PDA

View Full Version : Can iPhone be customized or is it locked?

Majorix
September 5th, 2008, 06:18 PM
In 3 weeks time, iPhone will be coming to where I live.

I am planning to buy one, but I have a few questions in my mind which didn't seem to be answered on Apple's site.

So the questions are:
1. Can it be filled with custom applications created by me or some other programmer?
2. Can you transfer movies/mp3's on it which don't stem from iTunes?
3. Will there be any next gen iPhone? Like iPhone 4G or something?

Thanks for clearing things up for me :)

cawill
September 5th, 2008, 06:21 PM
Depends if you are considering jailbreaking or not?

Majorix
September 5th, 2008, 06:28 PM
Sorry never heard of the term "jailbreaking". But it sounds illegal?!

If it is illegal just forget about it. If not can you link me to a page where I can read?

rune0077
September 5th, 2008, 06:46 PM
Sorry never heard of the term "jailbreaking". But it sounds illegal?!

If it is illegal just forget about it. If not can you link me to a page where I can read?

Not illegal, but it'll void your guarantee. After, you can install 3rd party apps, change the theme, etc. It also means you can ssh into it and change stuff yourself, if you know what you're doing. You won't be able to use it probably (read: transfer music to it) with Linux unless you jailbreak it.

Nano Geek
September 5th, 2008, 06:53 PM
In 3 weeks time, iPhone will be coming to where I live.

I am planning to buy one, but I have a few questions in my mind which didn't seem to be answered on Apple's site.

So the questions are:
1. Can it be filled with custom applications created by me or some other programmer?
2. Can you transfer movies/mp3's on it which don't stem from iTunes?
3. Will there be any next gen iPhone? Like iPhone 4G or something?

Thanks for clearing things up for me :)1. Yes. To create your own you have to own a Mac and buy Apple's development kit, but you can also download free and for-pay apps form iTunes.
2. Yes, as long as they are in a format that iTunes can read/convert. MP3, AAC, AVI, WMV, WMA, ect.
3.Eventually yes, but the 3G version just came out this summer so I bet it will be at least next year before Apple comes out with a new phone.

Nano Geek
September 5th, 2008, 06:55 PM
Not illegal, but it'll void your guarantee. After, you can install 3rd party apps, change the theme, etc. It also means you can ssh into it and change stuff yourself, if you know what you're doing. You won't be able to use it probably (read: transfer music to it) with Linux unless you jailbreak it.You might be able to. Depends on whether the Linux devs figure out how to break Apples hash code.

However, I would not suggest jailbreaking your iPhone unless you are knowledgeable with computers and are prepared to fix it yourself if something goes wrong.

rune0077
September 5th, 2008, 07:00 PM
However, I would not suggest jailbreaking your iPhone unless you are knowledgeable with computers and are prepared to fix it yourself if something goes wrong.

It didn't require much computer knowledge for me. I just ran a program, and it did all the hard work :) I did need a Mac, though, because the program was not available for Windows back then. This was not a 3G-phone, and it's unlikely that a similar program is already available for those, so you may have to be patient.

Anyway, in a worse case scenario, you can just plug it into a Windows or Mac machine, launch iTunes and select "restore" and everything will be back to normal. Jailbreaking only messes up the software, which is easily restored.

Tindytim
September 5th, 2008, 07:17 PM
Looking for an ibuntu? =P

Majorix
September 5th, 2008, 07:47 PM
Thanks for the input, people.

I got a little more confused after reading this :D

But I guess I am still going to go for a "jailbroken" iPhone.

Looking for an ibuntu? =P
Lol did it show my age with Ubuntu and alike? :p