "Move one workspace to the left" and "Move workspace to the right". You can change the keyboard shortcut, but you may also be able to assign a mouse shortcut as well, I'm not completely sure.

benerivo
September 6th, 2008, 03:09 PM
Go to system -> preferences -> keyboard shortcuts
Scroll down until you see "Move one workspace to the left" and "Move workspace to the right". You can change the keyboard shortcut, but you may also be able to assign a mouse shortcut as well, I'm not completely sure.Thanks for the tip ZeldaFan, but this does only allow keyboard shortcuts.

alfu
January 7th, 2010, 08:58 PM
In 9.04 on my Toshiba laptop, scrollwheel on the background would swap workspaces, but in 9.1 it no longer does this.

I wish it could -- it was a nice feature in Ubuntu, that I used to use when showing off the O/S to prospective adopters.

MooPi
January 7th, 2010, 10:07 PM
That feature is standard with Openbox. Another way of getting this feature is to enable Compiz.

LuisGMarine
January 7th, 2010, 11:10 PM
I have compiz and Ubuntu 9.10 and I just found out my scroll doesn't work anymore >.< uh oh!

ad_267
January 8th, 2010, 09:02 PM
I have compiz and Ubuntu 9.10 and I just found out my scroll doesn't work anymore >.< uh oh!

I think the setting was disabled in 9.10 because it was too easy to do accidentally and some people wouldn't know what happened when they accidentally changed workspace. Just enable it again from the Compiz Config Settings Manager. It's in there somewhere.

stinkeye
January 9th, 2010, 04:33 AM
Viewport switcher

LuisGMarine
January 9th, 2010, 05:48 AM
cool thanks I think that I need to go out and try it!

monikgtr
January 12th, 2010, 06:46 AM
Viewport switcher
I wanted to fix that too! Thanks! That config in Viewport Switcher fixed it :D

(on Ubuntu Karmic)

LuisGMarine
January 12th, 2010, 08:11 PM
I found out that if I just hoover over my gnome-docky workspace plugin and due the scroll wheel switch it works. Also I've enabled some options to rotate my desktop with clicking and holding the scroll wheel while I move left or right into a new desktop. Gives me like a flipping a picture effect. Pretty neat stuff.

stinkeye
January 12th, 2010, 08:28 PM
I found out that if I just hoover over my gnome-docky workspace plugin and due the scroll wheel switch it works. Also I've enabled some options to rotate my desktop with clicking and holding the scroll wheel while I move left or right into a new desktop. Gives me like a flipping a picture effect. Pretty neat stuff.
You might like easystroke (http://sourceforge.net/projects/easystroke/files/) a mouse gestures program. plenty of options for making custom shortcuts.
Tip:Change the gesture button to button 3.
Set a downstroke gesture to the End key and an upstroke gesture to the Home key
to easily navigate forum pages.